Jump to topic:

Looking for some Astronomy Trivia

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 5:18:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Okay, I'm trying to gather some challenging solar system trivia questions for my mafia game (to be included in at the start of each DP), I already have a few. The only real requirement is that they need to be hard enough that you cannot simply google the answer in 5 seconds, that it actually takes some digging. And, of course, it needs to be about our solar system. That can mean planets, moons, comets, asteroids, the sun, any of it.

Also, please only list the question, not any answers (if I choose to use it, I don't want people to just be able to pop over here to get the answers either).

Thanks to anyone and everyone.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 6:20:13 PM
Great thread.

Which planet, disregarding the Earth, is most likely to sustain life?

Which object in our solar system has the largest mass percentage?
- How much of the total mass does it account for?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 6:21:52 PM
I love both astronomy and trivia but not being google-able makes this tricky. I mean, this is google we're talking about. I'll try to think of something.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 6:47:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I think the biggest thing to make something not very google-able is the wording of the question. Of course, it is not possible to make it entirely un-google-able, but I just want to try to make it so it takes some time (like if you C/P the question into google, the answer is not results 1 - 21,998).

Again, thanks.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 7:06:28 PM
At 12/15/2011 6:55:57 PM, badger wrote:
"on which satellite do the reptilians (mafia) have their base?"

I feel I should inform you that I nominated you for Most Attractive DDO Member. ;D
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 7:26:57 PM
At 12/15/2011 7:06:28 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:

I feel I should inform you that I nominated you for Most Attractive DDO Member. ;D

He has good genes.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:07:11 AM

Trick question, they have their base inside the hollow sun!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 2:11:37 PM
Here's one that I've made that I don't think I'll use in the game, so I don't mind giving it here as an example. If I can't get enough questions, I might use this still, so please don't answer (if you are a trivia person that just loves answering questions and so have an itch to answer, you can PM me your answer rather than making it public).

My two children are the founders of Rome. Don't worry about who I am, but why am I famous?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 2:41:36 PM
At 12/15/2011 6:20:13 PM, Mirza wrote:
Great thread.

mars?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 2:46:53 PM
At 12/20/2011 2:41:36 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 12/15/2011 6:20:13 PM, Mirza wrote:
Great thread.

mars?

I don't think there is a "planet" that is most likely. Moon, sure, not so sure about planet.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 3:36:24 PM
At 12/20/2011 2:11:37 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Here's one that I've made that I don't think I'll use in the game, so I don't mind giving it here as an example. If I can't get enough questions, I might use this still, so please don't answer (if you are a trivia person that just loves answering questions and so have an itch to answer, you can PM me your answer rather than making it public).

My two children are the founders of Rome. Don't worry about who I am, but why am I famous?

An important flaw in this question was brought up. This is from the perspective of the mother, not the father (makes a big difference, and makes it a lot harder).
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 3:39:38 PM
At 12/21/2011 3:36:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

An important flaw in this question was brought up. This is from the perspective of the mother, not the father (makes a big difference, and makes it a lot harder).

lol, I already know the answer; I am a Greek (and Roman, but mostly Greek) mythology buff.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 3:48:06 PM
At 12/21/2011 3:39:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

lol, I already know the answer; I am a Greek (and Roman, but mostly Greek) mythology buff.

Well, store that away for when the game starts. I'm thinking more and more that I want to use this one. Though I believe mythology part is the easist part of the question (at least the easist to look up).
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 4:08:05 PM
At 12/21/2011 3:48:06 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Well, store that away for when the game starts. I'm thinking more and more that I want to use this one. Though I believe mythology part is the easist part of the question (at least the easist to look up).

To be honest, the rest of the question is a bit vague, but since I know which planet you are talking about, I think I know the answer to the real question.

Anyways, how would the trivia function in the game? Do we get bonus powers for answering questions?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 4:39:44 PM
At 12/21/2011 4:08:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

To be honest, the rest of the question is a bit vague, but since I know which planet you are talking about, I think I know the answer to the real question.

Anyways, how would the trivia function in the game? Do we get bonus powers for answering questions?

Not bonus powers, but bonus info (this game will center more along info and info management, than simple powers). It won't be major info, like "so and so is mafia" but more along the lines of "no trojan objects are in this game" (which can be used against claims, or if the mafia get it, to make fake claims).

Also, if you're thinking of a planet, you probably have it wrong.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 7:19:58 PM
At 12/21/2011 4:39:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/21/2011 4:08:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Not bonus powers, but bonus info (this game will center more along info and info management, than simple powers). It won't be major info, like "so and so is mafia" but more along the lines of "no trojan objects are in this game" (which can be used against claims, or if the mafia get it, to make fake claims).

Also, if you're thinking of a planet, you probably have it wrong.

My mistake; I was thinking of the entire bloodline instead of those two specific people.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 12:34:53 AM

Gonna be honest - I knew right off the bat who the children were (I've been to Rome a few times and have seen the famous sculpture... pretty sure it was on the Vatican tour) so I remember the history of the story. Though I remembered their names, I had no idea who the mother was. So I Google'd "X and X's mother" and got the answer. I think it's right, cuz it's not a planet.

Anyway I don't know too much astronomy, but trivia is fun so I'll give it some thought :)
President of DDO
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 8:19:21 AM
At 12/27/2011 8:01:19 AM, CAPLlock wrote:
At 12/27/2011 7:42:09 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
Which two planets in the solar system are not named after Gods?

Earth and Uranus

Uranus is the Greek God of the sky.