Jump to topic:

The Human Body Glows

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2009 11:46:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Past research has shown that the body emits visible light which is more evidence that we are divine beings. This video expands on the concept of DNA both absorbing and emitting light and the energy "akin to solar matter" lodged within every living organism.

From the article:
"The human body literally glows, emitting a visible light in extremely small quantities at levels that rise and fall with the day, scientists now reveal." - LiveScience.com

http://www.livescience.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 6:37:22 AM
John1:4&5
In Him was Life; and the life was the
L
I
G
H
T
of men.
And the
L
I
G
H
T
shined in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not.
The Cross.. the Cross.
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 9:50:36 AM
At 7/22/2009 11:46:02 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Past research has shown that the body emits visible light which is more evidence that we are divine beings. This video expands on the concept of DNA both absorbing and emitting light and the energy "akin to solar matter" lodged within every living organism.

From the article:
"The human body literally glows, emitting a visible light in extremely small quantities at levels that rise and fall with the day, scientists now reveal." - LiveScience.com

http://www.livescience.com...

Even if we emit light, this does not constitute proof that we are "divine beings". Are phosphorescent algae divine beings?
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 10:31:26 AM
Don't ALL things have luminescence to one degree or another? If I'm not mistaken, that is a fundamental property of matter.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 10:40:34 AM
At 7/23/2009 10:31:26 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Don't ALL things have luminescence to one degree or another? If I'm not mistaken, that is a fundamental property of matter.

Matter does not emit light. It reflects light. That's why you only see color when a light is on. If the lights are off, everything turns black because nothing is reflecting light for the human eye to interpret as color.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 10:58:10 AM
At 7/23/2009 10:40:34 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Matter does not emit light. It reflects light. That's why you only see color when a light is on. If the lights are off, everything turns black because nothing is reflecting light for the human eye to interpret as color.

Uhmm...let me think about it...You are plain wrong!
For starters, the human body emits radiation in the infrared frequency. While the human eye cannot detect this, it still there.
WOS
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:01:25 AM
At 7/23/2009 10:58:10 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/23/2009 10:40:34 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Uhmm...let me think about it...You are plain wrong!
For starters, the human body emits radiation in the infrared frequency. While the human eye cannot detect this, it still there.

I know that. That's why I specified in the original post that it was visible light. My statement remains true whether the body emits infrared light or not. Objects reflect light, not emit. Our bodies emit light.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:09:39 AM
So is my statement: objects reflect & emit light. Maybe not always in the visible spectrum, but it's there.
WOS
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:24:53 AM
I fail to see how this is proof that we are divine beings.

To paraphrase an earlier post; lamps emit light - are lamps divine beings?

But, regardless, it is interesting. I like how they show that the "glow" rises and falls based on our internal clocks, which is based off of our metabolic rates. I'm also interested in their melanin theory.

But, note that they never said it was visible to the naked eye: "Past research has shown that the body emits visible light, 1,000 times less intense than the levels to which our naked eyes are sensitive."

This means that it is so low that any chance of you seeing it without equipment is close to impossible. "Visible" yes, but not to our naked eye - we need tools to help see it.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:25:34 AM
At 7/23/2009 11:09:39 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
So is my statement: objects reflect & emit light. Maybe not always in the visible spectrum, but it's there.

First of all, I'll be the first person to tell you that our eyes can only detect a fraction of the EM spectrum. This is a point I constantly bring up myself. 95% of our Universe is dark matter.

The only way you would be correct is if photons were ubiquitous since you assert that everything emits light.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:37:00 AM
At 7/23/2009 11:24:53 AM, Volkov wrote:
I fail to see how this is proof that we are divine beings.

To paraphrase an earlier post; lamps emit light - are lamps divine beings?

I really wasn't entirely serious about that. Though I think the entire Universe is divine.

But, regardless, it is interesting. I like how they show that the "glow" rises and falls based on our internal clocks, which is based off of our metabolic rates. I'm also interested in their melanin theory.

But, note that they never said it was visible to the naked eye: "Past research has shown that the body emits visible light, 1,000 times less intense than the levels to which our naked eyes are sensitive."

This means that it is so low that any chance of you seeing it without equipment is close to impossible. "Visible" yes, but not to our naked eye - we need tools to help see it.

But the article said that the light we emit differs from invisible light (i.e. the infrared that we emit.) I believe this light is still found within the visible light segment of the EM spectrum.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:40:45 AM
At 7/23/2009 11:37:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
But the article said that the light we emit differs from invisible light (i.e. the infrared that we emit.) I believe this light is still found within the visible light segment of the EM spectrum.

It is, but it is too faint for us to see with our own eyes. We need tools to see it.

So it is within the visible spectrum, but too faint and maybe at the very edge of the visible spectrum. Either way - we need tools to see it.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:58:32 AM
At 7/23/2009 11:25:34 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

First of all, I'll be the first person to tell you that our eyes can only detect a fraction of the EM spectrum. This is a point I constantly bring up myself. 95% of our Universe is dark matter.

The only way you would be correct is if photons were ubiquitous since you assert that everything emits light.

I don't know what you mean about ubiquitous. As far as I know, one cannot differenciate 2 photons of the same frequency. And yes, 95% of the composition of the Universe is unknown.
WOS
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 3:49:01 PM

No, only around 25%. The rest is dark energy :).
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 3:50:05 PM
At 7/23/2009 3:49:01 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Er I meant 20%.

