Jump to topic:

Evolution in action?

Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 7:26:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
According to the linked article below, hybrid sharks were found off the coast of Australia, and the author believes that this is a sign of predators adapting to climate change.

Scientists quoted in the article are suggesting that species hybridization might be an observable adaptive mechanism of action for evolution.

Any thoughts...

http://news.yahoo.com...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 8:07:34 AM
I would say the ability to hybridize is evidence of evolution. Hybridization is allowed between some species as a result of our common genetic heritage. The designation of different species is a partially arbitrary one, one which nature enjoys bucking from time to time.

Given common descent, we should expect hybridization. It's not like organisms are sitting around, waiting for scientists to decide whether or not they are the same species before choosing to reproduce with each other.

However, if we want to get really nitty and gritty... any time an organism is produced that is genetically different from its ancestor(s) - that is evolution in action.

When you were born: evolution in action.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 10:00:27 AM
At 1/3/2012 7:29:52 AM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Hybridization =/= evolution

don't be ridiculous. evolution is genetic change over time. hybridization is a serious genetic reshuffling, especially if the hybrids are capable of producing viable offspring. this is one mechanism by which evolution could proceed.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 10:15:46 AM
At 1/3/2012 10:00:27 AM, belle wrote:

don't be ridiculous. evolution is genetic change over time. hybridization is a serious genetic reshuffling, especially if the hybrids are capable of producing viable offspring. this is one mechanism by which evolution could proceed.

Okay. I fail.
Chthonian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 11:04:16 AM
At 1/3/2012 10:00:27 AM, belle wrote:

What is fascinating about hybridization is that it represents a unique mechanism to quickly adapt to rapid change.
Defensor-of-Apollo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 11:44:27 PM
Evidence for a theory can be classified in many different ways.

Considering a single theory evidence can be classified as the following:

Supportive - The theory explains the evidence
Not Supportive - The theory cannot/does not explain the evidence

And under Not Supportive it can be:

Disproving - The theory offers an explanation at is contradicting the evidence
Irrelevant - This evidence neither supports it or disproves it

However in this case we are generalizing two bodies of theory, which is to say there are variations within each body. As such we can explain as:

One-sided supportive - this evidence is supporting evidence exclusively for one theory
Not one-sided supportive - this evidence is not supporting evidence exclusively for one theory

Again we can break down the second into smaller subsections

Both side supporting - Supporting evidence for both theories
Not both side supporting - not supporting evidence for either theory

And the second can be divided once more:

Irrelevant - contradicts nor supports either theory
Disproving - Contradicts one or more of the theories

Technically in the previous section the Disproving can be broken once more. Also one side supporting can also be broken down:

Actual Evidence - Supports one side, negates the other
Circumstantial - Supports one side, irrelevant to other

Many of the evidences that support evolution are circumstantial or both side supporting. Please review your evidences as such.

mid you this is not meant to be a technical post but mainly for brief informatory. If I had the use of indentions I would invest my time to work through however, no such power exists to my current knowledge. Also, more exclusive to content names need to be worked out.