Total Posts:57|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Who here is a young earth creationist?

MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 11:36:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just rounding up names.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Thaumaturgy
Posts: 166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 12:41:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For those that are YEC, can I ask what is most compelling about YEC vs the far more common sense approach of "deep time"?

(I say "common sense" because all one needs do is drive through a road cut with a major shale formation. That indicates that it took a long time to deposit (small mineral grains), had to happen in a very low energy environment (again, hard to deposit small clay mineral grains in turbulent water and also many shale formations are black because of carbon which had to be sequestered in an anoxic environment), and sometimes they can be tens and tens of feet thick and that's just one formation. On top of it you may have a giant sandstone formation showing dramatically different depositional environment and maybe below all that are beds upon beds upon beds of rock that were laid down, solidified into rock, TILTED, eroded flat and the other beds laid on top of all that. All this looks like it would take a LOT of time just from a "common sense" standpoint. And that doesnt' even scratch the surface of other examples or even radiometric dating topics).
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 12:45:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 12:29:15 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
I am a Young Earth Creationist.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 7:11:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd love to debate scientific/historical evidence for YEC. There is too much historical and scientific evidence to take YEC seriously.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 7:31:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 11:36:41 AM, MouthWash wrote:
Just rounding up names.

Why? Just curious.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 7:34:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.

Or another possible answer: it only appears that the stars are that far away or that the speed of light is constant.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 7:35:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.

Ah yes, I forgot the third assumption: Light originates from a source.

Are you not willing to accept that?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 7:37:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 7:35:32 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.

Ah yes, I forgot the third assumption: Light originates from a source.

Are you not willing to accept that?

I'm perfectly willing to accept that. I'm not a YEC.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 7:44:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 7:34:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.

Or another possible answer: it only appears that the stars are that far away or that the speed of light is constant.

So then everything we know about gravity, astronomy, and classical/quantum physics is wrong, and the results we obtain are purposeful deceptions in order to claim that EVERY STAR IN THE SKY and the SOLAR SYSTEM orbiting it, is clustered within 10,000 lightyears of earth without effecting it's orbit through gravitational pull.

Makes Luddites seem like quantum physicists.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 8:29:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 7:44:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:34:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.

Or another possible answer: it only appears that the stars are that far away or that the speed of light is constant.

So then everything we know about gravity, astronomy, and classical/quantum physics is wrong, and the results we obtain are purposeful deceptions in order to claim that EVERY STAR IN THE SKY and the SOLAR SYSTEM orbiting it, is clustered within 10,000 lightyears of earth without effecting it's orbit through gravitational pull.

Makes Luddites seem like quantum physicists.

Off-topic: Is "quantum physicist" a term that is used?
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 8:32:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 8:29:54 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:44:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:34:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.

Or another possible answer: it only appears that the stars are that far away or that the speed of light is constant.

So then everything we know about gravity, astronomy, and classical/quantum physics is wrong, and the results we obtain are purposeful deceptions in order to claim that EVERY STAR IN THE SKY and the SOLAR SYSTEM orbiting it, is clustered within 10,000 lightyears of earth without effecting it's orbit through gravitational pull.

Makes Luddites seem like quantum physicists.

Off-topic: Is "quantum physicist" a term that is used?

I'm not trying to be petty, that actually sparked my curiosity. I just assumed theoretical physicists were expected to be knowledgeable in that department, but I didn't think that "quantum physicist" was actually a term that people used to any significant degree.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 8:59:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 8:29:54 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:44:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:34:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.

Or another possible answer: it only appears that the stars are that far away or that the speed of light is constant.

So then everything we know about gravity, astronomy, and classical/quantum physics is wrong, and the results we obtain are purposeful deceptions in order to claim that EVERY STAR IN THE SKY and the SOLAR SYSTEM orbiting it, is clustered within 10,000 lightyears of earth without effecting it's orbit through gravitational pull.

Makes Luddites seem like quantum physicists.

Off-topic: Is "quantum physicist" a term that is used?

A bit, just not too much.

http://www.sciencedaily.com...
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 9:00:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 8:59:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/3/2012 8:29:54 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:44:39 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:34:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:10 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:26:38 PM, Wnope wrote:
How can someone simultaneously be a Young Earth Creationist while believing the speed of light is constant and we can detect light from stars that are over 10,000 lightyears away?

It was created in transit.

Or another possible answer: it only appears that the stars are that far away or that the speed of light is constant.

