Jump to topic:

Nuclear Energy

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 10:38:15 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Nuclear energy is arguably the way forward for electricity.

The possibilities of Fusion nuclear energy is immense, as E=M(mass)C(speed of light) 2 (squared) will tell us. However, do you think the funding of fusion energy is justified?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 10:52:33 AM
I think the funding is justified for the simple reason that we need it. Our power generating capabilities in certain parts of the world were hyrdo-electric damns or wind/solar power are not feasible are dwindling slowly and polluting majorly. Nuclear power is one way to solve this problem, but also an expensive one. Too expensive for such little output for a small, poorer country. Fusion generation will be expensive as well, but it will generate so much more energy that it will be worth it.

One problem we should be careful about though, the same with nuclear power, is the safety precautions. How safe would this be? Do the risks outweigh the benefits?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 10:58:27 AM
At 4/24/2009 10:52:33 AM, Volkov wrote:
I think the funding is justified for the simple reason that we need it. Our power generating capabilities in certain parts of the world were hyrdo-electric damns or wind/solar power are not feasible are dwindling slowly and polluting majorly. Nuclear power is one way to solve this problem, but also an expensive one. Too expensive for such little output for a small, poorer country. Fusion generation will be expensive as well, but it will generate so much more energy that it will be worth it.

One problem we should be careful about though, the same with nuclear power, is the safety precautions. How safe would this be? Do the risks outweigh the benefits?

It is suspected another 30 years until we can create a controlled Nuclear Fusion explosion. Of course, let's look at the energy output, you can get billions of joules from 1 gram.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 11:02:11 AM
Exactly. The fact that you can all this energy from such a small input amount is astounding. We could power every single city and village in Africa alone with just a few of these things. It would help reduce the use of coal power in the US and China, help stop the construction of dams in areas where the environment would be in danger. Our spaceships could actually take us to Mars and back without running out fuel. Benefits are enormous.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 2:15:35 PM
At 4/24/2009 11:02:11 AM, Volkov wrote:
Exactly. The fact that you can all this energy from such a small input amount is astounding. We could power every single city and village in Africa alone with just a few of these things. It would help reduce the use of coal power in the US and China, help stop the construction of dams in areas where the environment would be in danger. Our spaceships could actually take us to Mars and back without running out fuel. Benefits are enormous.

Of course, the risks we run are a lot higher. However, it could give cheap electricity, solve our energy problems and everywhere in the world could have electricity.

Of course, Oil Barons and Petrol princes won't be happy at this. Petrol and Oil will become much cheaper, however, Hybrid, Electric and Hydrogen cars will probably be far more common by then, and the extremely cheap electricity will eliminate the need of oil for heating.

When the technology to downsize such a machine is available, cars will probably have to have their tyres changed before they have to refuel. Also, robots will be more commonplace, and warfare will be greatly enhanced.

The downside? The Middle East's economy fails (They are of course consider Muslim enemies) and like the plans for the electric car, oil companies may buy the plans for nuclear fusion. A scary possibly, albeit a possible one. However,m must of them wil just invest in nuclear energy.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 2:39:12 PM
At 4/24/2009 2:15:35 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/24/2009 11:02:11 AM, Volkov wrote:

Of course, the risks we run are a lot higher. However, it could give cheap electricity, solve our energy problems and everywhere in the world could have electricity.

Of course, Oil Barons and Petrol princes won't be happy at this. Petrol and Oil will become much cheaper, however, Hybrid, Electric and Hydrogen cars will probably be far more common by then, and the extremely cheap electricity will eliminate the need of oil for heating.

When the technology to downsize such a machine is available, cars will probably have to have their tyres changed before they have to refuel. Also, robots will be more commonplace, and warfare will be greatly enhanced.

The downside? The Middle East's economy fails (They are of course consider Muslim enemies) and like the plans for the electric car, oil companies may buy the plans for nuclear fusion. A scary possibly, albeit a possible one. However,m must of them wil just invest in nuclear energy.

