What is gravity?

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 10:48:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Gravity is a sexy mistress.

Gravity is like God's love dragging us into big hugs.

Gravity would also be my higher power if I was in AA, because Gravity can fvck a nygga up.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 11:52:38 AM
At 4/24/2011 10:16:08 AM, Ogan wrote:

Can anyone explain the inexplicable - gravity? What is attraction? What is repulsion? And what is balance?

A force of attraction is one where the direction of the force is towards that body, a force of repulsion is one where the direction is away from the body. Balance is achieved when the sum of all force on a body is zero.

The current concept of gravity is that it is simply curvature in space-time and thus when objects are moving under gravity they are just moving to a position of lowest energy or traveling in equipotential lines.

There are a number of competing ideas which are challenging that however as they attempt to merge the ideas of general relativity with quantum theory so as to provide a theory of gravity that works on very small dimensions and time scales.
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 5:30:49 PM
At 4/24/2011 11:52:38 AM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

Can anyone explain the inexplicable - gravity? What is attraction? What is repulsion? And what is balance?

A force of attraction is one where the direction of the force is towards that body, a force of repulsion is one where the direction is away from the body. Balance is achieved when the sum of all force on a body is zero.

The current concept of gravity is that it is simply curvature in space-time and thus when objects are moving under gravity they are just moving to a position of lowest energy or traveling in equipotential lines.

There are a number of competing ideas which are challenging that however as they attempt to merge the ideas of general relativity with quantum theory so as to provide a theory of gravity that works on very small dimensions and time scales.

The first paragraph virtually everyone knows.
The point of my question was "does anyone know what gravity actually is?" I assume no one actually knows the answer at the moment - unless I am mistaken - so just to test this I posed the question. Perhaps I should have asked "What is the cause of gravity?"
It's similar to asking "what is the substance of flame made of". Why any body should be attracted and/or repulsed by another body I suggest still remains a mystery to this day.
In the ancient times they called attraction – love, and repulsion – hate. The alchemists called attraction – love, or a kind of glue that held everything together – an interestingly quaint idea.
So regarding this mysterious question of gravity, we are all ‘in the air' as were regarding its solution.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 8:42:46 PM
At 4/24/2011 5:30:49 PM, Ogan wrote:

The point of my question was "does anyone know what gravity actually is?" I assume no one actually knows the answer at the moment - unless I am mistaken - so just to test this I posed the question. Perhaps I should have asked "What is the cause of gravity?"

The current understanding is as noted in the above, what you see as attraction is simply a body moving along a potential line in space time, there is no "attraction" per say between bodies, that is a very old view which has long been replaced. There is nothing mystical there and this explanation for the nature of gravity explains most of what we observe aside from QT issues and some very large scale issues which are currently proposed to be either perturbations in the theory or dark mass bodies.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 5:49:22 AM

Gravity is a LIE. There is no gravity just like there is no evolution.

Gravity is just used to get God out of the class room, INTELLIGENT MOVEMENT of OBJECTS !!!

Teach the CONTROVERSY !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 5:56:19 AM
At 4/24/2011 10:48:56 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Gravity is a sexy mistress.

Gravity is like God's love dragging us into big hugs.

Gravity would also be my higher power if I was in AA, because Gravity can fvck a nygga up.

Discordians: Endless spewers of the most righteous quotableness.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 7:16:57 AM
At 4/24/2011 8:42:46 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
At 4/24/2011 5:30:49 PM, Ogan wrote:

The current understanding is as noted in the above, what you see as attraction is simply a body moving along a potential line in space time, there is no "attraction" per say between bodies, that is a very old view which has long been replaced. There is nothing mystical there and this explanation for the nature of gravity explains most of what we observe aside from QT issues and some very large scale issues which are currently proposed to be either perturbations in the theory or dark mass bodies.

If there is no attraction between bodies, why is every atom and molecule drawn by ‘force' toward the centre of the earth, until it reaches its balancing point? For example, in the case of H2O molecules, water will not stop flowing from the circumference of the sphere to the centre - until stopped by some solid, or evaporated back to higher levels by heat. What is it that attracts it (water); why does it not just leave the surface of the sphere and float around in space if there is no attraction? In the case of atmospheric gases, these find their natural balancing point at a much higher level, but they also seem to be attracted from the circumference to the centre and do not float off into space, even though they reach the very ‘edge' of it.
Whether there is anything ‘mystical' or not has nothing to do with the present question, we are trying to understand by what ‘force' or ‘agency' do all things in the universe, from immense galaxies right down to the atoms and sub-atomic particles, naturally gel into spheres.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 2:12:57 PM
At 4/25/2011 7:16:57 AM, Ogan wrote:

If there is no attraction between bodies, why is every atom and molecule drawn by ‘force' toward the centre of the earth, until it reaches its balancing point?

