Jump to topic:

Ram Pump

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 3:40:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am developing a zero cost energy aquaponic system.

The Ram pump is essential but I want a work around the necessity of the force in the initial feed line.

The pump is directly pulling from the fish tank to the aquafeeder. Then a bell siphon is returning the water to tank.

Any of you have any ideas on how to bring the pump closer to the unit? Any thoughts of a work around to negate distance in the feeder line to generate the same amount of force?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 8:45:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2011 3:40:53 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I am developing a zero cost energy aquaponic system.

The Ram pump is essential but I want a work around the necessity of the force in the initial feed line.

The pump is directly pulling from the fish tank to the aquafeeder. Then a bell siphon is returning the water to tank.

Any of you have any ideas on how to bring the pump closer to the unit? Any thoughts of a work around to negate distance in the feeder line to generate the same amount of force?

Well, this is an interesting question.

To my knowledge, you can decrease the length of the drive line by increasing its width. You can also improve efficiency by replacing it with a more rigid material (upgrade from pvc to steel, for example). The minimum inlet pipe length is 150 * the diameter of the pipe you're using. So, I don't know if it's practical, but perhaps using a magnum pipe with a tapered connector would allow you to shorten it significantly.

On the other hand, you can kill two birds with one stone by causing the drive line to travel in a loop. That would condense the space required to accomodate the required length, and it would also increase back pressure, if your aquafeeder isn't elevated in relation to the fish tank.