I feel that if this gets enough support from the public the oil companies will start realizing they need to be energy companies, not just oil. Plus we still need oil/petroleum for a lot of products, and I doubt people will put fusion energy plants in their cars.
Epicism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:01:26 PM
I used nuclear fusion when we had our alternative energy topic this year. It was my favorite!
"We are the kings, of evil disco." - Wayne Wells
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:04:45 PM
At 4/24/2009 3:01:37 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

" making all his nowhere plans.. for nobody. "

So you're against any technological progress of any kind too?

Get off the computer.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:08:00 PM
At 4/24/2009 3:04:45 PM, Volkov wrote:

Get off the computer.

Volkov, God didn't say anything about Nuclear Fusion in the bible! Duh!
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:16:18 PM
At 4/24/2009 3:08:00 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Get off the computer.

ACTUALLY in 'Revelations' it states that the 'elements will fuse' and all the opponents of Biblical truth of the day cried " hey! you CANNOT fuse elements! "
UNTIL they split the atom that is..
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:19:32 PM

I just think it's laughable you guys discussing such lofty plans like you actually have some influence over this stuff..

Get off the computer.
I won't!
The Cross.. the Cross.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:22:15 PM
At 4/24/2009 3:16:18 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Get off the computer.

ACTUALLY in 'Revelations' it states that the 'elements will fuse' and all the opponents of Biblical truth of the day cried " hey! you CANNOT fuse elements! "

Why do you have to connect everything to the bible?

This is a science section. We're not talking about scientific connections to the bible. We're discussing the impact of nuclear fusion energy on the world.

If you're not going to commit to the topic at hand, don't even bother to comment! I can see why people call you a thread killer.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:52:50 PM
Fusion energy as of now requires more energy than we can capture from it.
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:54:52 PM
At 4/24/2009 3:52:50 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

And the problem that it isn't controllable.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:56:14 PM
At 4/24/2009 3:54:52 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Bingo! Which is why in 100-150 years when we run out of oil we go to nuclear.
-Mark Twain

- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 3:58:16 PM
At 4/24/2009 3:56:14 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

I'd prefer if we do that sooner rather than later. We should put more funding into this now, and other alternatives including regular nuclear generation, before we get into that hole.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2009 4:03:32 PM
At 4/24/2009 3:58:16 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/24/2009 3:56:14 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:

I'd prefer if we do that sooner rather than later. We should put more funding into this now, and other alternatives including regular nuclear generation, before we get into that hole.

Yes, I was simply saying the timing of the switch. I completely agree that we should start swapping soon.
-Mark Twain

- William Shakespeare

- Adolf Hitler
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 3:59:51 AM
At 4/24/2009 3:22:15 PM, Volkov wrote:

Get off the computer.

This is a science section. We're not talking about scientific connections to the bible. We're discussing the impact of nuclear fusion energy on the world.

If you're not going to commit to the topic at hand, don't even bother to comment! I can see why people call you a thread killer.

I'd be VERY happy to start discussing terms for the withdraw of all atheism from the religious section. (and mine from here of course)

ROMANS 3:23 For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
ROMANS 6:23 For the WAGES of sin is death, but the GIFT of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
ROMANS 10:9 That IF you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe with your heart that God raised Him up from the dead, you WILL be saved. NKJV
The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2009 4:16:26 AM
At 4/25/2009 3:59:51 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Get off the computer.

I'd be VERY happy to start discussing terms for the withdraw of all atheism from the religious section. (and mine from here of course)

If all atheists and Christians that don't agree with you left the Religion forum, then it would just be you and Godsands praising God. Alone. How sad.

I have no problem with you using your theory of intelligent design, and creationism as long as it isn't paragraph upon paragraph of preaching.

Religion shouldn't be restricted to Christians, and Science shouldn't be limited to Atheists. We could work together if you weren't so damned ignorant.

And I will report your next post with your 3 quotes from the Romans added in. Put it in your signature!
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2009 9:53:38 AM
At 4/25/2009 4:16:26 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Get off the computer.

