Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Its getting hot in here!

Nik
Posts: 552
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 6:51:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Quick question.

how come if the average core body temperature is around 37, we still feel really hot and sweaty even unconfortable in hot 30 degree temperatures? we consider 30 degrees a hot day. How come? shouldn't we should still feel cold? its an almost lethal amount below our core temperature. AND we still sweat, homoeostasis kicks in to cool us down, why? The outside temp is still below our ideal internal temp. Our surface temperature still operates perfectly at the same temp as core temperature (to the best of my knowledge). Why is this????
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 7:21:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I believe that it is because our body is fixed to be at 98 F when the outside temperature is about 72 F. When the outside temperature is over 72 (or whatever), its normal function makes the body hotter than it should be by a few degrees. Our body compensates for this by sweating, etc.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2009 7:23:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/23/2009 6:51:31 PM, Nik wrote:
Quick question.

how come if the average core body temperature is around 37, we still feel really hot and sweaty even unconfortable in hot 30 degree temperatures?

average core body temperature
core body temperature

Your skin is not the core of your body.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 8:49:27 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Turn the AC on.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Nik
Posts: 552
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 6:13:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/23/2009 7:23:32 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 7/23/2009 6:51:31 PM, Nik wrote:
Quick question.

how come if the average core body temperature is around 37, we still feel really hot and sweaty even unconfortable in hot 30 degree temperatures?

average core body temperature
core body temperature

Your skin is not the core of your body.

Yeah, I know. Whats your point?
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 6:18:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 6:13:24 PM, Nik wrote:
Yeah, I know. Whats your point?

Are you drunk?

At 7/23/2009 6:51:31 PM, Nik wrote:
how come if the average core body temperature is around 37, we still feel really hot and sweaty even unconfortable in hot 30 degree temperatures? [...] AND we still sweat, homoeostasis kicks in to cool us down, why?

homeostasis

core body temperature is around 37

At 7/23/2009 7:23:32 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Your skin is not the core of your body.

core body temperature is around 37

Your skin is not the core of your body.

HOMEOSTASIS NO APPLY
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 6:19:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm still a little confused, Rezz. Why does it matter that my skin isn't the core of my body?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 6:46:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
To be sure I'm not completely down on any of this. I am going off of thise homeostasis approach. If the argument is that we shouldn't sweat at 30C because our core body temperature is 37C because the temp is approaching homeostasis, it is inconsistent because the temperature on our skin is not 37C.

Let's take a normal person - they are "hottest" in the center of their body, and cooler as we go to the extremities. If we heat up the extremities, I would think (and I say this because I don't know anything about biology) that the core would heat up as well - everything heats up proportionally. Therefore at higher environmental temperatures, the core body temperature is no longer ~37C and ergo we get fevers and sick and all that bad stuff.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 6:51:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I was kidding, Rezz. I gotchew.

Your approach makes plenty sense, and I don't know why Nik doesn't understand.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 6:55:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 6:46:06 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

Let's take a normal person - they are "hottest" in the center of their body, and cooler as we go to the extremities. If we heat up the extremities, I would think (and I say this because I don't know anything about biology) that the core would heat up as well - everything heats up proportionally.

Only if the heat is extreme and sustained. Mammals basically exist to maintain a constant internal temperature under all but the worst conditions (You are in the arctic or in a desert, and, if it's biology alone we're talking, you tend to have an easier time with the desert, as long as you keep drinking to power your "cooling mechanisms" and it's not the hottest desert on Earth).

Now if you're a reptile you're f***ed.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:01:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
But yes, a gradient does have to be maintained, given the conductive nature of heat. That's more physics than biology though-- you can't have 37 at the edge of your skin, 30 on the other side of that edge, and expect to sustain it.

Incidentally, you probably shouldn't feel that sweaty at 30 degrees celsius so much as you should feel sweaty if you are MOVING at 30 degrees celsius. The gradual shift in temperature should be easy to handle without it, if there isn't extra heat from the core that has to be dissipated.

But modern humans are very rarely sitting still at 30 degrees celsius, given air conditioning.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:02:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 6:56:35 PM, iamadragon wrote:
Are dragons reptiles?

Komodo dragons are.

Mythical dragons are basically a whole new classification you'd think-- they are scaly, but they have a heat management mechanism anyway.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:04:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 6:56:35 PM, iamadragon wrote:
Are dragons reptiles?

Dragons are misrepresentations of the Reptilian race.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:31:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 7:04:41 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/24/2009 6:56:35 PM, iamadragon wrote:
Are dragons reptiles?

Dragons are misrepresentations of the Reptilian race.

.
Take it to the religion forum.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:35:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 7:31:35 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/24/2009 7:04:41 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/24/2009 6:56:35 PM, iamadragon wrote:
Are dragons reptiles?

Dragons are misrepresentations of the Reptilian race.

.
Take it to the religion forum.

I hope this is a joke. Discussion concerning biological species belongs in the Science forum.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:38:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 7:35:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I hope this is a joke. Discussion concerning biological species belongs in the Science forum.