So then everything we know about gravity, astronomy, and classical/quantum physics is wrong, and the results we obtain are purposeful deceptions in order to claim that EVERY STAR IN THE SKY and the SOLAR SYSTEM orbiting it, is clustered within 10,000 lightyears of earth without effecting it's orbit through gravitational pull.

Makes Luddites seem like quantum physicists.

Off-topic: Is "quantum physicist" a term that is used?

A bit, just not too much.

http://www.sciencedaily.com...

Interesting, thanks.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 9:05:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 7:31:38 PM, popculturepooka wrote
Why? Just curious.

To know who I should take seriously scientifically and who I should not. Why else? To put them in gas chambers?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:02:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 9:05:50 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:38 PM, popculturepooka wrote
Why? Just curious.

To know who I should take seriously scientifically and who I should not.

Ah, I see.

Because someone has a unpopular, and discouraged opinion, you won't take them seriously, or even bother to just check their facts.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:17:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I can be both. I agree with the Bible not interpretations. I interpret myself. Gen1:2 without form and void. Two other places this appears in the Bible-formless and void-both are judgements. I think Gen1:2 are judgements from previous inhabintants of the earth and after that God restored the earth. It talks of Lucifer and various kings as though the are men and not men. I think Satand-Lucifer was ruler here on earth and rebelled 1/3 of the angels against God and his earthy throne was destroyed. After such God created man in his image and why satan is so hateful and evil towards man and God.
TheAsylum
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:24:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 7:11:36 PM, Microsuck wrote:
I'd love to debate scientific/historical evidence for YEC. There is too much historical and scientific evidence to take YEC seriously.

That's actually not true. God created Adam and Eve as fully-functioning adults though only being a few seconds old. Jesus changed water into aged wine. There is precedent for the position that God created the universe with the appearance of age. If you use purely naturalistic means to judge the age of the universe, it would have seemed to take a very long time (approx. 13.7 billion years), but God created it in a short period of time, six days.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:36:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:02:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/3/2012 9:05:50 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:38 PM, popculturepooka wrote
Why? Just curious.

To know who I should take seriously scientifically and who I should not.

Ah, I see.

Because someone has a unpopular, and discouraged opinion, you won't take them seriously, or even bother to just check their facts.

I assume a lecture on the merits of phrenology sounds appealing to you.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:40:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 6:24:02 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:11:36 PM, Microsuck wrote:
I'd love to debate scientific/historical evidence for YEC. There is too much historical and scientific evidence to take YEC seriously.

That's actually not true. God created Adam and Eve as fully-functioning adults though only being a few seconds old. Jesus changed water into aged wine. There is precedent for the position that God created the universe with the appearance of age. If you use purely naturalistic means to judge the age of the universe, it would have seemed to take a very long time (approx. 13.7 billion years), but God created it in a short period of time, six days.

I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about when he mentions historical and scientific evidence.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:41:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 6:36:56 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:02:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/3/2012 9:05:50 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:38 PM, popculturepooka wrote
Why? Just curious.

To know who I should take seriously scientifically and who I should not.

Ah, I see.

Because someone has a unpopular, and discouraged opinion, you won't take them seriously, or even bother to just check their facts.

I assume a lecture on the merits of phrenology sounds appealing to you.

That was mean...

...but funny.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:46:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 6:41:48 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 6/4/2012 6:36:56 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:02:59 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/3/2012 9:05:50 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/3/2012 7:31:38 PM, popculturepooka wrote
Why? Just curious.

To know who I should take seriously scientifically and who I should not.

Ah, I see.

Because someone has a unpopular, and discouraged opinion, you won't take them seriously, or even bother to just check their facts.

I assume a lecture on the merits of phrenology sounds appealing to you.

That was mean...







...but funny.

That's my wheelhouse.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Platypus666
Posts: 262
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:49:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/3/2012 12:44:28 PM, drafterman wrote:
I'm a Last Thusdayist.
NEVER LOGGING IN UNLESS I AM HIGH

Official "The (Weed) Aquatic (Weed) and (Weed) Egg (Weed) Laying (Weed) Mammalian (Weed) Enforceress (Weed) of (Weed) Liberty (Weed), Cuddliness (Weed), and (Weed) Involuntary (Weed) Administration (Weed) of (POT) Psychoactive (Weed) Substances (Weed) To (Weed) All (Weed) The (Weed) Masses (Weed) Under (Weed?) The (Weed!) Control (Weed) of (Weed) The (Weed) All (Weed) High (Weed) FREEDO (Weed) and (Weed) Yyyyyyyyyyyyeah (WEED)" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:52:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Old Earth. But largely agnostic on the matter.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"