If all atheists and Christians that don't agree with you left the Religion forum, then it would just be you and Godsands praising God. Alone. How sad.
No, It was you guys that tried to get me off of this topic..

I have no problem with you using your theory of intelligent design, and creationism as long as it isn't paragraph upon paragraph of preaching.
I have NO theory of either.. I have the Bible.

Religion shouldn't be restricted to Christians, and Science shouldn't be limited to Atheists. We could work together if you weren't so damned ignorant.
Name calling/character assasination.. the last refuge of the pseudo intellectual.

And I will report your next post with your 3 quotes from the Romans added in. Put it in your signature!

You didn't say the magic word!

ROMANS 3:23 For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
ROMANS 6:23 For the WAGES of sin is death, but the GIFT of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
ROMANS 10:9 That IF you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe with your heart that God raised Him up from the dead, you WILL be saved. NKJV
The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2009 10:24:17 AM
At 4/27/2009 9:53:38 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Get off the computer.

Avoiding the point.

If you can provide evidence the bible is right, then we will gladly listen to you.

Name calling/character assasination.. the last refuge of the pseudo intellectual.

Avoiding the point completely, again.

Put it in your signature, puh-leez.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2009 1:01:47 PM
At 4/27/2009 10:24:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/27/2009 9:53:38 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Get off the computer.

Avoiding the point.

If you can provide evidence the bible is right, then we will gladly listen to you.

Avoiding the point completely, again.

Put it in your signature, puh-leez.

There you go!
Now.. carry on 'putting the world to rights'..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 9:04:52 AM
To bring this useful topic back from the hands of useless people, I agree with panda that nuclear energy is the way, but not directly.

I say that when we get close enough in theoretics, we should hold off on nuclear fusion until we get rid of fossil fuel dependency completely.

I say we should transition into wind and solar power, which are so much safer although not quite as productive. The most important thing is to wean ourselves off of oil.

Next step will be government control over energy. This is easier as solar and wind power need not be shipped hither and thither. Once we put all energy in government control, we can start funding research for nuclear energy.

My justification for this is simple: We can obtain nuclear energy by way of fusion pretty soon if we devoted enough funding to it. But can we control it? What about international politics and greedy capitalists with the power to sabotage? One destroyed fusion plant can be devastating to the entire world.

Once we eliminate outside control of energy sources and switch to a completely green mode of energy that is controlled by the government, then we can start experimenting on fusion. That's what I propose.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 9:43:51 AM
At 4/28/2009 9:04:52 AM, Kleptin wrote:
To bring this useful topic back from the hands of useless people, I agree with panda that nuclear energy is the way, but not directly.

I say that when we get close enough in theoretics, we should hold off on nuclear fusion until we get rid of fossil fuel dependency completely.

I beg to differ. If we find nuclear energy more viable (and safe from scams like the Yucca Mountain scandal) tomorrow, then we should embrace it to wean off fossil fuel dependency.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 12:25:41 PM
One big problem I find with Nuclear Fusion energy is that the technology would have to be made so that it can't be used to make uncontrolled explosions. Otherwise, it wouldn't solve our energy troubles.
Epicism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 12:45:25 PM
We should be able to make it work as long as we aren't as dumb as the Japanese energy officials who put about 7 nuclear plants right between two tectonic plates that cause almost yearly earthquakes..
"We are the kings, of evil disco." - Wayne Wells
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 1:06:36 PM
At 4/28/2009 12:45:25 PM, Epicism wrote:
We should be able to make it work as long as we aren't as dumb as the Japanese energy officials who put about 7 nuclear plants right between two tectonic plates that cause almost yearly earthquakes..

Haha, that is a very good point. But earthquake or not, nuclear power plants are among the safest buildings even in Japan. They're built to withstand shocks, pretty much how all of Tokyo will be given a few years time.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 1:09:38 PM
Outside the box thinking:

- Put the nuclear stations on the moon, and have robots run them.

OR

- Put them in India, employ lots of people, and simply buy copious amounts of extension leads.