Jump to topic:

Future of energy?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:55:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Don't get sound, please explain. Though if it is claiming "free energy" as it says in the URI, then there is an issue.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 11:35:02 AM
Interesting that he focuses at the end on how water still is not free and available for all people on the planet, yet we need to work on 'free' energy now?
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 7:37:49 PM
OK so you take carbon and make this film with it, and pass a charge through it to change it from transparent to opaque. This allows us to change our windows with the slightest pulse of electricity and give us vastly more control over the thermal state of our homes. They have another sheet that takes infra-red light on one side and turns it into visible light, which I gather would mean that you could look out your window at night and see it clear as day. They control it further by "parking" a photon (as an electron I believe) on the membrane until you need it, which allows you to transfer energy from your self to anything coated in this stuff. So you can save the energy on yourself and touch your home and transfer it onto there, or even beam it to your neighbors house without any electric grid. He says this will make power plants and electric grids obsolete.

For water, he's basically saying that as you are capturing all the light energy around you, you will be able to use that energy to control the water around you. I take it he is talking about desalinization, purification, etc.
Rob
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:31:34 PM
Free energy LOL, Aint nothin free. Free energy will be the most expensive of all.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2011 9:20:52 PM
At 11/23/2011 10:31:34 PM, sadolite wrote:
Free energy LOL, Aint nothin free. Free energy will be the most expensive of all.

Yeah itt definitely is reminiscent of the prromises we heard when nuclear energy first appeared, but it I think the concept is sound. Light is energy that is all around us and it shouldn't be that hard to capture it...
Rob
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 10:54:34 AM
Amgggg, I love these talks by scientists. I've watched a few now, and every single one is interesting. Each one features a different one talking about something different.

I'd still prefer to see it in article for, where I can review the full rationale and math behind it. They're clearly dumbing things down significantly.

On that note, I don't consider that a good thing. It keeps people interesting. Free energy, for example, has been possible for more than 100 years -- one of my utmost favorite thinkers came up with it (sometime around the time he invented alternating current--A/C--for powering buildings):

http://video.google.com...

We're fools. We pay for free sh*t because we refuse to accept that the socioeconomic system we've developed based on a presumption of greed is a complete failure.

The world needs to grow up.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 10:55:39 AM
At 11/27/2011 10:54:34 AM, Ren wrote:
Amgggg, I love these talks by scientists. I've watched a few now, and every single one is interesting. Each one features a different one talking about something different.

I'd still prefer to see it in article for, where I can review the full rationale and math behind it. They're clearly dumbing things down significantly.

On that note, I don't consider that a good thing. It keeps people interesting. Free energy, for example, has been possible for more than 100 years -- one of my utmost favorite thinkers came up with it (sometime around the time he invented alternating current--A/C--for powering buildings):

We're fools. We pay for free sh*t because we refuse to accept that the socioeconomic system we've developed based on a presumption of greed is a complete failure.

That should have said ignorant. I was watching it while writing this. XD
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 11:23:52 AM
At 11/27/2011 10:55:39 AM, Ren wrote:

One very important statement to note in that video. "We "can't" show you the proprietary workings of this motor." So much for free energy. They are no different than an oil company or a coal company. They have something to sell and want to make a profit. They have no virtuous motives. They want to earn a profit just like everyone else. If it is the savior of mans energy problems why would they refuse to show how it works? Show us so we can build them ourselves and "Save the planet"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 11:24:16 AM
Ohhhhh, he was talking about the Buckmister fullerene!

Dude, the mere discovery of that carbon structure has broadened the scientific community so intensely. This energy transmission jazz is incredible -- when it's in tubular and spherical formation, it can cause electrons to delocalize?! That's a huge friggin deal. It also exhibits wave-particle duality, like photons.

O.O

This scientist is right. Unless politics and @sshole merchants get in the way, this is going to revolutionize humanity.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 11:26:30 AM
At 11/27/2011 11:23:52 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 11/27/2011 10:55:39 AM, Ren wrote:

One very important statement to note in that video. "We "can't" show you the proprietary workings of this motor." So much for free energy. They are no different than an oil company or a coal company. They have something to sell and want to make a profit. They have no virtuous motives. They want to earn a profit just like everyone else. If it is the savior of mans energy problems why would they refuse to show how it works? Show us so we can build them ourselves and "Save the planet"

I don't think that was their point, HOWEVER--if you understood how it works, you'd see that it'd be essentially impossible to put a price tag on the energy you use. As the man stated, it would your energy.

That said, if, in fact, they had that philosophy, don't you think they'd keep their design a secret to prevent someone else without that philosophy from doing exactly what you described?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 10:22:31 AM
At 11/24/2011 9:20:52 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 11/23/2011 10:31:34 PM, sadolite wrote:

Yeah itt definitely is reminiscent of the prromises we heard when nuclear energy first appeared, but it I think the concept is sound. Light is energy that is all around us and it shouldn't be that hard to capture it...

Why bothing trying to capture it from "all around us" rather than straight from the source (the sun)? The direct sun light will have more energy than the reflected light around us by the conservation of energy.

Also, for ideas of saving energy, here are two big options (would be distant future to be economical).

1) Have transparent solar cells that can capture UV light and IR light and turn it into electricity, but allow visable light to pass through. This can be used in the windows of any and every building, especially office buildings. This will generate some electricity, and but turning that energy into electricity, there is less energy being turned into heat, so lower cooling costs in summer.

2) Have micro-solar cells that can be applied as a paint to the side of a building (even better if you can get them in multiple colors, rather than just black, though note that this will effect their efficiency). Like with the windows, all the light that they turn into electricity will be less light that is turned into heat.

While this will theoretically allow you to simply transfer energy from one house to another by shining a light on the other house (thus meaning no extensive grid), it is silly to think that such an idea would ever reach 100% efficiency.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"