And yeah, just because the human body emits lights doesn't mean we are divine beings. That's such a non sequitor I can't believe it's even being considered.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 3:57:17 PM
For those of us who assume that man made god in his own image rather than the reverse, humans are indeed divine.

The human body glows if you set it on fire.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 11:52:36 PM
At 7/23/2009 4:05:48 PM, prov1s wrote:
At 7/23/2009 10:55:25 AM, Osiris wrote:
It also doesn't mean that we're NOT divine beings.

This is a double negative.

In this context it makes perfect sense. It would take on a whole different meaning if she were to say "It means we are divine beings." Because they implied that it doesn't mean we are divine beings, she asserted that it also doesn't mean that we are not divine beings. Nice try at being clever, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

At 7/23/2009 3:50:05 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Yes, my mistake. 95% dark matter & energy.

And yeah, just because the human body emits lights doesn't mean we are divine beings. That's such a non sequitor I can't believe it's even being considered.

Which is why I said I really wasn't serious, though it is a rather interesting discovery.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 8:42:32 AM
Yes, 95% dark matter/energy = 95% unknown.
WOS
prov1s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2009 5:28:04 PM
At 7/23/2009 11:52:36 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

In this context it makes perfect sense. It would take on a whole different meaning if she were to say "It means we are divine beings." Because they implied that it doesn't mean we are divine beings, she asserted that it also doesn't mean that we are not divine beings. Nice try at being clever, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

Which is why I said I really wasn't serious, though it is a rather interesting discovery.

Grammatically speaking, there isn't.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 12:48:02 AM
At 7/23/2009 9:50:36 AM, LB628 wrote:
Even if we emit light, this does not constitute proof that we are "divine beings". Are phosphorescent algae divine beings?

They are God. Evidently. Worship them!
So prove me wrong, then.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2009 11:18:20 AM
At 7/23/2009 11:52:36 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Regardless, All you are saying by stating that the Universe is "95% dark matter & energy" is that 95% of the Universe's composition is unknown.
WOS
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 6:32:18 AM
Matter does not emit light. It reflects light. That's why you only see color when a light is on. If the lights are off, everything turns black because nothing is reflecting light for the human eye to interpret as color."

It appears you are confused on what "light" is. Light is electromagnetic radiation which is made of photons, which happen to have wavelike properties so that we can characterize them by wavelength. "Light" is EM radiation that has a wavelength somewhere between 400-700nm which is what our eye is capable of detecting. So, you only see color when a light is on because of the limitations of your eye, not because of anything inherent to light.

But for example your body is emitting infrared radiation right now, you just can't see it because its wavelength is longer than your eyes are capable of detecting. In fact, it turns out pretty much everything emits electromagnetic radiation, just most of it isn't visible to your eye.

Read up on quantum electrodynamics should you want to know more about this, you will also learn that interesting enough the reflection of light is nothing like you think it is either. I would suggest "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard Feynman. It is written in an interesting manner (it is transcribed from lectures) and is fairly informal as far as the mathematical analysis such that it can be read by anyone.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 9:49:38 AM
Floid,

You are arguing semantics (visible light vs full em-spectrum.) There is UV light which is not visible to us but is still light. Similar to the IR light that is emitted by your body.

Then you make erroneous statements like: "Matter does not emit light." I guess LEDs, fireflies, and the sun aren't made of matter. Then you go on to say that everything does emit em radiation.
WOS
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 5:41:35 AM
You are arguing semantics (visible light vs full em-spectrum.) There is UV light which is not visible to us but is still light. Similar to the IR light that is emitted by your body.

I am arguing semantics because it appears the original poster is not versed in basic physics which led to an erroneous claim on their part. They claimed that the body emits light therefore we are divine beings, when clearly an understanding physics would lead to the conclusion that "the body emits light therefore it is made of matter" because all matter emits light.

Then you make erroneous statements like: "Matter does not emit light."

That was a quote from an earlier poster and not my statement. If you ready further down in my post I explain how and why matter emits light.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 5:55:42 AM
Actually I just realized I deleted the section on how and why matter emits light and instead gave a reference to a book.

The most basic synopsis would be : Matter emits light because charged particles interact through the exchange of protons (perhaps more specifically the vibration and change of electron energy levels creates photons or are caused by the absorption of photons).

And unfortunately that synopsis quickly begins approaching my understanding of the subject. But anyway, the main point being that you misunderstood the quotation of a previous post as being a statement of my own creation, which I definitely disagree with.

There is nothing divine about the fact that humans emit "light". It just indicates that we are made of the same material as everything else.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 6:38:03 AM
Floid,

Yes. You are totally right. I jumped the gun, my bad. It's that all this pseudo-intellectual & pseudo-scientific BS can get to me sometimes. Sorry :o)
WOS
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 9:31:59 PM
No, human bodies do not glow in the visible spectrum. If they did, it would show with night vision goggles, for example, and it does not. Night vision goggles can operate with starlight illumination. The human eye itself is so sensitive that the the dark-adapted eye can see the statistical fluctuation of photons, and even so, no human glow is ever observed.

However, if you pull some duct tape of the roll in a dark room, it makes an easily visible light. It is remarkably bright. This proves without doubt that while humans are not divine, duct tape is. That agrees with my experience.