Reptillians aren't biological, because they're not real - or, at least, they're only a theory. Maybe R_R was inferring that it was a belief, not a scientific fact.

I don't know, but what I do know is that Reptillians would really hate this planet.
MTGandP
Posts: 702
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:38:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
As you may know, your body produces heat all the time. It radiates heat outward through your skin. If the outside temperature is too hot, you can't radiate heat fast enough, and your internal temperature increases.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:45:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 7:38:31 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/24/2009 7:35:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I hope this is a joke. Discussion concerning biological species belongs in the Science forum.

Reptillians aren't biological, because they're not real - or, at least, they're only a theory. Maybe R_R was inferring that it was a belief, not a scientific fact.

Theory is speculative. Reptilian existence is not a theory, but an assertion based on eye-witness evidence.

I don't know, but what I do know is that Reptillians would really hate this planet.

Which is why the majority of them live underground.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 7:51:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 7:45:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Theory is speculative. Reptilian existence is not a theory, but an assertion based on eye-witness evidence.

There is also eye-witness evidence that says Elvis is still alive. Hell, I think I've heard of Pierre Trudeau coming back to life once.

Which is why the majority of them live underground.

Unless you're saying that they live very deep underground, underground = cold. Closer to the mantle, and I can see your point.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 8:00:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 7:51:41 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/24/2009 7:45:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Theory is speculative. Reptilian existence is not a theory, but an assertion based on eye-witness evidence.

There is also eye-witness evidence that says Elvis is still alive. Hell, I think I've heard of Pierre Trudeau coming back to life once.

It would be easy to mistake someone for Elvis, but it would be rather unlikely for someone to mistake a person for a Reptilian. You know a Reptilian when you see one. The same can't be said for Elvis. Also, there are many people who have seen them. It's not like one person making a claim that isn't verified by others.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 8:04:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 8:00:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It would be easy to mistake someone for Elvis, but it would be rather unlikely for someone to mistake a person for a Reptilian. You know a Reptilian when you see one. The same can't be said for Elvis. Also, there are many people who have seen them. It's not like one person making a claim that isn't verified by others.

You know, there is tonnes of people that get murdered every day - including these people that others claim are "reptillians." Why haven't we seen a body? Why hasn't there been documented evidence, showing HRM Queen Elizabeth stepping out of her skin? Come on now. Any number of people could claim to see any number of things, and you'd just accept it as fact!?

But anyways, we're way off topic here.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 8:05:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Reptilians are not theory, but hypothesis.

Eyewitnesses mean absolutely zilch, except to the possessor of the relevant eyes. Anecdote is by definition not scientific evidence.

And if "many people" had seen them they would be on tape now.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Nik
Posts: 552
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 8:08:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 6:18:03 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 7/24/2009 6:13:24 PM, Nik wrote:
Yeah, I know. Whats your point?

Are you drunk?

At 7/23/2009 6:51:31 PM, Nik wrote:
how come if the average core body temperature is around 37, we still feel really hot and sweaty even unconfortable in hot 30 degree temperatures? [...] AND we still sweat, homoeostasis kicks in to cool us down, why?

homeostasis

core body temperature is around 37

At 7/23/2009 7:23:32 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Your skin is not the core of your body.

core body temperature is around 37

Your skin is not the core of your body.

HOMEOSTASIS NO APPLY

No im not drunk, but my point was that you said that the skin is not the core of your body, even though I never said it was. And what do you mean homeostasis no apply?

What I didnt understand was why the core body temp increaces over 37 degrees even though the ambient atmosphere temp is under 37 degrees. But I understand now.
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Nik
Posts: 552
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 8:11:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 7:38:43 PM, MTGandP wrote:
As you may know, your body produces heat all the time. It radiates heat outward through your skin. If the outside temperature is too hot, you can't radiate heat fast enough, and your internal temperature increases.

Thats the answer I was looking for, cheers mate, all is now clear!
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 8:40:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 8:04:03 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/24/2009 8:00:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It would be easy to mistake someone for Elvis, but it would be rather unlikely for someone to mistake a person for a Reptilian. You know a Reptilian when you see one. The same can't be said for Elvis. Also, there are many people who have seen them. It's not like one person making a claim that isn't verified by others.

You know, there is tonnes of people that get murdered every day - including these people that others claim are "reptillians." Why haven't we seen a body? Why hasn't there been documented evidence, showing HRM Queen Elizabeth stepping out of her skin?

That's because they are not literally Reptilian. They possess specific genes that allow Reptilians to possess their body, or rather use the body as a vehicle. Reptilians inhabit human bodies, the elites themselves are not Reptilian. That's something that really needed to be clarified.

Come on now. Any number of people could claim to see any number of things, and you'd just accept it as fact!?

No, but I wouldn't immediately dismiss it either.

At 7/24/2009 8:05:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Reptilians are not theory, but hypothesis.

Eyewitnesses mean absolutely zilch, except to the possessor of the relevant eyes. Anecdote is by definition not scientific evidence.

