Jump to topic:

Dangers of Overpopulation

bigpoppajustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 9:04:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm taking a debate class at school, and I brought this up as a potential issue to discuss. However, I find it extremely difficult to find affirmative arguments that support limiting childbirth in the United States. There are so many questions that I keep asking myself, but I'm terribly confused as to how I should answer them. I'll list a few questions I've asked myself:

In regards to the issues with Abortion, does the fetus itself have a right to live? Does the US Legislation have the power to control births?

How will we (the human population as a whole) know when births must become controlled?

There are other thoughts, but as of now, I can't piece them into questions. Comments?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 9:30:57 AM
At 5/10/2011 9:04:55 AM, bigpoppajustice wrote:
I'm taking a debate class at school, and I brought this up as a potential issue to discuss. However, I find it extremely difficult to find affirmative arguments that support limiting childbirth in the United States. There are so many questions that I keep asking myself, but I'm terribly confused as to how I should answer them. I'll list a few questions I've asked myself:

In regards to the issues with Abortion, does the fetus itself have a right to live? Does the US Legislation have the power to control births?
No and no. It would take a landslide of violtaionts of rights for the Government to control births, as well as a landslide of court decisions to allow fetus the right to live.
How will we (the human population as a whole) know when births must become controlled?
When people in 1st world countries start to starve and our occupancy rate decreases to 1 cubic meter per person.
There are other thoughts, but as of now, I can't piece them into questions. Comments?

China has already tried taking the first step by creating the One Child only policy. However, in practice, this has caused many families who gave birth to a girl, but wanted a boy, to send their daughter to orphanages, etc. hopefully by the time the world gets too ovrcrowded, we have created a thousand space stations and Soylent Green.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 11:22:14 AM

In regards to the issues with Abortion, does the fetus itself have a right to live?

Most states view that the Fetus has a right to live. I believe you want to ask about Embryos

Does the US Legislation have the power to control births?

Not as it currently stands. The entire constitution would have to be tossed out and re-done to do that. Or we could simply be purchased by China, they have the power to limit births.

Food supply. When we can no longer produce enough food to sustain us, nature will then limit the population, and then government will follow for the sake of being "humain."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bigpoppajustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 2:08:26 PM
Yeah, this is what I thought. There's too much assumption in this, especially when it comes to future constitutional amendments and laws, so I think I'll do something more appropriate. Thanks.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 2:43:06 PM
At 5/10/2011 11:22:14 AM, OreEle wrote:
Most states view that the Fetus has a right to live. I believe you want to ask about Embryos
Wrong. It depends on what stage of developement the fetus is in, but all states do not have laws against abortion of, for example, 9 week old fetus in the first trimester.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 3:15:47 PM
At 5/10/2011 2:43:06 PM, tkubok wrote:
Wrong. It depends on what stage of developement the fetus is in, but all states do not have laws against abortion of, for example, 9 week old fetus in the first trimester.

I didn't say "all" I said "most." And it is only 11 states which don't have gestation limits on abortions.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 3:20:06 PM
Right now, overpopulation contributes more to death by disease than death by starvation. I think that as the starvation percentage deaths go up, birth rates should decline.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 3:24:45 PM

yes and yes

the just get it to the supreme court justice scalia he's got yo bak

they won't have to be controlled once earth reaches carrying capacity it'll plummet ( the population)

crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 3:47:56 PM
At 5/10/2011 3:15:47 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 5/10/2011 2:43:06 PM, tkubok wrote:

I didn't say "all" I said "most." And it is only 11 states which don't have gestation limits on abortions.

I know you didnt say "All", I said "All". Whether you have a gestation limit on abortions, doesnt change the fact that there are NO states that prevent someone from aborting a 9 week old fetus. NO state.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 1:54:53 AM
In the 1970s, books like The Population Bomb by Paul Erlich were raising a scare. http://en.wikipedia.org... Erlich still has followers that believe that massive famine is just around the corner, even though the projection were that we would all be starving in caves by the year 2000. what happened was that technology increased food production ahead of population. There is less famine now than ever before, and what there is is mainly a product of politics, as in Africa.

The UN predicts that the world population will stabilize in about 50 years. Technology is likely to keep up.

The lowest birth rates in the US were in the Depression. Most of the developed countries are losing population. The US only grows because of immigration. Birth control combined with economics are the factors. In less developed societies, children are the social security for the elders. In advanced societies, they are an economic cost.