Jump to topic:

Funny Debate

JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 2:51:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
So I was sticking my finger in a processor fan at work and thought up this funny debate:

Resolution: The inner area and outer area of a fan blade move at the same speed when the fan is in motion.

Argument:

Measured in mph with a standard r*t=d calculation, the relative parts do not move at the same speed. BUT, measured in some other standard, they DO. For example, since points on the inner and outer areas of a fan are in a linear relation to each other, they travel at the same speed measured in degrees per second, thus fulfilling the resolution.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2009 3:51:40 PM
interesting idea. I'm no rocket surgeon, but is it called centripetal force when the outer point has to move faster than the inner point?
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 5:17:36 AM
Well, you are right. In physics such a problem is solved using the idea angular velocity which measures the velocity in degrees or radians per second. So in your example, all points on the fan blade have equal angular velocity. Using this technique simplifies the measurement and calculation of angular momentum, centripital force, etc.

So it isn't really debatable that there is a frame of reference for measuring the velocity around a fixed axis which all points on a radial line of circular motion have equal velocity in that frame of reference.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 6:13:56 PM
Right to all above... but if you successfully argue that traversing a set number of degrees is a "distance" - as in, if I cover 30 degrees relative that lamp 3 meters away - then you can make a relative sort of rt=d calculation.... I dunno - it was just a funny little thought.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2009 6:36:31 PM
At 8/18/2009 11:23:22 AM, Harlan wrote:
But speed is a measurement of time and distance, right? Not time and degrees, or how ever you would phrase it.

What about angular velocity? That is radians/second.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5