And if "many people" had seen them they would be on tape now.

It is not anecdotal. Anecdote is hearsay.

Direct Evidence: "testimony/other proof which expressly or straight-forwardly proves the existence of a fact. Direct evidence is evidence which, if believed, proves the existence of the fact in issue without inference or presumption. It is evidence which comes from one who speaks directly of his or her own knowledge on the main or ultimate fact to be proved, or who saw or heard the factual matters which are the subject of the testimony."

People who qualify as direct evidence are Arizona Wilder, Cathy O'Brien, Credo Mutwa, Thomas Sheppard, and others.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 9:24:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 8:05:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Reptilians are not theory, but hypothesis.

Eyewitnesses mean absolutely zilch, except to the possessor of the relevant eyes. Anecdote is by definition not scientific evidence.

And if "many people" had seen them they would be on tape now.

It is not anecdotal. Anecdote is hearsay.
YOU heard that SOMEONE ELSE SAYS they saw it. Your relaying that to us is hearsay, but no, that is not what anecdote means. Anecdote is inducting from randomly reported cases.


Direct Evidence: "testimony/other proof which expressly or straight-forwardly proves the existence of a fact. Direct evidence is evidence which, if believed, proves the existence of the fact in issue without inference or presumption. It is evidence which comes from one who speaks directly of his or her own knowledge on the main or ultimate fact to be proved, or who saw or heard the factual matters which are the subject of the testimony."

People who qualify as direct evidence are Arizona Wilder, Cathy O'Brien, Credo Mutwa, Thomas Sheppard, and others
Why the f*** would I believe those random people I never heard of?
They can be stupid or hallucinating or attention-seeking or have some other motive for lying. I have no means of distinguishing which.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2009 9:33:50 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 9:24:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/24/2009 8:05:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Direct Evidence: "testimony/other proof which expressly or straight-forwardly proves the existence of a fact. Direct evidence is evidence which, if believed, proves the existence of the fact in issue without inference or presumption. It is evidence which comes from one who speaks directly of his or her own knowledge on the main or ultimate fact to be proved, or who saw or heard the factual matters which are the subject of the testimony."

People who qualify as direct evidence are Arizona Wilder, Cathy O'Brien, Credo Mutwa, Thomas Sheppard, and others

Why the f*** would I believe those random people I never heard of?
They can be stupid or hallucinating or attention-seeking or have some other motive for lying. I have no means of distinguishing which.

Arizona Wilder was a mind control slave of Joseph Mengele and a victim in elite rituals. Cathy O'Brien was a victim of MK-Ultra CIA mind control experiments and a sex slave to Bush Sr. and Hilary Clinton. Thomas Sheppard was in the Navy and saw top secret documents with photos of Reptilians.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2009 4:38:35 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 9:33:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Arizona Wilder was a mind control slave of Joseph Mengele and a victim in elite rituals. Cathy O'Brien was a victim of MK-Ultra CIA mind control experiments and a sex slave to Bush Sr. and Hilary Clinton. Thomas Sheppard was in the Navy and saw top secret documents with photos of Reptilians.

You know Mengele was a serial killer, and that Wilder was easily duped into his path, right? It isn't necessarily "mind control" - it is people that are so weak-willed, they'll do anything to please people they want attention from.

I'll give you the fact that the US army has in the past experimented with suggestive techniques, but the "sex slave" stuff is stupid. She clearly said that to get attention from people, because if it were real then she wouldn't be alive. Why would the CIA and two top government officials let something leak like that? Really?
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2009 7:15:40 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/24/2009 9:24:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/24/2009 8:05:37 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Reptilians are not theory, but hypothesis.

Eyewitnesses mean absolutely zilch, except to the possessor of the relevant eyes. Anecdote is by definition not scientific evidence.

And if "many people" had seen them they would be on tape now.

It is not anecdotal. Anecdote is hearsay.
YOU heard that SOMEONE ELSE SAYS they saw it. Your relaying that to us is hearsay, but no, that is not what anecdote means. Anecdote is inducting from randomly reported cases.


Direct Evidence: "testimony/other proof which expressly or straight-forwardly proves the existence of a fact. Direct evidence is evidence which, if believed, proves the existence of the fact in issue without inference or presumption. It is evidence which comes from one who speaks directly of his or her own knowledge on the main or ultimate fact to be proved, or who saw or heard the factual matters which are the subject of the testimony."

People who qualify as direct evidence are Arizona Wilder, Cathy O'Brien, Credo Mutwa, Thomas Sheppard, and others
Why the f*** would I believe those random people I never heard of?
They can be stupid or hallucinating or attention-seeking or have some other motive for lying. I have no means of distinguishing which.

I'm gonna give you a friendly warning NOT to keep posting expletives: putting a couple of ** in them DOESN'T stop us having to see the intended word.
Next one I see I'll report them ALL.

Matthew12:36
BUT
I say to you that for
EVERY
idle word that men may speak, they
WILL
give an account of it on judgement day.
The Cross.. the Cross.