Jump to topic:

We've cured the common cold!

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:39:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
....and aids - and apparently every viral infection known to man! Wow! http://tv.ibtimes.com...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:48:35 AM
Yes! Finally! A cure for green dick!
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:52:17 AM
At 8/22/2011 12:39:25 AM, Freeman wrote:
....and aids - and apparently every viral infection known to man! Wow! http://tv.ibtimes.com...

That was very hard to pay attention to, the girl was pretty.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:44:50 AM

It will be a nice counter to MRSA and other super-viruses that co-evolved with penicillin.

I hope it works, but I'll wait till there are solid studies.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:07:49 AM
At 8/22/2011 1:44:50 AM, Wnope wrote:

It will be a nice counter to MRSA and other super-viruses that co-evolved with penicillin.
MRSA is bacteria.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:48:22 AM
It will probably take 10+ years for human testing to even begin. It takes unnecessarily long to get stuff approved in medicine.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 3:51:20 AM
At 8/22/2011 2:48:22 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
It will probably take 10+ years for human testing to even begin. It takes unnecessarily long to get stuff approved in medicine.

thank goodness for the FDA, saving lives.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 9:44:05 AM
Here is why testing is needed.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com...

"This concept is not exactly novel however. There are already drugs on the market that do much the same thing as DRACO, though they largely are only effective against a single virus, or at best, a handful of similar viruses."

This basic idea has been tried before and the drugs that came from it have not been too effective. You also have a risk when injecting anything into your body that programs your cells to kill themselves.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 7:27:14 PM

Really? The common cold is caused by a variety of pathogens (that lead to the same specific symptoms) and AIDS mutates quickly as well, preventing forms of vaccinations and medication.

Perhaps, we should just call Panacea or just pray to Apollo. I'm sure he'll help rid us of all viral infections, even after we abandoned their ceremonies and ceased our belief in them...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 7:31:09 PM
Why isn't this the breaking headline news of every news station right now? I would imagine the scientist(s) involved in the discovery/invention of this drug would be in line for the nobel prize. Either it needs more tests, or there is a catch that we don't yet know about.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:17:24 AM
Geesh, this beats all the discoveries and findings in medical science: the discovery of the human papillarion virus, findings about the nature of certain epidemic diseases, the olfactory system, the structures of a common cell, enzymes, and so on!

We must give them a Nobel Prize! We must, until further study is required to test the effects of this new drug and disprove any correlation fallacy that may exist in the relationship between the drug and its curative properties! (last few words from our sponser)

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:23:07 AM
yay bad science reporting. now when it doesn't turn out to be a miracle drug people can create a conspiracy theory surrounding it.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:24:43 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:17:24 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Geesh, this beats all the discoveries and findings in medical science: the discovery of the human papillarion virus, findings about the nature of certain epidemic diseases, the olfactory system, the structures of a common cell, enzymes, and so on!

We must give them a Nobel Prize! We must, until further study is required to test the effects of this new drug and disprove any correlation fallacy that may exist in the relationship between the drug and its curative properties! (last few words from our sponser)

Oh brilliant point! I would imagine discovering a cure for all viruses that has eluded mankind for centuries is comparable to the discovery of the human papillomavirus (which you spelled wrong). Somehow, by your logic, discovering a deadly disease among people is equally momentous and groundbreaking as discovering its cure. I suppose whoever finds the cure for all cancers wouldn't deserve the prize either. Your logic is very amusing.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:28:47 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:24:43 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:17:24 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Oh brilliant point! I would imagine discovering a cure for all viruses that has eluded mankind for centuries is comparable to the discovery of the human papillomavirus (which you spelled wrong). Somehow, by your logic, discovering a deadly disease among people is equally momentous and groundbreaking as discovering its cure. I suppose whoever finds the cure for all cancers wouldn't deserve the prize either. Your logic is very amusing.

Captain serious does it again, I presume.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:29:33 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:23:07 AM, belle wrote:
yay bad science reporting. now when it doesn't turn out to be a miracle drug people can create a conspiracy theory surrounding it.

And let pseudoscience come out, with all sorts of weird theories about the cause of germs and diseases.

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:32:20 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:29:33 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

And let pseudoscience come out, with all sorts of weird theories about the cause of germs and diseases.

i would at least think that the germ theory of disease is well established... >.>
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:32:52 AM

What is this I don't even... belle was expressing the same skepticism that I showed previously. Pseudoscience =/= conspiracy theory
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:33:15 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:32:20 AM, belle wrote:

i would at least think that the germ theory of disease is well established... >.>

Not to those little cults that think the germ leads to the disease, or that energy, colors, colon cleansing, or crystals will help restore the health of the body.

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:35:17 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:33:15 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

Not to those little cults that think the germ leads to the disease

is it a cult think to believe that germs cause disease? i thought it was science :P

or that energy, colors, colon cleansing, or crystals will help restore the health of the body.

they still believe that germs cause disease.... they just also believe that crystals have magic powers that kill germs.

the real crazies are the ones that think cancer is caused by a vitamin deficiency lol
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:35:40 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:32:52 AM, 000ike wrote:

What is this I don't even... belle was expressing the same skepticism that I showed previously. Pseudoscience =/= conspiracy theory

Never was implying that they were equal, but complementary.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:36:22 AM

Not to those little cults that think the germ leads to the disease, or that energy, colors, colon cleansing, or crystals will help restore the health of the body.

Soooo, somehow, bacteria and viruses cannot lead to disease.......right. I think I made my point.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:38:45 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:35:17 AM, belle wrote:

is it a cult think to believe that germs cause disease? i thought it was science :P
Not in my eyes...they become a group of followers or adherent, which loosely fit the name 'cult'. Hehehehehe....

or that energy, colors, colon cleansing, or crystals will help restore the health of the body.

they still believe that germs cause disease.... they just also believe that crystals have magic powers that kill germs.
Hmmm...I read, in the 'Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science', that there were some people who believed the opposite. But then again, that was one of the many pseudoscience school of thoughts that was discussed in the opening round.

the real crazies are the ones that think cancer is caused by a vitamin deficiency lol
I agree...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:40:30 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:35:17 AM, belle wrote:

Oh I actually meant diseases lead to germs...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:42:27 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:36:22 AM, 000ike wrote:
Since 00ike doesn't bother to understand the intricacies of humor, or respond to it in an adequate way, we must excuse him from our delightful mini-conversation.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:44:46 AM
What happened, 00ike? Are you going to point out the intentional fallacies that I have made in my comments?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:46:11 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:42:27 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Since 00ike doesn't bother to understand the intricacies of humor, or respond to it in an adequate way, we must excuse him from our delightful mini-conversation.

humor isn't intricate, and there is no such thing as an adequate way to respond to it. Humor is humor, fun, laughs, not banter about science. "Delightful"? "Mini-converstaion"? You talk like you're having tea with the Queen of England. In fact, that whole statement made no sense whatsoever.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:47:09 AM
At 8/23/2011 12:46:11 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/23/2011 12:42:27 AM, Man-is-good wrote:

humor isn't intricate, and there is no such thing as an adequate way to respond to it. Humor is humor, fun, laughs, not banter about science. (?) "Delightful"? "Mini-converstaion"? You talk like you're having tea with the Queen of England. In fact, that whole statement made no sense whatsoever.

If it was mean to be humorous, then it is not necessary to have sense.