Jump to topic:

You'll download physical objects soon

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 4:08:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
File-sharing site The Pirate Bay caused an Internet stir last week when it introduced a new content category called "Physibles," essentially designed to allow people to pass one another physical objects for download. The term refers to data files that are actually able to become physical objects via 3D printing technology.

http://mashable.com...
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 4:40:54 PM
At 2/1/2012 4:08:36 PM, Indophile wrote:
File-sharing site The Pirate Bay caused an Internet stir last week when it introduced a new content category called "Physibles," essentially designed to allow people to pass one another physical objects for download. The term refers to data files that are actually able to become physical objects via 3D printing technology.

http://mashable.com...

You know I have always wanted a Jessica Alba...
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 6:35:08 AM
Certainly not soon.. not in our life time.. . that source has 0 credablity. . the matter for the matterials would have to be at you place to be organized.. .ah even that is a strengh... not for a looooooong time.. if ever.. that is still pretty Sci-phi for now.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 7:43:56 AM
At 2/7/2012 6:35:08 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
Certainly not soon.. not in our life time.. . that source has 0 credablity. . the matter for the matterials would have to be at you place to be organized.. .ah even that is a strengh... not for a looooooong time.. if ever.. that is still pretty Sci-phi for now.

Incorrect. I've used a 3d printer as part of my course (and will be able to until the end of this week). If you are interested in a more reputable source; http://www.economist.com...
This is an article from 2007.
It is completely possible right now. They are using it right now. For clothes, for chocolate, for car parts, and even for weird looking figurines. If you owned a 3D printer (and they are becoming cheaper) one could certainly download a 3D model of something and print it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 8:04:18 AM
At 2/7/2012 7:43:56 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
one could certainly download a 3D model of something and print it.

This sentence right here being the key difference. You cannot "download" a physical object from one person to the next, that's impossible with science as we currently understand it.

Downloading the blueprints and calibrations for a 3D printer or other device that creates said object by reading data off of a file and then using materials at hand to create the object designed in the file is completely doable. But it is hardly the same as "downloading physical objects" - it's semantics that hypes up something that isn't very, uh, hype-able.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 10:52:43 AM
At 2/7/2012 8:04:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/7/2012 7:43:56 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
one could certainly download a 3D model of something and print it.

This sentence right here being the key difference. You cannot "download" a physical object from one person to the next, that's impossible with science as we currently understand it.

Downloading the blueprints and calibrations for a 3D printer or other device that creates said object by reading data off of a file and then using materials at hand to create the object designed in the file is completely doable. But it is hardly the same as "downloading physical objects" - it's semantics that hypes up something that isn't very, uh, hype-able.

I think it's more that you're using semantics to trivialize something amazing.

Example. I need a phillip's head screwdriver of a certain size. I don't have one, so you email it to me.

Another example: You just bought a new toy. I wonder whether it will fit a particular setup I have here at home. I ask for an example, you email it to me, and I print it out to fit it.

Last example: I have a component that I believe fits somewhere. I disagree. We argue on DDO ad infinitum until Indophile step in and emails us one, so that we can test it out and prove it.

That is... that is outright astounding. You must not understand it if you're not impressed.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 11:12:24 AM
At 2/7/2012 10:52:43 AM, Ren wrote:
That is... that is outright astounding. You must not understand it if you're not impressed.

I didn't say I wasn't impressed, I'm just saying we're not asking Scotty to beam to us a screwdriver anytime soon.

It's 3D printing, it's been around for a few years. It's amazing technology, sure, but the 3D printer is what's cool - not the act of sending a bloody data file through the internet.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 11:22:21 AM
At 2/7/2012 11:12:24 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/7/2012 10:52:43 AM, Ren wrote:

I didn't say I wasn't impressed, I'm just saying we're not asking Scotty to beam to us a screwdriver anytime soon.

It's 3D printing, it's been around for a few years. It's amazing technology, sure, but the 3D printer is what's cool - not the act of sending a bloody data file through the internet.

Pretty soon, you'll say, it's the TV that's cool - not the act of sending a bloody signal through the atmosphere.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 11:28:59 AM
At 2/7/2012 11:22:21 AM, Indophile wrote:
Pretty soon, you'll say, it's the TV that's cool - not the act of sending a bloody signal through the atmosphere.

In all honesty, the TV is what organizes what is otherwise a jumble of background radiation and electro-magnetic radiation in dozens of different wavelengths into something we can see and hear. Sending the signal through the air is relatively simple if you know how to do it. Heck, nature does it by itself.

Just saying.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 11:44:51 AM
It's long been possible to download the plans to build a house, then you just go and build it.

