Jump to topic:

Cryonics

RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 8:50:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
You've been successfully frozen for twenty-five years. What kind of damage might your body undergo during those twenty-five years? What would life be like (physically) after that?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 8:51:34 AM
At 11/14/2011 8:50:02 AM, RFH wrote:
You've been successfully frozen for twenty-five years. What kind of damage might your body undergo during those twenty-five years? What would life be like (physically) after that?

Well the first problem is that you are still dead.

But anyway, once thawed the brain turns to mush.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 9:03:53 AM
At 11/14/2011 8:51:34 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Oh, sorry, I should have mentioned two more things.

1. You were frozen alive.
2. In twenty-five years, when you are unfrozen, cryonics have progressed to the point where frozen bodies can be brought back to life.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 9:11:38 AM
At 11/14/2011 9:03:53 AM, RFH wrote:
At 11/14/2011 8:51:34 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Oh, sorry, I should have mentioned two more things.

There is no way to do that right now, infact there may never be a way to do that.

2. In twenty-five years, when you are unfrozen, cryonics have progressed to the point where frozen bodies can be brought back to life.

We don't know if the bodies that are currently frozen can ever be thawed without destroying the brain. It may be that a new freezing method needs to be developed and the people that are frozen now are beyond any possible means of revivification.

Also minor point is it cyronics or cyrogenics?

Now your question is based on the physical ramifications, if it is possible to revive you at all any other damage is probably curable. Brain damage must surely be the main concern however. Assuming that this is not an issue everything else should be fixable.

I think the biggest issues would be psychological, social, legal etc.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 10:35:58 AM
At 11/14/2011 9:11:38 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

There is no way to do that right now, infact there may never be a way to do that.

You can be frozen alive, but it's illegal in the United States. The question is whether or not you would still be alive while frozen. Let's assume that the concept of information-theoretic conception of death is correct and that, while legally dead, you are still alive while frozen.

We don't know if the bodies that are currently frozen can ever be thawed without destroying the brain. It may be that a new freezing method needs to be developed and the people that are frozen now are beyond any possible means of revivification.

Let's assume that you can be thawed out without completely destroying the brain. Your brain will be at least in tact enough for you to live some sort of life.

Cryonics.

Now your question is based on the physical ramifications, if it is possible to revive you at all any other damage is probably curable. Brain damage must surely be the main concern however. Assuming that this is not an issue everything else should be fixable.

This is what I was really interested in. What do you think the physical ramifications would be? What would need to be fixed?

Could you elaborate?

Thanks for the good answers.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 10:57:01 AM
At 11/14/2011 10:35:58 AM, RFH wrote:

You can be frozen alive, but it's illegal in the United States. The question is whether or not you would still be alive while frozen. Let's assume that the concept of information-theoretic conception of death is correct and that, while legally dead, you are still alive while frozen.

You would be biologically dead and with no good reason to believe you can be revived the state would regard you as clinically dead. Your best bet is suspended animation, some sort of coma that somehow slows aging? Even then special provision would need to be made for your assets.

Let's assume that you can be thawed out without completely destroying the brain. Your brain will be at least in tact enough for you to live some sort of life.

Cryonics.

This is what I was really interested in. What do you think the physical ramifications would be? What would need to be fixed?

If you can thaw out the brain with little to limited damage (otherwise it would be done) then all other issues become moot. A way would be found to stop all the other damaging aspects of freezing, ice crystals forming in the muscle tissues and damaging them etc etc.

Could you elaborate?

A lot can change in 25 years, your children may be dead. Old friends may be dead. Governments have changed, new technology is in use. If someone woke up today who had been frozen in 1986 then there is a lot that has changed.

Attitudes to sex, attitudes to sexism, attitudes to racism, the end of the cold war, the fall of the berlin wall, change of Governments, there was no internet in 1986, no mobile phones, no CD's (well they were around just not in use), no IPOD's etc. All the changes in music and fashion...

I believe one of the causes of mental aging is psychological, there are so many changes that eventually people can't fully engage with the modern world.

Heck I remember the days before the internet, I remember when the internet made a funny noise and was all one colour... this fresh glossy internet you see is a barely legal teenager ripe for the... sorry what were we talking about.

These changes are accelerating, in another 25 years we might have our bank cards replaced by chips in our hands and retina scans. There might be artificial wombs. There might be widespread genetic modifications of the new generation. There might be a hotel on the moon. Teenagers might have cybernetic implants allowing them to view and update facebook via their mind's eye.

What about finding a job... lets say the guy was a Doctor, his medical degree is now useless, can he retrain?

Not to mention the legalities, was his wealth held in trust? Was he scammed after death?
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 11:08:00 AM
At 11/14/2011 10:57:01 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 11/14/2011 10:35:58 AM, RFH wrote:

You would be biologically dead and with no good reason to believe you can be revived the state would regard you as clinically dead. Your best bet is suspended animation, some sort of coma that somehow slows aging? Even then special provision would need to be made for your assets.

Cryonics.

If you can thaw out the brain with little to limited damage (otherwise it would be done) then all other issues become moot. A way would be found to stop all the other damaging aspects of freezing, ice crystals forming in the muscle tissues and damaging them etc etc.

Could you elaborate?

A lot can change in 25 years, your children may be dead. Old friends may be dead. Governments have changed, new technology is in use. If someone woke up today who had been frozen in 1986 then there is a lot that has changed.

Attitudes to sex, attitudes to sexism, attitudes to racism, the end of the cold war, the fall of the berlin wall, change of Governments, there was no internet in 1986, no mobile phones, no CD's (well they were around just not in use), no IPOD's etc. All the changes in music and fashion...

I believe one of the causes of mental aging is psychological, there are so many changes that eventually people can't fully engage with the modern world.

Heck I remember the days before the internet, I remember when the internet made a funny noise and was all one colour... this fresh glossy internet you see is a barely legal teenager ripe for the... sorry what were we talking about.

These changes are accelerating, in another 25 years we might have our bank cards replaced by chips in our hands and retina scans. There might be artificial wombs. There might be widespread genetic modifications of the new generation. There might be a hotel on the moon. Teenagers might have cybernetic implants allowing them to view and update facebook via their mind's eye.

What about finding a job... lets say the guy was a Doctor, his medical degree is now useless, can he retrain?

Not to mention the legalities, was his wealth held in trust? Was he scammed after death?

Very interesting. Thanks again!