Jump to topic:

Stupid Science

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 1:35:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Chemistry class is a hell hole. Not saying the material is boring, its very interesting. But the fact that my teacher literally leaves the room with teenagers and bunsen burners alone.
For those of you who dont know, a bunsen burner is a tube that shoots out gas which is ignited by a match.

Teenagers+Flames+Flamable Objects+No Teacher=Lawsuit.

Now, the worst part is the complete idiots conducting the experiments. One experiment, we had to separate sugar from sand (Mixing the sugar with water and boiling the water.) The idiots at the adjacent table BURNED THE SUGAR to caramel before even weighing it. I am surrounded by idiots.

Oh, and we lit pencils and pens on fire with the bunsen burners.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 2:12:49 PM
At 9/3/2011 1:35:14 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
Chemistry class is a hell hole. Not saying the material is boring, its very interesting. But the fact that my teacher literally leaves the room with teenagers and bunsen burners alone.
For those of you who dont know, a bunsen burner is a tube that shoots out gas which is ignited by a match.

Now, the worst part is the complete idiots conducting the experiments. One experiment, we had to separate sugar from sand (Mixing the sugar with water and boiling the water.) The idiots at the adjacent table BURNED THE SUGAR to caramel before even weighing it. I am surrounded by idiots.

Bunsen burners are a teachers implicit promise that chemistry class will have at least one redeeming feature: things on fire.
VainApocalypse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 1:54:15 AM

You'd think they had never seen fire before.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 10:23:42 AM
Does your teacher at least teach you things? mine didn't.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:04:04 AM

I know exactly what you mean. We did a short introductory experiment (the year just started) with a solution of copper (II) chloride and water and putting aluminum foil in. Now, when that happens, the metallic copper from the foil escapes, creating an (I'll admit it) cool rusty color all around the foil.

After we do this (mind you, this is a Pre-IB honors class), we were told to create a procedure changing only one variable--and these crazy folk wanted to make that sh!t blow up by adding gasoline: 1) that wouldn't work, and 2)...just.....ugh.

I dunno what it is, but teenagers have this weird fascination with blowing stuff up wit chemicals...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:04:04 AM

AP,Honors,Advanced or Regular Chemistry? The higher up you go, the more idiots are sifted through the grade sieve.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:05:34 AM
@Rocky and 00ike,
Are your chemistry and chem lab classes separate or integrated together?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:07:23 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:04:04 AM, 000ike wrote:

AP,Honors,Advanced or Regular Chemistry? The higher up you go, the more idiots are sifted through the grade sieve.

I'm not so sure...I'm taking all Pre-IB (which is practically the highest honors classes in the US, closely followed by AP), and it's still very similar--give a teen some chemicals, and he will seek out a way to blow some sh!t up.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:17:29 AM
At 9/4/2011 11:04:04 AM, 000ike wrote:

Not true in my experience. Junior year I took AP American History and the class was teaming with morons, basically people who couldn't stop chatting about fvcking video games and sh1t.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 11:40:39 AM
Teenagers are not fully able to relate actions to consequences. That's not an excuse for the instructor, who is supposed to be aware of this.

This is dangerous, so I think you have to complain. That's tough, because if you get the teacher in trouble, he'll hate you forever. I'm thinking that you should complain first to the teacher. He needs to know, and maybe he'll wake up. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking that going to another teacher would be a good choice. It's a "teaching profession" problem.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 12:10:08 PM
At 9/4/2011 11:40:39 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Teenagers are not fully able to relate actions to consequences. That's not an excuse for the instructor, who is supposed to be aware of this.

This is dangerous, so I think you have to complain. That's tough, because if you get the teacher in trouble, he'll hate you forever. I'm thinking that you should complain first to the teacher. He needs to know, and maybe he'll wake up. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking that going to another teacher would be a good choice. It's a "teaching profession" problem.

He's the type that doesnt care. Hell, he even lit a ceiling tile on fire once himself.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 12:10:33 PM
At 9/4/2011 11:05:34 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
@Rocky and 00ike,
Are your chemistry and chem lab classes separate or integrated together?

