Where Global Warming Really Came From

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 9:51:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 2:23:54 PM, stubs wrote:

That is the most blatant misrepresentation I have ever encountered. Talk about indoctrination!
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 12:38:41 PM
At 6/27/2012 9:51:44 AM, Gileandos wrote:

That is the most blatant misrepresentation I have ever encountered. Talk about indoctrination!

And how!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 8:40:15 PM

Kid cartoons have always had adult humor and political agenda. I do remember one episode of Spongebob Squarepants where Patrick said "Puff out your chest and say 'Tax exemption'!"

I didn't mind it as a kid, I don't see why you are vitriolic about it. Informing the young about a global phenomenon that is obvious to all doesn't seem to bad. On the contrary, it seems beneficial. You have no idea how ignorant it is to see a 16-year old kid driving a beefed-up F-350 diesel truck with huge swamp tires and to hear him say that the truck is his 'daily driver'.

By then, I hope my children will not have to suffer the tyranny of oil. Nevertheless, sometimes I do feel like they stretch it too far with the newer Spongebob cartoon episodes.
turn down for h'what
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 9:03:10 AM
At 6/27/2012 8:40:15 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

Kid cartoons have always had adult humor and political agenda.
You must be young...indeed you are! Ever heard of Looney Toons, Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, He Man, Transformers, etc. Political agendas and indoctrination there? Don't think so.

I do remember one episode of Spongebob Squarepants where Patrick said "Puff out your chest and say 'Tax exemption'!"
Well that's the point: Spongebob has a strong political agenda!

I didn't mind it as a kid, I don't see why you are vitriolic about it.
That's the WHOLE point: you feed this to kids who "don't mind" and they become indoctrinated.

Informing the young about a global phenomenon that is obvious to all doesn't seem to bad.
It is when it is presented to the young from a completely one-sided ideological point of view. Indoctrination is indoctrination whether it be for supposed "good" reasons or not.

On the contrary, it seems beneficial. You have no idea how ignorant it is to see a 16-year old kid driving a beefed-up F-350 diesel truck with huge swamp tires and to hear him say that the truck is his 'daily driver'.
I don't know how ignorant that might be, but it is INFINITELY more ignorant for a 16 year old kid to be watching and learning "environmentalism" from Spongebob!

By then, I hope my children will not have to suffer the tyranny of oil.
(Face palm!)

Nevertheless, sometimes I do feel like they stretch it too far with the newer Spongebob cartoon episodes.
Is there a glimmer of hope here?
WOS
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 9:05:32 AM

People often speak much about things they do not understand. Be that was is may. Global warming is real.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 8:40:36 AM
At 6/28/2012 9:05:32 AM, inferno wrote:

People often speak much about things they do not understand. Be that was is may. Global warming is real.
1) Who said anything about GW not being real?
2) Global Warming and what the carton portrays are 2 totally different things.
WOS
Thaumaturgy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:16:16 PM
At 6/29/2012 8:40:36 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
2) Global Warming and what the carton portrays are 2 totally different things.

Actually I kind of agree. Spongebob lives underwater, so pumping a lot of CO2 into his "atmosphere" will probably immediately result in a signicant drop in pH in his immediate area. That will be very bad on the reef builders in Bikini Bottom.

Spongebob is not known for his intellect and apparently Mr Crabs isn't either.

There are times when the cartoonists forget about the "setting" of their characters. They could have introduced kids to the concept of CO2 solution chemistry and the Revelle Factor, but they missed the opportunity.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 10:31:24 AM
At 6/29/2012 1:16:16 PM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
Actually I kind of agree. Spongebob lives underwater, so pumping a lot of CO2 into his "atmosphere" will probably immediately result in a signicant drop in pH in his immediate area. That will be very bad on the reef builders in Bikini Bottom.

Spongebob is not known for his intellect and apparently Mr Crabs isn't either.

There are times when the cartoonists forget about the "setting" of their characters. They could have introduced kids to the concept of CO2 solution chemistry and the Revelle Factor, but they missed the opportunity.

Or...they could just let kids be kids!
WOS
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 7:51:12 AM
At 6/28/2012 9:03:10 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 6/27/2012 8:40:15 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

Kid cartoons have always had adult humor and political agenda.
You must be young...indeed you are! Ever heard of Looney Toons, Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, He Man, Transformers, etc. Political agendas and indoctrination there? Don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I do remember one episode of Spongebob Squarepants where Patrick said "Puff out your chest and say 'Tax exemption'!"

So having a character say "tax exemption" is a political agenda? You obviously don't even know what the episode was about. It was an episode about not being a baby and being an adult.

I didn't mind it as a kid, I don't see why you are vitriolic about it.
That's the WHOLE point: you feed this to kids who "don't mind" and they become indoctrinated.

Informing the young about a global phenomenon that is obvious to all doesn't seem to bad.
It is when it is presented to the young from a completely one-sided ideological point of view. Indoctrination is indoctrination whether it be for supposed "good" reasons or not.

On the contrary, it seems beneficial. You have no idea how ignorant it is to see a 16-year old kid driving a beefed-up F-350 diesel truck with huge swamp tires and to hear him say that the truck is his 'daily driver'.
I don't know how ignorant that might be, but it is INFINITELY more ignorant for a 16 year old kid to be watching and learning "environmentalism" from Spongebob!

