Artificial Brains

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 8:55:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Researchers are currently working on created an artificial, working model of a human brain. They're apparently done it already with a mouse, with some interesting results.

The basic premise is to find out how the brain works. This has major benefits in the field of psychology and biology - as well as helping those with mental illness or other cerebral diseases.

Aside from the psychological and medical benefits of artificial brains, I'm interested in the evolutionary side. Our brains are always evolving - it would be interesting to see what stimuli causes that evolution, and the possible results that can come from it.

Anyone else have thoughts about this breakthrough? Any other benefits we can find?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 9:10:02 PM
Interesting stuff. I was reading some things on that; I remember seeing one bit in Scientific American (if it is to be believed), and it was discussing how, to build the equivalent of a fully-functional human brain, it would be equivalent to something like a football field filled with supercomputers; I would have to look up the article again though; though I think it agreed with the possibility of the near-future technology mentioned in the BBC report.

Honestly, it's a very bold claim for scientists to be making, but it's also very intriguing; if we could actually unlock all the secrets of the human brain, it could be absolutely revolutionary; it could lead to being able to cure all kinds of mental diseases, replace non-functioning parts of the brain, and even enhance the functionality of our own gray matter; it's a very exciting prospect!
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 6:25:24 AM
It's always 'working on' or 'close to a breakthrough' isn't it?

The human brain is EASILY the most complex piece of equipment known to man. Nothing else comes close.
Now we are going to USE that brain to replicate a.. brain. Mmm.

It's SPIRIT we are lacking, not brains.

1Corinthians1:14
B
U
T
the natural man does
N
O
T
recieve the things of the Spirit of God
F
O
R
they are foolishness to him
N
O
R
can he know them
B
E
C
A
U
S
E
they are spiritually discerned.
The Cross.. the Cross.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 10:39:39 AM
I think it's wishful thinking...for the time being. With the exception of quantum computing, I don't see how they can come close to mimicking the human brain. And quantum computing is quite a way aways, if it is even possible at all.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 10:57:40 AM
At 7/23/2009 10:39:39 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
I think it's wishful thinking...for the time being. With the exception of quantum computing, I don't see how they can come close to mimicking the human brain. And quantum computing is quite a way aways, if it is even possible at all.

I think they'll be able to get the rudimentary basics down. They can follow the most common paths seen across the spectrum of different human brains, and create a basic model. From that basic model, they'll be able to add in different variations and see what it comes up with.

This takes a lot of computer processing to do, but I don't think it is outside of the realm of possibility.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:11:29 AM
Neither do I think it's outside the realm of possibility...just not any time soon. I don't think we have the computing power or enough understanding as to how the human brain works.
WOS
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:17:25 AM
At 7/23/2009 11:11:29 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Neither do I think it's outside the realm of possibility...just not any time soon. I don't think we have the computing power or enough understanding as to how the human brain works.

I think we can try at least with what we have now. As they've said, it would take probably, at the very least, 10,000 processors to simulate the most basic brain abilities.

But, since every year we're increasing the capacity and effectiveness of our processors and computers, give it time and we'll get enough. Ten years is a fairly long time too.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 12:01:34 PM
I have nothing against the attempt...just don't think it'll happen in the next 10 years.
WOS
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2009 7:22:19 AM
At 7/23/2009 12:01:34 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
I have nothing against the attempt...just don't think it'll happen in the next 10 years.

You have nothing against billions of dollars being spent on this and 101 other useless projects (space travel etc) while THOUSANDS STARVE? ok.

Jeremiah21:8
A
N
D
to
T
H
I
S
people
Y
O
U
shall say,
T
H
I
S
says the Lord; I set before you the way of
L
I
F
E
and the way of
D
E
A
T
H

The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2009 7:40:05 AM
At 7/25/2009 7:22:19 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 7/23/2009 12:01:34 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

You have nothing against billions of dollars being spent on this and 101 other useless projects (space travel etc) while THOUSANDS STARVE? ok.

Lol, you're the one with the supposed 'moral backbone' here. You pledge your money to the starving.

Technology is as important to develop. Space Travel allows use to possibly settle and cultivate new lands in space. Thus creating more food, thus helping the starving.

Knowledge is finite, but we are nowhere to uncovering everything.

Our food, however, is extremely finite.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.