Integrated.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 12:11:04 PM
At 9/4/2011 10:23:42 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
Does your teacher at least teach you things? mine didn't.

Nope. He just gives us lab instructions.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 4:55:18 PM
At 9/4/2011 11:04:04 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. We did a short introductory experiment (the year just started) with a solution of copper (II) chloride and water and putting aluminum foil in. Now, when that happens, the metallic copper from the foil escapes, creating an (I'll admit it) cool rusty color all around the foil.

After we do this (mind you, this is a Pre-IB honors class), we were told to create a procedure changing only one variable--and these crazy folk wanted to make that sh!t blow up by adding gasoline: 1) that wouldn't work, and 2)...just.....ugh.

I dunno what it is, but teenagers have this weird fascination with blowing stuff up wit chemicals...

Have you ever thrown a pressurized can that says highly flammable into a bonfire?

That was the biggest explosion I've ever seen.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 12:42:36 AM
At 9/4/2011 4:55:18 PM, seraine wrote:

Have you ever thrown a pressurized can that says highly flammable into a bonfire?

That was the biggest explosion I've ever seen.

I threw a little packet of hand wipes into a fire. It exploded.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 12:30:11 PM

Lol, in my AP Chemistry class, we had some kids playing hot potato with dry ice. Kids in general are not very bright, even when they are smart.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 12:32:03 PM
I consider this thread to be titled with a misnomer...Rocky is complaining about the stupidity of his fellow classmates, in handling and performing experiments, but he is not complaining that science is 'stupid'...

'Stupid science' doesn't really fit the actual subject of the thread. Perhaps 'Stupid science students' is better. Does anyone agree?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 2:39:55 PM

I don't need anything fancy. Give me some gunpowder and a strike anywhere and I'll make something go boom. Granted I'll make sure the area's ok so I don't kill anyone or blow anything up that I don't want blown up.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 2:57:22 PM
At 9/4/2011 11:40:39 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Teenagers are not fully able to relate actions to consequences.
Rocky apparently is, don't overgeneralize.

But yes, unsupervised instruction of anyone of any age without experience and with fire is a poor idea.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 5:08:05 PM

It's a rouse; this is actually a Biology lesson, and you being taught about Natural selection.

However, I think this is the same everywhere; even with Teacher in the room. In my science/chemistry lessons some students decided to drink some industrial grade ethanol that was supposed to be used in one experiment. I feel bad about laughing about it at the time, but they also heated up 50p on a bunsen and dropped it on the floor then called over the "poor kid"; he probably still has the queens head scarred on his hand....
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:36:46 PM
At 9/6/2011 5:08:05 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

It's a rouse; this is actually a Biology lesson, and you being taught about Natural selection.

However, I think this is the same everywhere; even with Teacher in the room. In my science/chemistry lessons some students decided to drink some industrial grade ethanol that was supposed to be used in one experiment. I feel bad about laughing about it at the time, but they also heated up 50p on a bunsen and dropped it on the floor then called over the "poor kid"; he probably still has the queens head scarred on his hand....

So this is what the rest of the year in chemistry will be like. Oh Joy.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 10:18:26 AM
At 9/7/2011 11:36:46 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 9/6/2011 5:08:05 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

So this is what the rest of the year in chemistry will be like. Oh Joy.

Yep, until you get into the higher level science classes. Those classes are only full of people that actually want to take them, rather than the people that need to get the science requirements out of the way.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 12:51:08 PM

LMAO
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 12:53:47 PM
I guess if you told the teacher he was teaching complete idiots the teacher might stick around and not let you light anything on fire

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 5:45:34 PM
At 9/9/2011 12:51:08 PM, headphonegut wrote:

LMAO

Owned.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 1:07:21 AM
At 9/9/2011 5:45:34 PM, seraine wrote:
At 9/9/2011 12:51:08 PM, headphonegut wrote:

LMAO

Owned.

Sorry, I still have french in my head. Lit is a French conjugation of the word "to read".