What is your oppinion on death penalty?

Group_nice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 4:30:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi everybody who reads this!
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.
TheGhostOfCivilization
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2017 5:20:25 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
It's needed. After somebody commits a crime of a very horrible nature, they simply do not deserve to live anymore. Why bother feeding them and giving them a free ride in prison for the rest of their lives? Anybody who murders anybody else when they are 18 or older should automatically get the death penalty. This obviously does not include self-defense, murdering those who break into one's home while they are there, or defense from domestic violence in which of course murder is necessary. If people knew that killing somebody else would automatically get them a one-way ticket on death row, I GUARANTEE murders would at least cut in half. If you kill somebody (again, without it being self-defense) and you are at least 18, you get lethal injection, simple as that. We have DNA evidence and all sorts of methods to be sure they are guilty now unlike say 30 or 40 years ago. The point of the death penalty isn't necessarily to deter crime, which I believe it actually does despite what research says, but to ease the pain of those affected by the crime. The family of the person who was murdered will be in great emotional pain because of the death of the murdered person, and because of that great pain they will suffer, the murderer should die. Think about a child who gets raped. This will emotionally scar them until the day they die, it's a horrendous crime for somebody to do and because of the pain they have caused on the child they need to die. We need to expand the death penalty to include other offenses besides murder such as: rape of a child, repeated rape, severe torture, kidnapping, severe child abuse, human trafficking, and similar crimes. Again, when one does these sort of things, they simply need to die. I would rather have my tax dollars go towards killing them than feeding and housing them until they die. So in conclusion, we need to keep capital punishment and we should expand capital punishment.
-TheGhostOfCivilization
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2017 7:58:43 PM
At 4/29/2017 5:20:25 PM, TheGhostOfCivilization wrote:
It's needed. After somebody commits a crime of a very horrible nature, they simply do not deserve to live anymore. Why bother feeding them and giving them a free ride in prison for the rest of their lives? Anybody who murders anybody else when they are 18 or older should automatically get the death penalty. This obviously does not include self-defense, murdering those who break into one's home while they are there, or defense from domestic violence in which of course murder is necessary.

Yes, but some mercy must be kept in mind, remarkably so when you want to expand it in the way you go on to describe.

If people knew that killing somebody else would automatically get them a one-way ticket on death row, I GUARANTEE murders would at least cut in half.

Sure, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with this. If this expansion of the death penalty was implemented murders might decrease, but false killings of innocents would skyrocket. It is already at 4.1% as is, even though it's relatively uncommon.
(https://www.google.com...) (https://www.theguardian.com...)

This is the most glaring reason as to why the death penalty is so expensive. If the state is going to sentence someone to death, they want to know that they're guilty without any reasonable doubt. Even then it's not an airtight system.

If you kill somebody (again, without it being self-defense) and you are at least 18, you get lethal injection, simple as that. We have DNA evidence and all sorts of methods to be sure they are guilty now unlike say 30 or 40 years ago.

Yes, but look at that 4.1% innocent death rate again. There is no telling all the factors that could contribute to someone being put to death when they're actually innocent.

The point of the death penalty isn't necessarily to deter crime, which I believe it actually does despite what research says, but to ease the pain of those affected by the crime. The family of the person who was murdered will be in great emotional pain because of the death of the murdered person, and because of that great pain they will suffer, the murderer should die.

This might be a reasonable point if there wasn't evidence to refute this. (https://www.google.com...)

Think about a child who gets raped. This will emotionally scar them until the day they die, it's a horrendous crime for somebody to do and because of the pain they have caused on the child they need to die.

I agree that this is an absolutely monstrous thing to do, but as stated by the article linked above, the death penalty will not provide closure. For one, to have someone sentenced to death is a long, grueling process. One example of this is from the article I linked before about the kidnapping and rape of twelve-year-old Andria Brewer from the perspective of her mother, Rebecca Petty.

"Before [the crime] happened, Petty said her family had never experienced crime, so she never gave the death penalty much thought. 'When it happens to your own child you gave birth to, you taught to walk and talk and [lived with] 12 years, that's the point " it makes up your mind for you.'

"In June 2000, [Karl] Roberts waived his right to appeal the case in court. He confessed and was convicted for murdering his niece; he was sentenced to die on Jan. 6, 2004. Petty said she and her family prayed and decided to go watch Roberts' execution. But shortly before he was supposed to be lethally injected, Roberts said he changed his mind and wanted to appeal after all. Petty left the prison that bitterly cold night in disbelief. Roberts still sits on death row, but his execution remains unscheduled.

"Since then, Petty entered politics and has advocated for victims' rights. She secured funding to expand the witness area attached to the execution chamber on Arkansas' death row. When she considered what would result from Arkansas' original plan to execute eight men in 11 days, Petty said it won't offer closure, but 'will close chapters for these families.'"

Long appeals and waits for the killing to actually happen keeps the trauma fresh in the mind of families.

We need to expand the death penalty to include other offenses besides murder such as: rape of a child, repeated rape, severe torture, kidnapping, severe child abuse, human trafficking, and similar crimes.

Again, when one does these sort of things, they simply need to die. I would rather have my tax dollars go towards killing them than feeding and housing them until they die.

Have you considered that it is much more expensive to find the death penalty than life sentences? Expansion will only make it even more expensive, especially if it were as drastic as you wish to make it. (https://deathpenaltyinfo.org...)

