Jump to topic:

Micromicro Evolution?

Epicism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 6:37:50 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'll start with examples, you know when light changes your eyes dilate accordingly? Or, when it gets hot or cold homeostasis functions help us maintain normal internal conditions? These are like small almost unnoticed adaptations we go through on a daily basis. My question is whether these changes should be considered as some kind of temporary extreme micro evolution. If not, why?

Just something I had in my mind today.
"We are the kings, of evil disco." - Wayne Wells
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 6:42:20 PM
Its not, I know that for a fact, unfortunately Im having one of those 'stupid days' and I cant think why its not, I just remember it being explained in my A2 biology class, ill post again tommorow If i remember......:(
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 7:00:51 PM
Gottit! OBVIOUS! lol.... anyway. Microevolution involves small specific changes involving allele frequency, wheras the dilation of the pupils and homeostais involve no allele changes.
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 7:17:16 PM
You mean like how I adapt to the view of an excellent-looking woman.

"Oh yeah baby, I'm totally evolving, and it ain't micro."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2009 11:17:38 PM
At 4/28/2009 6:37:50 PM, Epicism wrote:
I'll start with examples, you know when light changes your eyes dilate accordingly? Or, when it gets hot or cold homeostasis functions help us maintain normal internal conditions? These are like small almost unnoticed adaptations we go through on a daily basis. My question is whether these changes should be considered as some kind of temporary extreme micro evolution. If not, why?

No, because evolution is concerned with change in generations of species. Talking about the changes of organism A is nonsensical, you have to talk about the progression of changes in SPECIES A.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2009 6:06:27 AM
At 4/28/2009 11:17:38 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

No, because evolution is concerned with change in generations of species. Talking about the changes of organism A is nonsensical, you have to talk about the progression of changes in SPECIES A.

Riiiiggggghhhhtttttt..... Because there is only one species really..
The Cross.. the Cross.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2009 1:58:49 PM
At 4/29/2009 6:06:27 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Riiiiggggghhhhtttttt..... Because there is only one species really..

He's joking, right?
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Epicism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2009 2:35:28 PM

Yea I knew that, that's why I was wondering if it involved some kind of extreme micromicro evolution, or if there was such a thing on the organism level. I guess we just refer to them as adaptations or is that incorrect as well?

P.S. Many thanks to you Nik for the brightline :D

P.S.S. I commend you for that R_R, sometimes I wonder just how much time you have on your hands :)
"We are the kings, of evil disco." - Wayne Wells
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 7:30:22 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I'll start with examples, you know when light changes your eyes dilate accordingly? Or, when it gets hot or cold homeostasis functions help us maintain normal internal conditions? These are like small almost unnoticed adaptations

Eyes dilating, and heat control are both hugely complex functions, though. That's why EMTs shine a light in people's eyes - you can tell a lot about overall brain function by how the eyes respond. These reactions go unnoticed because they are so elegantly implemented, not because they are small.

But don't feel bad - this mistaking of elegance for simplicity is at the root of Darwin's quaint Victorian era bit of nonsense (which somehow has survived the technical advances of almost every other field of science)
This space for rent.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 6:07:40 AM

To add a little more info to what the other guy said, I believe for it to be evolution there needs to be a change in alleles in a population of a species over several generations.
Meh!
Jry2001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 5:53:33 AM

These do not constitute evolution because evolution is about genetic changes, while these are physical changes that can happen because structures meant to allow them to happen are created according to your genes.