I noted this in the above, this paradigm of viewing gravity as as interaction between bodies comes from Newton, the current understanding is that this is not the case, objects move as would be expected due to the curvature of space time as noted in theory of general relativity. If you go online there are simultors which show these space time curvatures, this is a general assignment in usually early grad or late ugrad studies for someone who specializes in GR.

Whether there is anything ‘mystical' or not has nothing to do with the present question, we are trying to understand by what ‘force' or ‘agency' do all things in the universe, from immense galaxies right down to the atoms and sub-atomic particles, naturally gel into spheres.

This is all apparent if you look at the equations of general relativity, however these are tensor equations (essentially tendors are to vectors what vectors are to scalars) so you need a decent math background in order to interpret them.
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:29:42 PM
Cliff.Stamp: I noted this in the above, this paradigm of viewing gravity as an interaction between bodies comes from Newton, the current understanding is that this is not the case, objects move as would be expected due to the curvature of space time as noted in theory of general relativity.

Ogan: Although I respect the intensive efforts since Newton to make sense of Gravity, surely we are still struggling to understand it with one theory after another? I realise that's the only way one can proceed, especially when it's already decided that the theory must refer to a ‘mechanical' or an ‘accidental' cause, rather than a ‘living' or ‘planned' cause. I also realise of course that a living or planned cause can't be proved either – whatever mystical or religious teaching is used.
Someone once said, and I quote loosely, that had Newton realised to what mechanical theories his great work would be subjected, he would have quietly eaten his apple and never breathed a word about any laws connected with its fall, but that's by the way.
The Ancient Teachings offer another solution with two substances; one of which is of a negative polarity; the material nature known to the animal senses, and the other, though invisible to animal sense, of a positive polarity. The negative is attracted to the positive forming spheres, while the positive has a self repulsive force expanding all things. Of course that's just a statement of mine not the teaching itself, but I must admit that I find it far more interesting than any theoretical mathematics – but that's only my personal view.
But thanks for an honest presentation of the situation, though one would have to spend much time advancing in maths to reach a position of general understanding of the present theories, which I leave to those who have more time and are attracted to such methods of thinking and measuring – nevertheless, it is very much appreciated.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:36:21 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:29:42 PM, Ogan wrote:

... surely we are still struggling to understand it with one theory after another?

No more than any other aspect of science.

But thanks for an honest presentation of the situation, though one would have to spend much time advancing in maths to reach a position of general understanding of the present theories, which I leave to those who have more time and are attracted to such methods of thinking and measuring – nevertheless, it is very much appreciated.

Yes, especially if you wanted to understand the current attempts to develop a theory which unifies gravity with quantum theory.

In regards to the nature of science, one of my favorite commentaries on this issue is by Feynman who is asked about the ultimate theory.

Feynman talks about that science may simply be like an onion in which we are forever peeling away layers getting one higher and more complete solution after another, we may never ever reach the ultimate theory of everything.

When asked about this, he simply smiles and makes it clear that to him the enjoyment is in peeling back the layers and the discovery of each one.
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 2:07:24 PM
Cliff,
This is more my area of science, which I find deeply connected to my personal views:

Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research

Scientific Study of Consciousness-Related Physical Phenomena

Implications and Applications
PEAR activities are motivated by three overarching goals:

Basic Science
Accommodation of the observed anomalies within a functional scientific framework will require the explicit inclusion of consciousness as an active agent in the establishment of physical reality. This expansion of the scientific paradigm demands more courageous theoretical structures than exist at present, guided by more comprehensive empirical data than is now available, acquired via more cooperative interdisciplinary collaborations than are currently practiced. PEAR has enduring roles to play in all three aspects of this search.

Technological Applications
Despite the small scale of the observed consciousness-related anomalies, they could be functionally devastating to many types of contemporary information processing systems, especially those relying on random reference signals. Such concern could apply to aircraft cockpits and ICBM silos; to surgical facilities and trauma response equipment; to environmental and disaster control technology; or to any other technical scenarios where the emotions of human operators may intensify their interactions with the controlling devices and processes. Indeed, the extraordinarily sophisticated equipment that generates much of the fundamental data on which modern science is based cannot be excluded from this potential vulnerability. Protection against such consciousness-related interference could become essential to the design and operation of many future information acquisition and processing systems. On the positive side, since these same research results provide important technical evidence of the precious process of human creativity, they offer the promising possibility of a new genre of human/machine systems that will enable more creative performance in all manner of applications from medicine to management, from manufacturing to communications, from education to recreation.

Cultural Implications
Beyond its scientific impact and its technological applications, clear evidence of an active role of consciousness in the establishment of reality holds sweeping implications for our view of ourselves, our relationship to others, and to the cosmos in which we exist. These, in turn, must inevitably impact our values, our priorities, our sense of responsibility, and our style of life. Integration of these changes across the society can lead to a substantially superior cultural ethic, wherein the long-estranged siblings of science and spirit, of analysis and aesthetics, of intellect and intuition, and of many other subjective and objective aspects of human experience will be productively reunited.