Jump to topic:

Synesthesia

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:45:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Synesthesia is phenomenon wherein people visualize music as color schemes in their mind. Certain moods within the music illicit specific colors in varying assortments and shapes.

I discovered this phenomena by happenstance. One of my guitarists, at the time, and I were listening to a song he wrote which I was going to lay drums over. On one of the songs where the music crescendos, he turns to me and says "What colors do see there?"

Perplexed, I stated, "What do you mean?" He replied, "I see a purplish-red color that swirls." After much prodding, he finally explained to me that he sees colors when he hears music in a matter-of-fact way, as if I bizarre for not fully comprehending what he was referring to. Of course, you have to understand that he's a very eccentric guy, so I thought this was simply unique to him.

But as he described it, my bass player chimed in and said, "Yeah, I have that. Everybody does, don't you?" looking in the general direction and myself and our other guitar player. Apparently they assumed that everyone has this and that it is completely normal.

While certainly not the norm, it turns out that it's also not entirely abnormal either, as many people experience synesthesia. This led me to do some research on it, because I was fascinated by what causes it and why a smaller percentage of te population experiences it.

What I'd like to know is, do any of you have synesthesia, and are aware that not too many other people do?

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:48:49 PM
I don't, I did not think it was that common either. There have been some famous composers with this. Are people with Synesthesia naturally attuned to music?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:48:59 PM
List of famous people that experience synesthesia with numbers, music, or both in their own words.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:50:28 PM
There are wierder versions as well, such as certain tastes causing 'people' to appear.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:53:56 PM
At 9/13/2011 11:48:49 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I don't, I did not think it was that common either. There have been some famous composers with this. Are people with Synesthesia naturally attuned to music?:

It sounds like you've heard of it before, I take it, even if not the official scientific terminology?

Well, I'm very musical and so are most of my closest friends. I am probably the most intimate with people who "get me" musically above anything else. And many of them are very accomplished musicians, yet don't have it. To my knowledge, I only know two people who have it.

As well, if you look on the list of people, some of them astrophysicists who are right-hemisphere dominant (analytical, mathematical), so being left-hemisphere dominant (musical, artistic, linguistic) is not necessarily a prerequisite.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:55:18 PM
At 9/13/2011 11:50:28 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
There are wierder versions as well, such as certain tastes causing 'people' to appear.:

Yeah, bizarre stuff. There has to be some crossing of parts of the brain associated with the senses. Perhaps not a deformity or mutation per se, but something along those lines.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:57:19 PM
At 9/13/2011 11:53:56 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 9/13/2011 11:48:49 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I don't, I did not think it was that common either. There have been some famous composers with this. Are people with Synesthesia naturally attuned to music?:

It sounds like you've heard of it before, I take it, even if not the official scientific terminology?

Yea I've heard of it before, not sure when. I've never known anyone with it though.

Well, I'm very musical and so are most of my closest friends. I am probably the most intimate with people who "get me" musically above anything else. And many of them are very accomplished musicians, yet don't have it. To my knowledge, I only know two people who have it.

As well, if you look on the list of people, some of them astrophysicists who are right-hemisphere dominant (analytical, mathematical), so being left-hemisphere dominant (musical, artistic, linguistic) is not necessarily a prerequisite.

But there is a link between mathematical and musical ability is there not?

It seems to be one of these odd rewiring malfunctions that generally results in an increased ability, I am thinking dyslexia (dont they tend to have high IQ's) and aspergers (who seem to routinely hack the pentagon).
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 12:01:12 AM
But there is a link between mathematical and musical ability is there not?:

Perhaps, as music is mathematical. All music is in time signatures, so to get the rhythm and tempo requires something mathematical I suppose.

It seems to be one of these odd rewiring malfunctions that generally results in an increased ability, I am thinking dyslexia (dont they tend to have high IQ's) and aspergers (who seem to routinely hack the pentagon).:

That's kind of what I'm theorizing, and the article seems to articulate something along those lines. Parts of their brain (perhaps specific nodes) must cross paths somehow where sight and sound, or smell and sight are slightly merged somehow.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 12:06:54 AM
Music has the distinct ability for us to "feel" some kind of emotion (not physically, but psychologically).

But synesthesia gives a whole new meaning to the term "The Blues." Maybe on some level we all have it to a degree, but that it's for one reason or another heightened in their case. When you think of a dark blue, there is a subdued and even depressed feeling associated with it. You know, you walk in to a psych ward and the walls maybe bright yellow -- yellow being a color associated with flighty and upbeat emotion.

Maybe we all have it to one degree or another.

I don't know... but for some reason this subject fascinates me.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 12:14:31 AM
yeah, its pretty badass. i've heard it theorized that its due to a sort of cross wiring in the brain between areas that process the different senses.. in this case sound and vision. i do so wish i had it.... it seems like it would make the world a much more beautiful place :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 12:15:43 AM
I see something entirely different. I see geometric shapes. A game I like to play while improvising is to fit the shapes I see together.

The shapes are not always even, and rhythm has just as much of an effect on it as harmony. There is color to it, but from what people describe of synesthesia, it seems like something a bit different.

Also, I can see it whether my eyes or closed or not.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 12:21:39 AM
Volume effects it too. Actually, this article sounds more like what I have than what I've heard before.

I can't turn it off though, I'm constantly bombarded with the stuff. Doesn't bother me, but it doesn't help when I'm pondering about my own mental stability.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp