Jump to topic:

New Planet Found By NASA

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:02:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Did you guys here about this yet ? NASA just found another planet that is said to be habitable by humans here on Earth. Of course this is nothing new technically speaking. This planet has always existed, but it is now being exposed to the general public. See link below.

http://www.news.yahoo.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 10:24:32 AM
At 12/6/2011 9:02:06 AM, inferno wrote:
Did you guys here about this yet ? NASA just found another planet that is said to be habitable by humans here on Earth. Of course this is nothing new technically speaking. This planet has always existed, but it is now being exposed to the general public. See link below.

Please re-read the article.

The planet was confirmed to be in the habitable zone, which is the zone away from a star where liquid water could likely be (temperature-wise). However, one thing to note is that the planet is much larger than Earth (about 14 times as massive, assuming equal density), this means that the gravity is likely to be about 2.4 times as powerful as Earth (so a 150 lb man here would weigh 360 lb on that planet).

Also, since we don't know the chemical makeup of the planet, we cannot say if it is actually habitable (which is why NASA didn't make that claim).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 10:28:49 AM
At 12/6/2011 10:24:32 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/6/2011 9:02:06 AM, inferno wrote:

Please re-read the article.

The planet was confirmed to be in the habitable zone, which is the zone away from a star where liquid water could likely be (temperature-wise). However, one thing to note is that the planet is much larger than Earth (about 14 times as massive, assuming equal density), this means that the gravity is likely to be about 2.4 times as powerful as Earth (so a 150 lb man here would weigh 360 lb on that planet).

Also, since we don't know the chemical makeup of the planet, we cannot say if it is actually habitable (which is why NASA didn't make that claim).

I am sure that we can attain some type of culture on this planet like many others.
Note. NASA did not have to confirm anything, as they are witholding much needful information from the general public. Aliens exist. Period.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 11:16:16 AM
However, one thing to note is that the planet is much larger than Earth (about 14 times as massive, assuming equal density), this means that the gravity is likely to be about 2.4 times as powerful as Earth (so a 150 lb man here would weigh 360 lb on that planet).
That's no problem. Humans would eventually evolve to about half their size, should they settle on such a planet. If plant seed were brought there, plants would also evolve to being able to grow to a smaller size, at maximum.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 11:28:15 AM
At 12/6/2011 11:16:16 AM, Mirza wrote:
However, one thing to note is that the planet is much larger than Earth (about 14 times as massive, assuming equal density), this means that the gravity is likely to be about 2.4 times as powerful as Earth (so a 150 lb man here would weigh 360 lb on that planet).
That's no problem. Humans would eventually evolve to about half their size, should they settle on such a planet. If plant seed were brought there, plants would also evolve to being able to grow to a smaller size, at maximum.

That is what I was trying to tell this person. But you know that some people like to argue for the sake of arguing. How boring is that.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:38:02 PM
Well of course aliens exist. Its absolute arrogance to believe that in an infinite space we are the most advanced life forms. But this planet is 600 billions light years away. It'll be at least another 1000 years till we have the technology to get there.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:40:30 PM
At 12/6/2011 3:38:02 PM, MarquisX wrote:
Well of course aliens exist. Its absolute arrogance to believe that in an infinite space we are the most advanced life forms. But this planet is 600 billions light years away. It'll be at least another 1000 years till we have the technology to get there.

That's some nifty technological progress we've made if we are able to detect planets at 600 billion light years away.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:02:21 PM

No, we would not evolve to be half the size. If anything, we'd evolve ways to have stronger, yet lighter bodies, while size may play a part in that (small is typically stronger in scale), other advances would also happen because there is an evolutionary advantage to being larger.

You also run the problem of evolution is not likely going to play a significant role because there would be too much change instantly. Evolution is something that takes a lot of time and sudden changes kill life, rather than make it evolve.

For example, if we took every deep water fish on earth and brought them to the surface this minute, they would all die (from the pressure difference). However, if they come up 100 feet a generation, then the drop in pressure is slow enough that they can adapt and evolve.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:40:43 PM
At 12/6/2011 4:02:21 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

No, we would not evolve to be half the size. If anything, we'd evolve ways to have stronger, yet lighter bodies, while size may play a part in that (small is typically stronger in scale), other advances would also happen because there is an evolutionary advantage to being larger.

You also run the problem of evolution is not likely going to play a significant role because there would be too much change instantly. Evolution is something that takes a lot of time and sudden changes kill life, rather than make it evolve.

For example, if we took every deep water fish on earth and brought them to the surface this minute, they would all die (from the pressure difference). However, if they come up 100 feet a generation, then the drop in pressure is slow enough that they can adapt and evolve.

Well you could try spinning the spacecraft that travels there [I assume a generation vessel unless one finds out how to construct a viable FTL drive which can take people there in less than a generation] and gradually up the spin every few generations to increase the artificial gravity and therefore help forward the evolution of humans to inhabit the planet.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 5:00:39 PM
At 12/6/2011 4:40:43 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Well you could try spinning the spacecraft that travels there [I assume a generation vessel unless one finds out how to construct a viable FTL drive which can take people there in less than a generation] and gradually up the spin every few generations to increase the artificial gravity and therefore help forward the evolution of humans to inhabit the planet.

Excellent way to think outside the box.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 5:04:01 PM

No, we would not evolve to be half the size.
Higher gravity plays a huge role in determining the size of animal and plant species. Had the gravity on Earth been higher, plants would have been smaller, as well as animals (including humans). Evolution would likely occur on another planet due to stronger gravity. It is impossible to prevent animals/humans from being affected by gravity on another planet, let alone stronger gravity.

If anything, we'd evolve ways to have stronger, yet lighter bodies, while size may play a part in that (small is typically stronger in scale), other advances would also happen because there is an evolutionary advantage to being larger.
That's irrelevant, and yes stronger gravity would make bones more dense, probably increase muscle mass, thus make humans stronger. As for being larger, I highly doubt that would be probable for humans. We have not become very tall on Earth, talk about on a planet with stronger gravity.

That's a non-issue. I said if humans settle - that includes more than just arriving there - then some form of evolution will surely occur. Our skin will change to suit the starlight of the planet, etc. Gravity would be the strongest evolutionary factor for many ages, I think.

Exactly how evolution would occur anywhere else. Especially with high gravity.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 5:53:06 PM
At 12/6/2011 5:00:39 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The problem is that this all hinges upon the timetable for this expedition, which type of ship will be going there, and how many generations it takes for the organisms to adapt [the best possible scenario is that all organisms adapt at the same rate and do it quickly but it's more likely that he organisms will have large differences in their adaptation rates and it will be a very long time before the life will be suited to the planet]. Also I highly doubt that world would be suitable for human habitation, it might just be simpler to just live on orbital space stations, moons, or other such places, heck if we actually do gain the capacity to make such a voyage we would probably end up dropping of colonists along many of the planets, satellites, and asteroids along the way.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 6:01:57 PM
You need to read the article, it says it MIGHT have life on it. MIGHT. Not it does, so you must agree that you needed to reword it. (I have that mistake too sometimes).
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 6:06:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org... This seems like a better destination to me.
Minister Of Trolling
:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 6:45:15 PM
It "might' have life, so that means you "might" believe anything you are told. How are you going to test or prove anything 300,000 light years away. It's a waste of human resources at this point. We can't even leave our solar system and most likely never will. Who firkin cares except the men and their over priced tax payer funded toys.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 6:52:27 PM
When humans figure out how to travel 150,000 times the speed of light, I'll give it some consideration. This way it would be a survivable journey.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:08:40 PM
At 12/6/2011 6:45:15 PM, sadolite wrote:
It "might' have life, so that means you "might" believe anything you are told. How are you going to test or prove anything 300,000 light years away. It's a waste of human resources at this point. We can't even leave our solar system and most likely never will. Who firkin cares except the men and their over priced tax payer funded toys.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Minister Of Trolling
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:09:47 PM
At 12/6/2011 6:52:27 PM, sadolite wrote:
When humans figure out how to travel 150,000 times the speed of light, I'll give it some consideration. This way it would be a survivable journey.

Minister Of Trolling
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 10:55:39 AM
At 12/6/2011 5:53:06 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

The problem is that this all hinges upon the timetable for this expedition, which type of ship will be going there, and how many generations it takes for the organisms to adapt [the best possible scenario is that all organisms adapt at the same rate and do it quickly but it's more likely that he organisms will have large differences in their adaptation rates and it will be a very long time before the life will be suited to the planet]. Also I highly doubt that world would be suitable for human habitation, it might just be simpler to just live on orbital space stations, moons, or other such places, heck if we actually do gain the capacity to make such a voyage we would probably end up dropping of colonists along many of the planets, satellites, and asteroids along the way.

Not all life would survive through the trip. I'd bet that many species would not make it (not adapt fast enough and go "extinct" on board), but so long as a good number make it and are able to survive, then they will populate the planet. It will be no different than any other bottle neck event in the Earth's history (an event where many species die, but the few survivors repopulate and evolve into more species to fill the gaps).

