Wind energy

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 3:20:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/16/2011 2:48:21 PM, wierdman wrote:
if we could exploit the power of the wind, will it be enough to dominate the worlds energy source?

Physically, yes.

Economically or practically, no.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 3:26:31 PM
Yes, there's enough energy in the Earth's wind currents to power everything we do, but there's also a limit as to how many windmills we can stand to build.

If we totally took everything offline and went to wind, the amount of windmills necessary would be far greater than feasible, although we could definitely do it. Windmill farms with thousands of square miles of collective capacity would need to be built, however.

What we should be doing is:
- building wind farms of manageable size
- supplementing with solar
- supplementing with geo
- most importantly: reducing consumption!

There may be a couple other much smaller supplements that we would consider, but the main idea is that we create a diverse portfolio and STOP WASTING ENERGY.
Rob
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 4:44:49 PM
At 8/16/2011 3:26:31 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Yes, there's enough energy in the Earth's wind currents to power everything we do, but there's also a limit as to how many windmills we can stand to build.

If we totally took everything offline and went to wind, the amount of windmills necessary would be far greater than feasible, although we could definitely do it. Windmill farms with thousands of square miles of collective capacity would need to be built, however.

- supplementing with geo

There may be a couple other much smaller supplements that we would consider, but the main idea is that we create a diverse portfolio and STOP WASTING ENERGY.

Screw that, I will just use regular nukes alongside TERRA reactors with orbital solar.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 7:18:22 PM
At 8/16/2011 3:26:31 PM, Lasagna wrote:

- supplementing with geo

I agree with this 100%. I couldn't have said it any better myself.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 7:25:46 PM
At 8/16/2011 2:48:21 PM, wierdman wrote:
if we could exploit the power of the wind, will it be enough to dominate the worlds energy source?

Short answer: no.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:53:22 AM
Wind farms only spin in certain areas of certain days. The sun shines, the lava moves, the rivers flow, the tides turn, and the grass grows all the time.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 2:15:47 AM
At 8/17/2011 1:53:22 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
Wind farms only spin in certain areas of certain days. The sun shines, the lava moves, the rivers flow, the tides turn, and the grass grows all the time.

???

Anyway, Wind should definitely be invested in a lot more. For one, the technology already exists. Its 100% clean, there's enough wind to power the world, and cost improvements are being made. The biggest problem is dealing with power fluctuations, since the wind blows in gusts rather than a constant stream. That'll probably prevent it from ever becoming our main power source, but it should still be used more often as a complementary one.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 2:29:29 AM
At 8/17/2011 2:15:47 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:53:22 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

???

My bad. Its shining on one part of the earth at a time. But excess energy gathered during the day can be stored for night use.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 10:50:16 AM
We could probably do a lot with micro-wind generators as well. They aren't that effective unless they are pretty high up and/or given a hundred yards or so of clearance laterally, but that still leaves quite a few places to put them... the problem is that the cheapest of them are a few hundred bucks. Imagine if every home had built-in solar and wind generators, with geothermal heating... could we get rid of power plants altogether?
Rob
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 1:42:27 PM
At 8/17/2011 10:50:16 AM, Lasagna wrote:
We could probably do a lot with micro-wind generators as well. They aren't that effective unless they are pretty high up and/or given a hundred yards or so of clearance laterally, but that still leaves quite a few places to put them... the problem is that the cheapest of them are a few hundred bucks. Imagine if every home had built-in solar and wind generators, with geothermal heating... could we get rid of power plants altogether?

Yes, though I'm not sure you could do home scale geothermal very safely (especailly in summer when you are trying to stay cool).

The question becomes how economical is it to do that.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 9:16:17 PM
At 8/17/2011 1:42:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Yes, though I'm not sure you could do home scale geothermal very safely (especailly in summer when you are trying to stay cool).

Prices are always changing, but it's not ridiculous.

http://www.geosunnrg.com...

I'm not sure about the inflation rates fields...
Rob
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2011 10:50:31 AM
At 8/17/2011 9:16:17 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 8/17/2011 1:42:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Prices are always changing, but it's not ridiculous.

I'm not sure about the inflation rates fields...

I'd have to believe that these estimates are off.

Looking at the electric vs Geo graph, it is showing that the electric heating system is going to be costing like $350 a month for heating and cooling alone (not counting all the other things that need powering), however, the average american family energy bill is actually only $120 a month. So their math doesn't add up.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 11:29:47 PM
Wind power has the problem of being unpredictable, so backup energy generation has to be available for periods of many days. Also, the best place for windmills in the US is the Aleutian Islands, and the next best In North Dakota -- too far from population centers. To solve those problems, some form of extremely cheap energy storage is required, plus superconducting power transmission lines at modest cost.

An elaborate and expensive smart grid is needed to switch the variable wind power in with backup systems.

I live near what was once the world's largest wind farm. Environmentalists sued and succeeded in shutting it down for each winter season, due to bird strikes. I don't see how that can ever be overcome.