Case of Jane Doe

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2011 4:43:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.csicop.org...

I'm not sure if this belongs to the science forum, but it does show the intricate workings of memories, and especially 'false memory syndrome'. The case is that of Jane Doe, daughter of Mother, who lives in an area filled with soda fountains, and Father (as they are named in the article), who alleged that she was sexually abused by her mother.

What are your thoughts on this case? Was Jane actually abused by her mother? Did Corwin, who interviewed the girl and several social workers who corroborated her story, unbiased in his presentation of the case? If so, then does this affect the general issue at hand? What does this imply about the workings of our memories?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2011 12:06:12 AM
At 8/14/2011 4:43:53 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
http://www.csicop.org...

I'm not sure if this belongs to the science forum, but it does show the intricate workings of memories, and especially 'false memory syndrome'. The case is that of Jane Doe, daughter of Mother, who lives in an area filled with soda fountains, and Father (as they are named in the article), who alleged that she was sexually abused by her mother.

What are your thoughts on this case? Was Jane actually abused by her mother? Was Corwin, who interviewed the girl and several social workers who corroborated her story, unbiased in his presentation of the case? If so, then does this affect the general issue at hand? What does this imply about the workings of our memories?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 5:19:35 PM
What are your thoughts on this case? Was Jane actually abused by her mother? Did Corwin, who interviewed the girl and several social workers who corroborated her story, unbiased in his presentation of the case? If so, then does this affect the general issue at hand? What does this imply about the workings of our memories?:

It's difficult to say without knowing more details. I do know that false or implanted memories exist, and those instances are well-documented.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 5:24:29 PM
At 8/16/2011 5:19:35 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What are your thoughts on this case? Was Jane actually abused by her mother? Did Corwin, who interviewed the girl and several social workers who corroborated her story, unbiased in his presentation of the case? If so, then does this affect the general issue at hand? What does this imply about the workings of our memories?:

It's difficult to say without knowing more details. I do know that false or implanted memories exist, and those instances are well-documented.

Yeah, they've done studies where they took people that went to Disney land, and photoshopped them them next to Bugs Bunny getting their picture taken (like people would do with Goofy or so), and the people will "remember" getting their picture taken with Bugs, even though he isn't Disney and so isn't really at disney land.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"