3D printers mainly make small plastic objects, although there are industrial versions that world with sintered metal. There was one experiment with a machine that made molds for fiberglas from a extruded mixtue of powder walnut shells and resin.

Outfits like http://www.emachineshop.com... have full machine shops that can be accessed on line with design software they provide to make a variety of parts with different materials and machines. They ship the parts to you to assemble.

One potential that hasn't been exploited much is to make highly customized products to suit individual needs and tastes using diverse custom parts. Some things that come to mind are knives, computer cases, handguns, chairs, 3D terrain models, kitchen utensils, guitars, and model cars or airplanes. You get the idea. The idea is to write high level software that generates the designs for the individual parts. Whoever writes the software could also do the assembly, as a paid service. Maybe eventually a completely custom car could be made.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 7:05:09 AM

Actually, the way the transporters in Star Trek supposedly work is that they create a data pattern of the object being transported, send that data pattern to the location and there the object is reconstructed.

So it is rather like asking Scotty to beam you a screwdriver...

The biggest problem with the current 3d printers, or at least the ones I have seen, is that they can only make things in hard plastic which limits the useful range of objects they can produce. I can see softer plastics being possible, but materials like metals or cloth don't really lend themselves to laminated printing.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 9:06:26 AM
At 2/7/2012 11:44:51 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
It's long been possible to download the plans to build a house, then you just go and build it.

3D printers mainly make small plastic objects, although there are industrial versions that world with sintered metal. There was one experiment with a machine that made molds for fiberglas from a extruded mixtue of powder walnut shells and resin.

Outfits like http://www.emachineshop.com... have full machine shops that can be accessed on line with design software they provide to make a variety of parts with different materials and machines. They ship the parts to you to assemble.

One potential that hasn't been exploited much is to make highly customized products to suit individual needs and tastes using diverse custom parts. Some things that come to mind are knives, computer cases, handguns, chairs, 3D terrain models, kitchen utensils, guitars, and model cars or airplanes. You get the idea. The idea is to write high level software that generates the designs for the individual parts. Whoever writes the software could also do the assembly, as a paid service. Maybe eventually a completely custom car could be made.

lol .. you mean organize plastic object ... it create new substance
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 3:18:23 PM
At 2/8/2012 7:05:09 AM, Floid wrote:

Actually, the way the transporters in Star Trek supposedly work is that they create a data pattern of the object being transported, send that data pattern to the location and there the object is reconstructed.

Wow, I just got owned.
smc_gamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 7:34:26 PM
The problem with this theory is this - you have to have the basic components on hand locally, just as you do ink and paper for a conventional printer. Otherwise, such a thing would violate the Law of Conservation of Matter - the atoms in that chocolate bar have to come from somewhere.
"If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?"
-Hobbes
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 8:00:04 PM
At 2/8/2012 7:05:09 AM, Floid wrote:

The biggest problem with the current 3d printers, or at least the ones I have seen, is that they can only make things in hard plastic which limits the useful range of objects they can produce. I can see softer plastics being possible, but materials like metals or cloth don't really lend themselves to laminated printing.

That doesn't appear to place very many limitations. There are a minority of regularly used objects that can't be useable if fashioned form plastic of different densities, which in fact, they do currently have.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 8:05:52 PM
At 2/7/2012 11:44:51 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

We're not simply talking about the CAD vector image of something. We've been able to do that since, what, the 80's?

You're completely glazing over the issue, discussing irrelevancies and making equivocations with no substantiation.

This is the actual process being discussed.

I have a bong. I think it's the most awesome bong in the world, and I want you to try it. However, I'm in England and you're in Africa. So, I decide to email it to you. Here's what I would do.

First, I would get my infra-red scanner, which essentially looks akin to the infra-red scanners they use in supermakets (and, it works quite the same, as well). This scanner digitally implements the object three-dimensionally in my computer. In other words, I simply point a ray gun at it and my computer can essentially "see" it in space, which is pretty freaking incredibly awesome in and of itself.

Then, I take that file and send it to you. You can then download the file and view it, which, again, is pretty dope in and of itself, because it's the actual 3-dimensional object, rather than a flat image. This means that I can tell you to look at that sick swirly design under the bowl and you can turn it over and look at it on your computer.

However!

Now, you become jealous, and you want to try out some fresh dank on it. So, you go to your printer, and print that motherfcker out. Now, you have your own version of the bowl, likely more resilient than the first and in any color or combination of colors you choose (you can indeed edit these things before printing them).

That.

Is fcking awesome.

Any of you that don't think so, seriously, you're either being pretentious or you don't understand it.

Because that's inkwedibulllllllll.