Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Digitized visual thoughtsHOLY ISHT FOR REALZ?

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 6:52:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://gizmodo.com...

Courtesy of Cody_Franklin.

I am speechless. This seems legit and if it is, and they can clean it up even a little bit, it will be IMO one of the greatest breakthroughs of all time.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 11:23:13 AM
Seriously - I need to bump this? I know it's not as interesting as, say "Breakfast" or "Peter Rabbit Mafia" but I though perhaps someone would have thought it worth something...
Rob
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 11:30:30 AM
Well. Sh!t.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 11:34:59 AM
stuff like this just confuses me. It seems legit, but the deal breaker is its attention. Things like this should be breaking news, no?

Just like there was once a thread on DDO about a drug that kills all viruses. It seemed legit, but it received virtually no attention.

Articles are also not a very good source of info imo.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 11:44:33 AM
At 9/24/2011 11:34:59 AM, 000ike wrote:
stuff like this just confuses me. It seems legit, but the deal breaker is its attention. Things like this should be breaking news, no?

Just like there was once a thread on DDO about a drug that kills all viruses. It seemed legit, but it received virtually no attention.

Then what IS a good source of info?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 11:48:43 AM
At 9/24/2011 11:44:33 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

The News. There are more people covering the information, and greater stakes for accuracy. Actually Ninja, I believe the question is, what ISN'T a good source of info?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 11:49:20 AM
At 9/24/2011 11:48:43 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/24/2011 11:44:33 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

The News. There are more people covering the information, and greater stakes for accuracy. Actually Ninja, I believe the question is, what ISN'T a better source of info than articles?

*fixed
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 12:03:34 PM
My gut instinct is not to believe it.

This is the sort of breakthrough that you are not sure will ever occur but you are certain will only come about long after you are dead. If this is real it is utterly amazing!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 1:45:38 PM
At 9/23/2011 6:52:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:

I am speechless. This seems legit and if it is, and they can clean it up even a little bit, it will be IMO one of the greatest breakthroughs of all time.

I'm pretty sure this is legit

http://www.cell.com...(11)00937-7?switch=standard

However, the actual method isn't quite what you think it is, if I understand it correctly.

Pretend you have a map of the brain, and it is divided into coordinates. You show it a rectangle, and a certain set of coordinates light up (in fMRI terms, that means there is more brain activity in that area).

Now, let's say you showed that same brain 1,000 youtube clips for a few milliseconds. The computer looks at what coordinate sets get activated each time.

Every time something rectangular-like appears on screen, coordinates light up similar to the original rectangle. The computer records

After "calibrating" like this, then if you see that set of coordinates light up, you can assume you are dealing with a rectangular-like shape.

The fuzziness and sudden changes comes from the fact that fMRIs can look at small sections, but not individual neurons.

That's also why words and odd images seem to pop up on the right hand side. The computer is "guessing" by compiling images from youtube clips and matching how the brain reacts.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 9:13:03 PM
At 9/24/2011 1:45:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 9/23/2011 6:52:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is legit

http://www.cell.com...(11)00937-7?switch=standard

However, the actual method isn't quite what you think it is, if I understand it correctly.

Pretend you have a map of the brain, and it is divided into coordinates. You show it a rectangle, and a certain set of coordinates light up (in fMRI terms, that means there is more brain activity in that area).

Now, let's say you showed that same brain 1,000 youtube clips for a few milliseconds. The computer looks at what coordinate sets get activated each time.

Every time something rectangular-like appears on screen, coordinates light up similar to the original rectangle. The computer records

After "calibrating" like this, then if you see that set of coordinates light up, you can assume you are dealing with a rectangular-like shape.

The fuzziness and sudden changes comes from the fact that fMRIs can look at small sections, but not individual neurons.

That's also why words and odd images seem to pop up on the right hand side. The computer is "guessing" by compiling images from youtube clips and matching how the brain reacts.

OK I was wondering about the words - there was definitely some arbitrary things being populated that weren't coming from the brain. The way you explained it does take some of the romance out, but I guess we'll have to see how they progress with it.
Rob