Jump to topic:

Open Heart Surgery

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 9:44:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My bestest friend had open heart surgery in September 2011 for a condition she's had since birth called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. HCM is a condition in which the heart muscle is too thick, and the thickening makes it harder for blood to leave the heart forcing it to work harder to pump blood. She couldn't really do anything that would make her heart beat fast (INB4 can she have sex?). They wound up filming her surgery for a television show and it was posted online. I'm usually very squirmy with this stuff, but for some reason I was able to watch it lol... weird. She has made a super quick recovery and is doing much better, though of course she'll never be entirely cured and still has to be very careful. At least she's alive whereas not having the surgery would have near guaranteed that she die before 30 (she's twenty-four). I know a few people here wanted to be doctors... or maybe they've left... but anyway, for anyone interested, I thought this was kinda cool :)

http://orlive.com...
President of DDO
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 11:08:14 AM
At 1/10/2012 10:47:52 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
What did the surgery do to her?

Allowed her to have sex. Quite an important surgery. For the father, i mean.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 11:10:52 AM
At 1/10/2012 11:10:01 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Unbelieveable.

Agreed, a girl that cant have sex, what a tragedy. Thank God they fixed her.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 11:16:32 AM

Lmfao.

I would imagine, it dilated her arteries or otherwise made it slightly easier for blood to pass through it.

She can have sex, but she must be very careful, so she can't ever have one of those really earthshattering ones that make women think they're in love for a few years.

Sillies.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 2:55:33 PM

They shaved the muscle down so the blood can flow through easier. It's still a lot thicker than how it should be, but it's much better than before.

As for sex, that was my very first question for her when we met at 14. That is the first thing that comes to mind for a lot of people lol but I dunno... She's had sex before the surgery, and though it's okay her heart started taking a turn for the worse (more palpitations, she had less energy, etc.) once she started having sex. I dunno if it's correlation or causation, or maybe just coincidence because she was bound to get worse sooner or later. I imagine it's relevant since your heart is pretty stimulated during the act, but who knows. She takes it easy otherwise; she isn't supposed to jog, climb stairs, carry heavy loads or drink alcohol (though that may be due to the meds she's on which thins her blood).
President of DDO
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 4:13:30 PM
At 1/10/2012 2:55:33 PM, Danielle wrote:

They shaved the muscle down so the blood can flow through easier. It's still a lot thicker than how it should be, but it's much better than before.

As for sex, that was my very first question for her when we met at 14. That is the first thing that comes to mind for a lot of people lol but I dunno... She's had sex before the surgery, and though it's okay her heart started taking a turn for the worse (more palpitations, she had less energy, etc.) once she started having sex. I dunno if it's correlation or causation, or maybe just coincidence because she was bound to get worse sooner or later. I imagine it's relevant since your heart is pretty stimulated during the act, but who knows. She takes it easy otherwise; she isn't supposed to jog, climb stairs, carry heavy loads or drink alcohol (though that may be due to the meds she's on which thins her blood).

She can't smoke weed. :(

She can't smoke weed, comfortably have sex, or drink?

That's the saddest story I've ever heard in my life.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 5:26:13 PM
At 1/10/2012 9:44:13 AM, Danielle wrote:
My bestest friend had open heart surgery in September 2011 for a condition she's had since birth called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. HCM is a condition in which the heart muscle is too thick, and the thickening makes it harder for blood to leave the heart forcing it to work harder to pump blood. She couldn't really do anything that would make her heart beat fast (INB4 can she have sex?). They wound up filming her surgery for a television show and it was posted online. I'm usually very squirmy with this stuff, but for some reason I was able to watch it lol... weird. She has made a super quick recovery and is doing much better, though of course she'll never be entirely cured and still has to be very careful. At least she's alive whereas not having the surgery would have near guaranteed that she die before 30 (she's twenty-four). I know a few people here wanted to be doctors... or maybe they've left... but anyway, for anyone interested, I thought this was kinda cool :)

http://orlive.com...

Funny, I have a friend who showed me this nasty site that shows people dying in all kind of gruesome ways, nasty stuff. I had no problem looking at all that and for some reason I was actually glued to the computer just fascinated by everything they showed. Yet I watched this for 2 minutes and had to turn it off. Too much for me... weird.