Jump to topic:

Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life?

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 7:49:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you believe in intelligent extraterrestrial life?

If so, why?

If not, why not?

This question is in an effort to see who here in the DDO community believes and who does not. I personally do believe in intelligent extraterrestrial life and I find the evidence in support of such theories to be more probable than not. More convincing than not.

What is your perspective?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 8:15:13 PM
At 9/27/2011 7:49:07 PM, Tiel wrote:

If so, why?

If not, why not?

This question is in an effort to see who here in the DDO community believes and who does not. I personally do believe in intelligent extraterrestrial life and I find the evidence in support of such theories to be more probable than not. More convincing than not.

I think it is almost certain there is primitive bacteria out there, and it is likely that there is also intelligent life because of how vast the universe is. It seems like it is likely that there is at least one planet with suitable conditions for abiogenesis and evolution.

This is just my opinion at first glance, as I haven't really done any research into it.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 9:03:25 PM
At 9/27/2011 8:15:13 PM, seraine wrote:

If so, why?

If not, why not?

I think it is almost certain there is primitive bacteria out there, and it is likely that there is also intelligent life because of how vast the universe is. It seems like it is likely that there is at least one planet with suitable conditions for abiogenesis and evolution.

This is just my opinion at first glance, as I haven't really done any research into it.

I agree completely.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 9:03:45 PM

If so, why?

If not, why not?

There is definitely extraterrestrial life. If by intelligent you mean sentient, then it would be much more rare, but odds are they are out there. Even with evolution, there are several gaps which are very hard to bridge. Endosymbiosis, for instance, is needed for multi-cellular organisms.

Now, the chances of extraterrestrials visiting earth, receiving our broadcasts, or sending decodable broadcasts, is MUCH smaller.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 9:14:58 PM
At 9/27/2011 9:03:45 PM, Wnope wrote:

If so, why?

If not, why not?

There is definitely extraterrestrial life. If by intelligent you mean sentient, then it would be much more rare, but odds are they are out there. Even with evolution, there are several gaps which are very hard to bridge. Endosymbiosis, for instance, is needed for multi-cellular organisms.

Now, the chances of extraterrestrials visiting earth, receiving our broadcasts, or sending decodable broadcasts, is MUCH smaller.

I respect your opinion.

I would like to ask... If you think it probable that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe...and you feel that human civilization has only been advanced for maybe 5-10 thousand years...and you obviously see what kind of technology we have developed and are developing.... Do you really not think it probable that such intelligent extraterrestrial life could have been evolving and advancing itself for much much longer? 50,000years? 100,000 years? 1,000,000 years? Longer? How could you possibly rule it out? If you do not rule it out... What kind of technology do you think such a species could have developed in that amount of time? I don't think it is very hard to include the possibility that they could have technology to travel other galaxies or locate other intelligent life.

Why would you think it such a small possibility? I'm not judging, I'm asking out of pure curiosity. I can't bring myself to think it less probable than more probable. In all aspects, I find that my logic rationalizes it as more probable than not. There is much circumstantial evidence in support of this theory. Which only gives more weight to what I already feel is logical to conclude.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:26:52 PM
Life definitely exists out there, we know this for certain.

Intelligent life also seems very likely due to the sheer immensity of the universe. Though, for all we know, that intelligent life is in another galaxy.

Have we been visited by these intelligent aliens? Couldn't say, but I don't find the evidence to support that view to be all that convincing. It's a cool thought though.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:43:24 PM
At 9/27/2011 9:14:58 PM, Tiel wrote:

If so, why?

If not, why not?

I respect your opinion.

I would like to ask... If you think it probable that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe...and you feel that human civilization has only been advanced for maybe 5-10 thousand years...and you obviously see what kind of technology we have developed and are developing.... Do you really not think it probable that such intelligent extraterrestrial life could have been evolving and advancing itself for much much longer? 50,000years? 100,000 years? 1,000,000 years? Longer? How could you possibly rule it out? If you do not rule it out... What kind of technology do you think such a species could have developed in that amount of time? I don't think it is very hard to include the possibility that they could have technology to travel other galaxies or locate other intelligent life.

Why would you think it such a small possibility? I'm not judging, I'm asking out of pure curiosity. I can't bring myself to think it less probable than more probable. In all aspects, I find that my logic rationalizes it as more probable than not. There is much circumstantial evidence in support of this theory. Which only gives more weight to what I already feel is logical to conclude.

I don't rule out the existence of intelligent lifeforms either much more or less advanced.

My problems are more basic. Any calculation of interaction with alien life forms entails some assumptions which shouldn't taken as a given.

For instance, one might argue that the existence of SETI projecting code into space increases the probability of alien contact since it gives them a homing device.

However, some assumptions are:

A. These extra terrestrials perceive and monitor the same radio wavelengths we do.
B. These extra terrestrials are attempting to measure or look for such transmission.

That's just one example.

The probability is much lower than people think because we automatically associate "sentient life" with several criteria which are not given. For instance, when we think "alien" we think of something which perceives wavelengths and sound vibrations (seeing and hearing). It could be, however, that the intelligent life gathers all necessary information through some other means our sentient species simply has no encountered. It's not just they would have a sixth sense, they could very well be missing one through five.

Hell, for all we know, maybe they just communicate through quantum tunneling like your paper said.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 9:38:09 AM

If so, why?

If not, why not?

Of course. I have seen ETS in my lifetime. They are very intelligent beings.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2011 10:20:32 AM
You must also realize Tiel, there are intelligent lifeform in other dimensions and galaxies. Some of them have visited our world on many different occasions.
I dont think this is anything to be surprised of.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 2:05:18 AM
At 10/3/2011 10:20:32 AM, inferno wrote:
You must also realize Tiel, there are intelligent lifeform in other dimensions and galaxies. Some of them have visited our world on many different occasions.
I dont think this is anything to be surprised of.

Inferno knows this cause he is one of them. He is the point man in an alien invasion. I suggest some one track him down and use torture I mean enhanced interrogation to extract this vital information.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
guliab.abra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 9:54:07 AM
: At 9/27/2011 9:14:58 PM, Tiel wrote:

If so, why?

If not, why not?

I respect your opinion.

Well don't even think that there is a possibility they came earlier than us... I do believe that there is intelligent life out there... The vastness of the universe tells us so... it is infinite and what we could find out htere is also infinite....
visini
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 10:40:23 PM
There is no doubt that there is Life elsewhere in the universe, heck even in our Solar System. Like the on one of Jupiter's moons, Europa, which has is very likely to have liquid water under the ice covered surface.

Taking that out of the debate, the Universe is just to big to just have us here. There is no way that Earth is the only planet with any sign of life on it. I mean Mars very wall might still have life in the form of Bactria.