2012 and the Bible.

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 2:58:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/17/2009 2:49:40 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
You do realize that the 2012 date comes from EGYPTIAN writings, and not the Bible...

I thought it came from Mayan writings?

If it came from Egyptian writings, then it just proves the Bible is a silly little regional book, duh! GodSands can't have that.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 3:02:47 PM
Jesus told that these things will happen. In Mathew 24, go read it Tarzan. I know you don't read the Bible. But try doing so, will ya.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 3:08:02 PM
Means nothing. As can be attested to by thousands upon thousands of scholars, the events in Matthew 24, specifcally "And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down," and the rest of it, already happened.

There is nothing really left standing from Jesus' supposed time in Jerusalem, there has been wars waged and kingdoms abolished and destroyed and there has been pestilence, earthquakes and tonnes of other horrible things have happened to that area. All of this stuff has already come to pass, and there is absolutely nothing that says "it'll be in 2012 as well". It is not proof.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 4:21:10 PM
Got a good future in front of you then, your life will end as if it never began. Jesus is very meaningful, The Holy Spirit has changed my life. What are you talking about Jesus being an none meaningful person? You have not a clue, seriously you don't. And too all you closed minded atheists you WILL eat your words and swollow them like a glass of clear cool water. That I promise.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 4:23:24 PM
At 6/17/2009 4:21:10 PM, GodSands wrote:
Got a good future in front of you then, your life will end as if it never began. Jesus is very meaningful, The Holy Spirit has changed my life. What are you talking about Jesus being an none meaningful person? You have not a clue, seriously you don't. And too all you closed minded atheists you WILL eat your words and swollow them like a glass of clear cool water. That I promise.

Good supportive argument for your post, very fact-filled.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 4:23:27 PM
The bible does not say anything about 2012.

The bible does say something like "I will come when they least expect me", so it is probably not 2012 at all.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 4:32:57 PM
At 6/17/2009 4:23:27 PM, wjmelements wrote:

The bible does say something like "I will come when they least expect me", so it is probably not 2012 at all.

Yeah... it's the Mayans, not the Bible.

It has to do with the astrological or zodiacal calendar. I think the Mayans got 2012, because that is the age where Aquarius supposedly turns into Capricorn (or something like that).
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 4:36:27 PM
At 6/17/2009 4:32:57 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/17/2009 4:23:27 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Yeah... it's the Mayans, not the Bible.

It has to do with the astrological or zodiacal calendar. I think the Mayans got 2012, because that is the age where Aquarius supposedly turns into Capricorn (or something like that).

O.o It's when the long count calendar recycles. Also the alignment already happened, the Sun is moving north of that point.
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 4:40:29 PM

Listen, there's absolutely nothing with Christianity (or, there's at least much wrong with it as there is wrong with Judaism, Islam, atheism, etc.) and I don't think any reasonable person will fault you for believing in it. If we do fault you, we certainty don't do so under the banner of religion. That is, we're not trying to convert you or prove you wrong or discount you because we accept that you know more about your religion than us non-believers. We only ask that you pay us the same courtesy. Do not try to debate something you have absolutely no idea about. More often than not, your brand of Christianity and modern science are mutually exclusive. It's disingenuous for you to pass off Christianity as science just as it would be wrong for us to pass off science as superior to religion. They can work side-by-side, but rarely together and never one atop the other.

So I ask that you not try to undermine the mechanisms through which we see the world by using something that does not belong to this field and we will return the favour.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 5:21:04 PM
At 6/17/2009 4:40:29 PM, MistahKurtz wrote:
because we accept that you know more about your religion than us non-believers.

Oh I wouldn't go that far. Speak for yourself, brother! :D
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 5:23:05 PM
I wonder what these 2012 nuts will say when 2013 comes.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 5:27:52 PM
At 6/17/2009 5:23:05 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

... There's this thing right, it will occur in 2020...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 5:29:22 PM

Haha. I go to a Catholic school, so all the kids always freak out about the Apocalypse or whatever happening in 2012. I just think it's stupid. a) Jesus will surprise us. b) The Bible does not refer to 2012 c) Why does it matter? d) I don't care
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 5:30:11 PM
At 6/17/2009 5:27:52 PM, Puck wrote:

... There's this thing right, it will occur in 2020...

Haha, that'll be the one.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 6:33:27 PM
At 6/17/2009 6:03:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Some believed that Y2K was going to trigger the end of the world.

Some believe the world is only a few thousand years old, that the first woman was made from a rib of a man, and that a talking snake convinced a person to eat an apple and that is why we have evil in our souls...

Haha jkjk
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 6:43:10 PM
The "apocalypse" that the Bible foretells of is part of the hook of all apocalyptic religions: join "us" now (i.e., conform) and perhaps god will spare you at the final judgement. I was raised as, or better yet brainwashed to be, a Jehovah's Witness as a child. In the 1920s, they published a book called "Millions Now Living Will Never Die." There went that, as pretty much everyone then living did not live to see "the end." Then, there was a big deal in 1979: the JWs said that that was the year it would end. A lot of people either sold or gave away all of their property; needless to say they were neither pleased nor amused on New Year's Day, 1980. The hook is "the end is coming soon." That has been the message of Christianity for 2000 years now. Perhaps "soon" is a relative word? Perhaps it has a different meaning than what is in most dictionaries?