If a 16 year old is "learning" anything from Spongebob, that is not Spongebob's fault, and the fault of the parents and local schools.

I'm somewhat surprised that no one has brought up that this is not an actual episode, but something that was created just for the internet. You'll never see it on Nick.

So your kids won't see it without intentionally getting it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 9:34:10 AM
At 7/3/2012 7:51:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Yes, because this was geared towards children. Right. And it's also a good example of a typical Disney, Hanna Barbera, Warner Bros., Hasbro, etc. cartoon. Right. Or maybe not.

So having a character say "tax exemption" is a political agenda? You obviously don't even know what the episode was about. It was an episode about not being a baby and being an adult.
1) You obviously never heard of the term "totality of the circumstance."
2) It was Aaronroy that cited this as an example of "Kid cartoons have always had adult humor and political agenda," not I.

If a 16 year old is "learning" anything from Spongebob, that is not Spongebob's fault, and the fault of the parents and local schools.
Obviously, as I did not say otherwise.

I'm somewhat surprised that no one has brought up that this is not an actual episode, but something that was created just for the internet. You'll never see it on Nick.
1) Does that make a difference?
2) Do you know for a fact that this has never aired on Nickelodeon?

As opposed to what, unintentionally getting it? What's the difference between kids "intentionally" watching Spongebob on Nickelodeon or "intentionally" going on the internet an watching it there? This episode is part of a Nickelodeon green campaign which they OBVIOUSLY mention on their channel(s).
http://www.biggreenhelp.com...#

At 7/2/2012 8:41:21 PM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
At 7/2/2012 10:31:24 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Got something against teaching kid science?
Of course not, that's why I criticized Spogebob; they ain't teachin' science! But apparently, you feel the same way as I do: "Spongebob is not known for his intellect and apparently Mr Crabs isn't either."
WOS
Thaumaturgy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 4:07:18 PM
At 7/3/2012 9:34:10 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Of course not, that's why I criticized Spogebob

No this was in response to my point that they could have taught science by discussing the real issues of CO2+H2O reactions. And you responded that

they ain't teachin' science! But apparently, you feel the same way as I do

That's why I said what I said but you responded with:

Which indicates that you don't even want them teaching science to the kids.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 5:16:03 PM
At 7/3/2012 4:07:18 PM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
Of course not, that's why I criticized Spogebob

No this was in response to my point that they could have taught science by discussing the real issues of CO2+H2O reactions.

they ain't teachin' science! But apparently, you feel the same way as I do

That's why I said what I said but you responded with:

So this seems to be a misunderstanding...although I am still rather skeptical of your motives here. My comments of "let kids be kids" is my opinion that Spongebob SHOULD concentrate on the entertainment of children rather than their indoctrination with bad science.

Which indicates that you don't even want them teaching science to the kids.
Obviously. I thought it rather clear that one should not be getting "scientific advice" from Spongebob.
WOS
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 10:29:51 PM
At 7/3/2012 7:51:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Yes, because this was geared towards children. Right. And it's also a good example of a typical Disney, Hanna Barbera, Warner Bros., Hasbro, etc. cartoon. Right. Or maybe not.

Do you really need a list of examples?

1) Most cartoons try to input humor that makes the show fun (or at least fun~ish for the parents, since they know that they often have to sit and listen to them too).

2) Many adults find humor in political, economic, or sexual topics (see attached youtube video).

1) You obviously never heard of the term "totality of the circumstance."

And your only legit example was one that did not make it into a season and was a special not made for TV. Yeah, "totality of the circumstance."

2) It was Aaronroy that cited this as an example of "Kid cartoons have always had adult humor and political agenda," not I.

You just agreed with it (or appeared to, if you did not, then I apologize), and I did not want to make too many posts.

Obviously, as I did not say otherwise.

1) Does that make a difference?

Yes, as you said, "totality of the circumstance."

2) Do you know for a fact that this has never aired on Nickelodeon?

http://spongebob.wikia.com...

"It is distributed by StopGlobalWarming.org and Frederator Studios. It appeared in Earth to America, which debuted on TBS on June 30, 2005. It was released online on February 7, 2006. Its title is based on the 1966 film, The Endless Summer. The short can be seen in QuickTime format on the site, and was also featured in The Nicktoons Network Animation Festival in August 2005."

If you turn on Spongebob in the afternoon on Nick, there is a 0% chance this episode will be on (since it isn't an episode, it is a short).

As opposed to what, unintentionally getting it? What's the difference between kids "intentionally" watching Spongebob on Nickelodeon or "intentionally" going on the internet an watching it there?

Yes, "unintentionally" means you just turned on the channel for the show, without knowing what episodes would be up.

"Intentionally" means you go looking for this particular episode. And it does make a difference.

This episode is part of a Nickelodeon green campaign which they OBVIOUSLY mention on their channel(s).
http://www.biggreenhelp.com...#

Actually, it was stopglobalwarming.com (which was mentioned at the end of the short). I challenge you to even find it on biggreenhelp.com
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 11:28:43 PM
At 7/3/2012 11:11:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Lol, there is a ton of blatant material that shows Spongebob is homosexual.

And with all those holes, you know he isn't a pitcher.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2012 11:50:06 PM
At 7/3/2012 11:28:43 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaha
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 12:06:11 AM
At 7/3/2012 11:50:06 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/3/2012 11:28:43 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaha

If you manage to make FREEDO laugh, you must be doing something right (or illegal).