Jump to topic:

9/11 "Truthers" Harass Shermer at Book Event

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:16:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Harras"? Really? He was asking questions in a very calm manner. That's not harassment.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:14:32 AM
I actually agree with Geo, "harass" seems to strong a word. That said, I thought Shermer made excellent points in response to their questions.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 11:04:37 AM
That was my thought, nor, as an outside observer would I appreciate the manner in which he answered the question as he first launched into commentary on the speaker, who had to appreciate (to the delight of the audience) "are you going to aswer the question". He also avoided some of the specific questions - "does the public have a right/interest to know the truth". Of course it is implicit there that there something hidden.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:16:18 PM
i always thought shermer was kind of a dick lol. which kinda sucks cause he's one of the most popular/widely known skeptics out there.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:59:49 PM
I would not go that far, but I don't think he represents skeptics well. He has a recent debate with D'Souza and from what I have seen so far he makes D'Souza come off as likable, reasonable and better informed, and i general D'Souza is a bit of a nob.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2011 7:34:59 PM
It's harassment because the questions were not about the subject that Shermer had talked about. The guy was clearly responding to a web call to harass Shermer by interrupting him with irrelevancies. The purpose of the harassment was to punish him for not subscribing to the Truther Faith and the mechanism for punishing him was to waste his valuable time on stupid irrelevancies.

Of course, the harassment could have been worse. There was no screaming or physical disruption. Shermer did go ahead and answer the question, although the nitwit didn't listen to the answer. Shermer was correct that Truthers depend upon finding small details that are unexplained and then supposing that the lack of explanation validates their whole wild theory. it was a very good answer.