Of course, Jesus (according to the person who wrote under the pseudonym "Luke") supposedly said this, after some very poetic ramblings about "the end":
"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled."
Luke 21:32

Needless to say, I am always asking my dear mother, who despite my best efforts remains a JW, when the end is coming, so that I can be ready for my final and eternal fate.

"Soon."
Don't I take care of them all?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 6:46:38 PM
At 6/17/2009 6:33:27 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/17/2009 6:03:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Some believed that Y2K was going to trigger the end of the world.

Some believe the world is only a few thousand years old, that the first woman was made from a rib of a man

Ya know, oddly enough it would make more sense the other way around. Don't ya think?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 6:53:56 PM

Although I am not an atheist personally, I am pretty sure that by the reckoning of most Christians I will be spending a long time on fire, hanging out with Satan and Hitler. So hopefully there will be lots of clear cool water. If the choice is between hanging out with religious types for eternity and - oh, wait, that would be hell for me, so I suppose I actually am going to heaven. See you there man!
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 8:39:15 PM
I'm patient enough to wait 3 years and not take a position on 2012 :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 1:21:19 AM
My belief is that the 7th seal has opened and now we are in the 1/2 hour of silence. So by that timing in about 2021 = when Christ will appear in glory to the world.

Mostly I base this idea off of talking with someone I respect, who heard it from someone I also respect. And also this scripture:

Revelation 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.

Each seal representing a 1,000 year period of time:
Doctrine and Covenants 77:7 Q. What are we to understand by the seven seals with which it was sealed?
A. We are to understand that the first seal contains the things of the first thousand years, and the second also of the second thousand years, and so on until the seventh.

Also each 1,000 year period being a day with God:
2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
--------------------------------------------------
500 years = 12 hours
250 years = 6 hours
125 years = 3 hours
62.5 years = 1 1/2 hours

1 1/2 hours = 3 half hour periods.
62.5/ 3 = 20.833333
or roughly 21 years.
Therefore 1/2 hour = about 21 years
---------------------------------------------------
If the calendar has remained fairly accurate since Christ came, then about 2021 will be the time of the 2nd Coming (when Christ comes in glory to the world)(there are other 2nd Comings per se...such as when He will appear at Armageddon).

No man knows the day nor the hour when He will come:
Doctrine and Covenants 133:11 Watch, therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour.
...it doesn't say that no one knows the year or month....maybe someone knows....I can tell you that I don't know that for sure though...but this is my best guess.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 4:29:52 AM
The Bible says that the time when Christ comes against will been seen clearly for those who dwell in Christ, like the telling of spring from winter. But those who do not dwell in Christ Jesus, he will come like a theif in the night.

2012 will not be when Jesus returns, however when Jesus mentioned earthquakes and wars on the increase, it will be soon, I believe my self that Jesus will return some time after 2012? I can only keep an open eye out for the signs. Jesus also said that there will be numours signs in the sky, as we all know there have been plenty of those. UFO's forming signs in the sky, which ulitmatliy relate back to the Egyptians.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 10:42:04 AM
I again refer you to your own "sacred" text:

Luke 21:32

The generation Jesus was referring has long been passed away, I verily tell you. The "end" has been "near" for 2000 years now, a third of mankind's existence, if one reads a literal interpretation, which it would seem most apocalyptics do. And unfortunately it will remain "near" into whatever far future Christianity has.

The year: 40,000 AD
The place: Old York
John: Are you guys ready? The end is at hand I tell you. We are at war with every race in the galaxy, the earth is more or less a big parking lot - all the signs foretold have come to pass.
Mark: No, it won't be here for some time - but soon. We have yet to see the Antichrist.
Matt: The alien leader Bu'qthatim IS the Antichrist! He is here!

and the debate continues...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 11:34:10 AM
At 6/18/2009 4:29:52 AM, GodSands wrote:
The Bible says that the time when Christ comes against will been seen clearly for those who dwell in Christ, like the telling of spring from winter. But those who do not dwell in Christ Jesus, he will come like a theif in the night.

2012 will not be when Jesus returns, however when Jesus mentioned earthquakes and wars on the increase, it will be soon, I believe my self that Jesus will return some time after 2012? I can only keep an open eye out for the signs. Jesus also said that there will be numours signs in the sky, as we all know there have been plenty of those. UFO's forming signs in the sky, which ulitmatliy relate back to the Egyptians.

How does that relate back to the Egyptians? Because of the theory that aliens made the pyramids? Really? That is the pin in your theory?

By the way, 'increase in wars'? I don't know if you've noticed, but compare our modern era to the past and we seem pretty peaceful. What 'increase in wars' have you seen occur?