Jump to topic:

WHAT tHE BLEEP DO WE KNOW?!

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 8:07:58 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I watched this pseudo-documentary last night called What the Bleep Do We Know which I thought was a little... off, to say the least. Basically it was a movie about reality, perception, consciousness, and attempted to use quantum physics intertwined with spirituality to reveal The Secret (for those of you who are familiar with The Secret).

Anyway, I'm super interested in quantum physics, so I thought this would be a really interesting film... until this COMPLETE whack-job called Ramtha (who is obviously some sort of cult leader who she says "channels" someone by the name of JZ Knight from Roswell, New Mexico LOL) started distorting the few 'facts' revealed by the credited scientists in the film to basically relate just a bunch of hullabaloo nonsense which I fear some people will automatically accept as truth.

Essentially what I saw in the film were a bunch of cooks; some cooks are actually brilliant, but these seemed like cooks who just thought they were. Nevertheless it was a somewhat interesting film and I'm curious if anyone else here has ever seen it or has any feedback on it. Right now I'm unsure if the filmmakers just manipulated the data provided by the seemingly credible scientists featured in the film (most of whom have relatively impressive credentials) OR if these scientists are merely cooks themselves, since I found out that all of the ones featured follow Ramtha's School of Thought. Hmm.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:27:31 AM
I already have that link open, ironically enough : )

Any other *independent* thoughts for those who may have seen this...?

Ps. This is my 1,000th post. w00t.
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:36:20 AM
At 7/16/2009 9:27:31 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I already have that link open, ironically enough : )

Any other *independent* thoughts for those who may have seen this...?

Ps. This is my 1,000th post. w00t.

Only 1000? I haven't been here for at least 1/6 the time you have and I'm way past that.

Though it isn't about the doc directly, I've heard about Ramtha and JZ Knight on Coast-to-Coast AM a couple times. Ramtha was an Atlantean and spoke through Knight about the wonders of Atlantis and all the advanced technology, etc. It is similar to, if you know about him, the Edgar Casey channelings, which were of the same manner and about the same subjects, etc. I remember thinking it is probable Ms. Knight is just ripping off Casey's works. I guarantee you she gets money to her "School of Enlightenment".
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 4:55:27 PM
I haven't seen it, but I frequently watch documentaries, and was actually looking at this one a couple mornings ago. I watched a documentary about the word f-ck instead, and I'm sticking by my choice; it was an amusing little movie. In fact, I'd recommend it to any documentary fans.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 5:08:41 PM
I saw that documentary - god I hated it. Quantum mysticism to it's very best.

And I'd like a link to the documentary about the F-word, if you can :).
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 7:10:05 PM
At 7/16/2009 5:08:41 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

"Every single physics textbook on the planet earth is wrong." - Michio Kaku, Quantum Physicist

Maybe your current perception of physics is rooted in mainstream physics and perhaps What the Bleep Do We Know is correct.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:06:14 PM
At 7/16/2009 8:48:48 PM, MTGandP wrote:
At 7/16/2009 8:51:56 AM, Puck wrote:
http://skeptico.blogs.com...

OMG <3 Skeptico!

LOL. You sound like a pre-teen girl who loves the Jonas Brothers... except for SKEPTICO!!
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:42:17 PM
At 7/16/2009 7:10:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

"Every single physics textbook on the planet earth is wrong." - Michio Kaku, Quantum Physicist

Maybe your current perception of physics is rooted in mainstream physics and perhaps What the Bleep Do We Know is correct.

That's a HEAVY maybe. Dang, you just can't get away from pseudo-scientific beliefs can you?

I just don't get it. I'd understand if someone believed in maybe one or two conspiracy theories/fringe theories. But you seem to top it all. Illuminati, quantum mysticism (?), a conscious universe, the list goes on.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:55:15 PM
At 7/16/2009 9:42:17 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

That's a HEAVY maybe. Dang, you just can't get away from pseudo-scientific beliefs can you?

I just don't get it. I'd understand if someone believed in maybe one or two conspiracy theories/fringe theories. But you seem to top it all. Illuminati, quantum mysticism (?), a conscious universe, the list goes on.