I think a more interesting problem is how to get there while keeping everyone and everything alive.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:04:50 AM
At 12/7/2011 10:55:39 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Not all life would survive through the trip. I'd bet that many species would not make it (not adapt fast enough and go "extinct" on board), but so long as a good number make it and are able to survive, then they will populate the planet. It will be no different than any other bottle neck event in the Earth's history (an event where many species die, but the few survivors repopulate and evolve into more species to fill the gaps).

I think a more interesting problem is how to get there while keeping everyone and everything alive.

O'Neill Cylinders anyone? http://en.wikipedia.org...
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 12:01:35 PM
At 12/7/2011 11:04:50 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I don't care for those too much, because the angling of sun light is going to mean that light comes at a shallow angle (not good for plants) and you'll have no light at all when traveling between stars.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 4:22:19 PM
At 12/7/2011 12:01:35 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I don't care for those too much, because the angling of sun light is going to mean that light comes at a shallow angle (not good for plants) and you'll have no light at all when traveling between stars.

Well the use of external light can be removed entirely, one could simply place a batshit insanely powered lamp through the center that mimics the light of the sun [in order to keep plants alive].
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 4:38:47 PM
At 12/7/2011 4:22:19 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Well the use of external light can be removed entirely, one could simply place a batshit insanely powered lamp through the center that mimics the light of the sun [in order to keep plants alive].

That is what I've thought (through a second cylinder in the center (so if you look "up" you see the other cylinder, rather than the other side of your cylinder). This would give space to move resources around (like water to make rain) and a place to put nuclear reactors (you'll need energy for when traveling interstellar) and nuclear fuel.

This could also be used as a docking station (close to center of rotation has less "gravity") so when the colony was in a new system, it could go to asteroids, or inner planets to mine for more nuclear material (or mine from gas giants if it is using fusion, rather than fission, which is likely).

Nuclear waste could also be used as propellents to help stear, as well as electric currents when in the magnetic field of a star or large planet.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 5:37:57 PM
At 12/7/2011 4:38:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/7/2011 4:22:19 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

That is what I've thought (through a second cylinder in the center (so if you look "up" you see the other cylinder, rather than the other side of your cylinder). This would give space to move resources around (like water to make rain) and a place to put nuclear reactors (you'll need energy for when traveling interstellar) and nuclear fuel.

This could also be used as a docking station (close to center of rotation has less "gravity") so when the colony was in a new system, it could go to asteroids, or inner planets to mine for more nuclear material (or mine from gas giants if it is using fusion, rather than fission, which is likely).

Nuclear waste could also be used as propellents to help stear, as well as electric currents when in the magnetic field of a star or large planet.

I had similar thoughts. All we really need now are the viable population numbers [unless they just plan on inserting/deleting random genes to maintain viable populations].
Minister Of Trolling
:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 7:27:37 PM
At 12/6/2011 7:09:47 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

And your sources prove what?

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 7:32:16 PM
At 12/7/2011 7:27:37 PM, sadolite wrote:

300,000 light years? Speed of light= 300,000 yeas to get there. 150,000 x the speed of light 2 years to get there.

Private orgs getting govt grants most likely.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 8:16:41 PM
At 12/7/2011 7:32:16 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/7/2011 7:27:37 PM, sadolite wrote:

Two things, one you can be put to sleep upon the vessel and be awoken upon arrival [sleeper vessels] the second [and more viable option] is that they shall be generation vessels, you will not see this in your lifetime but rather several generations down the line will colonize the planet.

300,000 light years? Speed of light= 300,000 yeas to get there. 150,000 x the speed of light 2 years to get there.

Private orgs getting govt grants most likely.

No, these are completely private. NASA even plans on renting some of the spacecraft manufactured by these companies, and the only true government assistance they actually get is some old astronautical information from NASA.
Minister Of Trolling
:
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 8:28:15 PM
Oh yeah, I hear that it is always 70 degrees in that planet and it looks just like earth so it has a possibility of sustaining life.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 9:20:42 AM
This planet is said to be 3 times bigger than Earth and can sustain human life under technical advances. That means that it is possible to live there, if we can get there first.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 9:45:08 AM
At 12/8/2011 9:20:42 AM, inferno wrote:
This planet is said to be 3 times bigger than Earth and can sustain human life under technical advances. That means that it is possible to live there, if we can get there first.

It is 2.4 times the radius of Earth (meaning that it's surface area is actually 5.8 times larger).

The differenece in size is like comparing a ping pong ball to a softball. And since the planet will likely be under greater gravitational compression, it will probably be 2.5 times more gravity (or more).