So in conclusion, we need to keep capital punishment and we should expand capital punishment.

That would be horrible for the entire nation.
~missbailey8~

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"No one hates missbailey8 - she doesn't have enough of a persona to be hated." - Airmax1227

"I broke the penis!" - Solon <3

"You're not quite a woman."
-YYW

The Clown Queen of DDO
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2017 2:39:09 PM
At 2/2/2012 4:30:14 AM, Group_nice wrote:
We have made a group concerning our theme week. We have a project task to do, and it is about death penalty in the U.S.A. We want to know all about how you guys feel. Our group is against death penalty, but still we want to hear your opinions. How does the legalization of death penalty have an effect on your society in the U.S.A. Are you guys more satisfied about murderers getting what they "deserve" or are you guys just sad about it? Just write down everything you feel. And of course if you don't want to share then it is okay.

The death penalty assumes that the judicial systems of a country are perfect, that is, there is no possibility of making mistakes and therefore there is no possibility of killing someone by mistake. The abolition of the death penalty starts with the understanding that there's always the chance, no matter how small, that any punishment imposed on a criminal may be mistaken, and therefore this punishment must be subjected to revocation. As death can obviously not be revoked, the death penalty does not make any sense in any judicial system that follows this premise.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2017 12:39:34 PM

I believe that the death penalty is alright in some cases, but I also believe that our prison system should focus much more on rehabilitation and reintegration. Of course, there are those that cannot be rehabilitated, and these are the cases in which I think that the death penalty would be alright. This is a person that has killed multiple people and cannot be rehabilitated or reintegrated safely into society. To keep them in prison for life is simply a waste of space, money, and other resources. It just makes more sense to me that they should be killed. Humanely, of course. No need to cause more suffering.
CosmoJarvis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2017 6:39:38 PM
Certainly, when someone commits a horrible crime such as rape or murder, the person is deserving of a severe punishment such as life in prison or death. However, I am passionately against the death penalty because of the possibility of the person exonerated to be innocent. According to a study reported by Newsweek.com, one in twenty-five people sentenced to death in the US is innocent. Additionally, while some people say that the death penalty is a "good deterrent of crime," over 80% of criminologists, according to Greengarageblog.org, agree that it is not.

Because of the very real risks of innocent people who were unjustly framed for a crime dying, I am against capital punishment.
"fake and gay" -Vaarka
"Submit to the soy or be annihilated." -Thett3
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2017 3:29:40 PM
As this is suppsed to be the science forum I think we could consider methods of exectution rather than the morality. The rights and wrongs we can leave to the religion and philosophy boards!

What surprises me a little is that - if you have to execute anyone - carbon monoxide poisoning is not used. It is painless, certain and doesn't require any thing more complicated than a faulty gas boiler. It is notorious as a 'stealth killer' because it causes no pain or distress.

Horizon did a classic documentary on exectution methods a few years ago
http://www.dailymotion.com...

There have been quite a few inventive ones over the years..
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2017 1:01:07 AM
Posted: 3 months ago

We used to have the death penalty in Canada until it was formally abolished in 1976. My father always said to me: " Son, you should only believe in the death penalty if you are willing to carry it out yourself. I have not believed in it since. I do believe in life long incarceration though. It is society's right to remove scum from our sight until they die.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2017 5:29:05 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 6/13/2017 1:47:52 AM, sadolite wrote:
What is your opinion on death penalty? kILL'EM ALL AND LET GOD SORT'EM OUT.

That's exactly how I feel too!!
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2017 6:08:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I don't think the death penalty is necessary to exercise proper justice. There is more than one way to take someone's life. Lifetime prison sentences are a much more effective way to do so. They are cheaper, more ethical, and are reversible, should it later come to light that the conviction was wrong. For me personally, I don't think anyone has a right to end another's life, not even for the pursuit of justice.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2017 2:27:26 PM
I would be hunky dory with the death penalty if I had more faith in the justice system.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
John_C_1812
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2017 4:07:03 PM

By Basic principle and legal precedent a death penalty is something a person issues to another person only. A state by United States Constitution is obligated to the common defense and general welfare and issue a state of Capital Punishment directed toward the convicted.

This is describing simply the highest level of Punishment a person can assert on themselves by conviction of crime, and would require an impartial judicial separation to remove he/she and the governing state of Murder. Death penalty is a prediction of bias.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2017 9:23:28 AM
Posted: 1 month ago

One question before I start: Why is this in the science forum?

Honestly, with the state of the prison system in the US right now, I'd definitely support the death penalty. They are overcrowded and just horrible. All they do is lock people up and nothing else. No rehabilitation or anything. Just a bunch of violent criminals locked up together and, surprise surprise, remaining violent. What is the point of locking people up for life in an already overcrowded prison and just leaving them there to remain violent with no rehabilitation? It doesn't make sense. Now, if prisons in the US were to change and focus primarily on rehabilitation, rather than just trying to lock people up and forget about them, I would change my answer. It makes more sense to rehabilitate someone than it does to lock them up and forget about them or just kill them. You lock them up, and it costs money. They are a burden on society. You kill them, and they are no longer a burden, but they are not useful either. You rehabilitate them, and the majority of prisoners can integrate back into society and actually be useful. But, since prisons in the US do not focus on rehabilitation, a dead, useless person is better than a live, violent burden on society.