It should make sense considering the intellectual influences I listed on my profile.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 10:21:19 PM
I'm in the middle of the documentary now, and I'm disappointed that the speakers weren't very articulate. It would have been more convincing if they didn't actually speak like nutjobs. Though, Stuart Hameroff (the main speaker with the long beard) did a good job of presenting the info.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 10:28:41 PM
At 7/16/2009 9:06:14 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/16/2009 8:48:48 PM, MTGandP wrote:
At 7/16/2009 8:51:56 AM, Puck wrote:
http://skeptico.blogs.com...

OMG <3 Skeptico!

LOL. You sound like a pre-teen girl who loves the Jonas Brothers... except for SKEPTICO!!

I also love Pharyngula.
kukupser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 12:31:09 AM
Yea I have the movie, I haven't watched it yet though. I totally forgot about it until I saw this post. I'll watch it and get back to you.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand. - Kurt Vonnegut
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 7:29:50 AM
Personally I'd rather read a good biography of Picasso than view one of his paintings.

Proverbs4:23
KEEP
your heart
with ALL
diligence,
for out of IT
spring the
issues of LIFE.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2009 4:36:05 AM
At 7/17/2009 12:31:09 AM, kukupser wrote:
Yea I have the movie, I haven't watched it yet though. I totally forgot about it until I saw this post. I'll watch it and get back to you.

Don't bother. It's a bunch of RUBBISH : )
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2009 4:41:30 AM
At 7/16/2009 10:21:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I'm in the middle of the documentary now, and I'm disappointed that the speakers weren't very articulate. It would have been more convincing if they didn't actually speak like nutjobs. Though, Stuart Hameroff (the main speaker with the long beard) did a good job of presenting the info.

So what you're saying is that you're okay with the nutjobs speaking utter nonsense so long as they don't SOUND like they're speaking nonsense?

1) Not all of them were speaking nonsense; there was a credible physicist in there whose words were entirely manipulated by the cult (that's right - I said it) of Ramtha, etc.

2) All of these "scientists" are students of Ramtha's Enlightenment (hehe). Did I mention her enlightenment costs about $1,000 per session? I don't see why it shouldn't, after all, since JZ Knight (the boxy woman with a horrible fake accent who looks like she's wearing a red Star Trek outfit) is channeling Ramtha, the 35,000 year old warrior from Atlantis... that sounds expensive.

Anyway, Geo, Skeptic's right: You need to be careful not to confuse mysticism with science. Just because people take different ideas from science or use the word "quantum" in their explanation doesn't mean that what they're saying isn't total crap. I'd rather show you how though instead of just lecturing you, so if you'd like to have a debate on the movie or something all in good fun, I'd totally be down for that.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 12:50:16 AM
At 7/19/2009 4:41:30 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/16/2009 10:21:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

So what you're saying is that you're okay with the nutjobs speaking utter nonsense so long as they don't SOUND like they're speaking nonsense?

No, not at all. I already know that this information is legit regardless of who's saying it. I'm just saying that poor presentation can lead to poor reception.

1) Not all of them were speaking nonsense; there was a credible physicist in there whose words were entirely manipulated by the cult (that's right - I said it) of Ramtha, etc.

Agreed.

Anyway, Geo, Skeptic's right: You need to be careful not to confuse mysticism with science. Just because people take different ideas from science or use the word "quantum" in their explanation doesn't mean that what they're saying isn't total crap.

That is a complete strawman. I was presented with this information by a man who never even uses the word "quantum" nor identifies himself as a scientist. So saying I accept things just because a scientist said it or it has the word "quantum" in it is false. I actually understand all of the scientific concepts (I write essays on this stuff) which is why I can verify what the documentary said.

I'd rather show you how though instead of just lecturing you, so if you'd like to have a debate on the movie or something all in good fun, I'd totally be down for that.

Sure thing.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2009 10:34:46 AM
At 7/16/2009 9:55:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/16/2009 9:42:17 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

It should make sense considering the intellectual influences I listed on my profile.

You didn't list "concoction of meth and LSD" as far as I can tell.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2009 7:53:46 AM
Geo... Are you saying you'd like to debate me on the validity of the concepts presented in What the Bleep Do We Know?! Give me details and I'll challenge you straight away : )
President of DDO