Jump to topic:

Coincidence? I think not.

Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 8:57:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why is it that most ancient civilizations came up with the same results? Why does almost every ancient civilization recognize a certain significance in certain astronomical observations, such as pacific stars? Why did similar social structures and faiths develop, opposed to Plato's theory of this not being true reality, but a shadow cast by actual reality (Plato was different), why?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 8:59:23 PM
Are you gonna answer your own question, again?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 9:06:56 PM
At 10/4/2011 8:59:23 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Are you gonna answer your own question, again?

Yes? Or maybe I already did. Wait, I did it again! Why does this keep happening? Is it because most of what I say seems to only make any sense to me?
TombLikeBomb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 12:46:38 PM
It's only reasonable to doubt a coincidence is just a coincidence if its probability given the assumed parameters (times the prior probability of said parameters) is less than its probability given some other possible set of parameters (times the prior probability of those parameters). In other words, improbability isn't a sufficient reason for skepticism. Added to which, you haven't explained how what we observe is improbable.
From the time of the progressive era with the rise of public schooling through the post-WWII period, capital invaded the time workers had liberated from waged work and shaped it for purposes of social control. Perhaps the most obvious moment of this colonization was the re-incarceration in schools of the young (who were expelled from the factories by child labor laws) such that what might have been free time was structured to convert their life energies into labor power.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 12:20:44 PM
Humans are genetically predisposed to ponder problems and come up with explanations for things. The "best" answer to the question, "What causes weather?" is at certain point in the evolution of society far more likely to be "weather gods" than "unequal heating of the atmosphere coupled with patterns of water vapor."

Before electricity, people spent a lot of time under the stars. The stars appear to move, there are planets that move among them, and they change with the time of year. Myths with common themes emerge from the common experience and the innate desire to attribute causes.