Jump to topic:

Euthanasia

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 5:09:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I take the position that terminally ill patients with no other options who suffer extreme agony should have the right to choose to end their lives via medically assisted suicide.

The definition of euthanasia suggests a painless death which would be a much more peaceful, ethical, and economically beneficial way to slip behind the curtain of post-existence.

I am open to civil discourse on the matter. You may evaluate it on any level you choose: ethics, science, medicine, religion, cost-benefit analysis, personal experience, stories, etc..
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 5:11:31 AM
I'm for it as long as doctors consent. I'm for the doctor consent since that seems to be the only thing distiguishing it from suicide.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 6:35:06 AM
At 1/21/2012 5:09:34 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I take the position that terminally ill patients with no other options who suffer extreme agony should have the right to choose to end their lives via medically assisted suicide.

This is the problem with the issue. The bold terms CANNOT be defined. How will you distinguish extreme agony from simple agony? And I do not think there is ever 'no other option'. Human mind likes to dwell on extremities and we love bringing melodrama to a situation, and so this is what the media has portrayed the issue to be. But these are the extremities. Legalizing euthanasia would bring up a lot more hassles than being a help.

The definition of euthanasia suggests a painless death which would be a much more peaceful, ethical, and economically beneficial way to slip behind the curtain of post-existence.

Peaceful: One of the side of legalizing it is the fact that it 'becomes an option'. The psychological effect of the same is never accounted for. Once it becomes an option, the 'extreme agony' part loses it's shine. There are a lot of times when you want to die. And these instances are bound to occur more frequently once you are ill. The death being an option is going to gnaw their resistance and the 'painless' part more so.

We should be working towards providing a support system to such people, this is a step in the opposite direction.

Ethical: This is pretty subjective. My set of ethics do not allow a person to sink into oblivion if he is suffering.

Economical: This I agree with. But then, costs overpower benefits of legalising Euthanasia.

I am open to civil discourse on the matter. You may evaluate it on any level you choose: ethics, science, medicine, religion, cost-benefit analysis, personal experience, stories, etc..
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 3:02:11 AM
At 1/21/2012 5:11:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I'm for it as long as doctors consent. I'm for the doctor consent since that seems to be the only thing distiguishing it from suicide.

What does it matter if euthanasia is distinguished from suicide?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
jackie.white
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:38:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Death with Dignity law should be legal throughout the United States because the sick could choose to no longer suffer. Due to the medical requirements, the medication cannot fall into the wrong hands. It is up to the person to change their fate and no one else"s.

If this law were to be legalized, patients diagnosed with only 6 months to live or less could choose to be put out of their discomfort and hurting, also known as euthanasia. People who choose euthanasia are not suicidal, they are just looking for an escape out of their adversity. The world does not understand what it is like to be in so much agony until they experience it for themselves or watch a loved one go through the pain

There are many ways a persons body can surprise the world around them such as overcoming a deadly disease but the likelihood of a person being cured from their disease at that point in time is quite slim. Giving them the medication helps them realize what they really want. People without a life ending disease, such as depression, cannot get this medication.

It is a person"s own choice to choose if they want to end their life. They have an idea of what might lie ahead in their upcoming months and no one should stand in the way of that. No one should be forced to end his or her life either. The community cannot decipher if the person is in enough pain to stick around or not and to continue their suffering. Death with Dignity should be an option for anyone in need.

Throughout the United States, people should be able to end their misery, and make their own choices. If the medicine is prescribed correctly, it should never be given to a non-terminal person. All that will be possible if the Death with Dignity is made legal.