Jump to topic:

Nikola Tesla and Oatmeal

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 4:50:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I noticed that there were no threads in this forum dedicated to this incredible man. I also notice that not one here ever mentions The Oatmeal.

Thus, my gift to you: I present a short summation of them both:http://theoatmeal.com...
Thaumaturgy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 5:36:04 PM
At 7/4/2012 4:50:29 PM, Ren wrote:
I noticed that there were no threads in this forum dedicated to this incredible man. I also notice that not one here ever mentions The Oatmeal.

Thus, my gift to you: I present a short summation of them both:http://theoatmeal.com...

I just started reading a bio of Nikola Tesla and one of the catalysts to get me reading this was this very oatmeal comic strip! I had been thinking about reading a bio of Tesla and when I saw the comic strip I "pulled the trigger" on it and got one!

What a cool guy!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 6:37:13 PM

Read it. Awesome post. The Oatmeal has also (at least for now) prevailed against a ludicrous lawsuit instigated by some other humor site (one of those sites that just steals other's content), so it's all roses for him at the moment
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 5:33:40 AM
At 7/4/2012 5:37:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Yeah, Tesla is probably the one of the baddest of asses ever born of our species.

That's a presumptive fallacy Cody, no way Tesla was from this species, don't know what planet exactly, but he didn't come from anywhere around here.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Thaumaturgy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 8:44:24 AM
At 7/5/2012 5:33:40 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 7/4/2012 5:37:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Yeah, Tesla is probably the one of the baddest of asses ever born of our species.

That's a presumptive fallacy Cody, no way Tesla was from this species, don't know what planet exactly, but he didn't come from anywhere around here.

^^^Quoted for Truth^^^^
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 10:46:41 AM
Didn't help that he was nuts.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 12:37:25 PM
At 7/4/2012 5:36:04 PM, Thaumaturgy wrote:

I just started reading a bio of Nikola Tesla and one of the catalysts to get me reading this was this very oatmeal comic strip! I had been thinking about reading a bio of Tesla and when I saw the comic strip I "pulled the trigger" on it and got one!

What a cool guy!

OMFGIsn'the?!

He is truly one of the most impressive people I have ever heard of.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 12:40:09 PM
At 7/4/2012 6:37:13 PM, drafterman wrote:

Read it. Awesome post. The Oatmeal has also (at least for now) prevailed against a ludicrous lawsuit instigated by some other humor site (one of those sites that just steals other's content), so it's all roses for him at the moment

Lol, nice! Glad to hear it -- that guy is way too awesome to be sued. Jealous biitches. He also made a comic about SOPA that made it onto CNN recently. ^_^

That's funny, I wonder whether he considers himself a cartoonist.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 12:41:59 PM
At 7/5/2012 12:40:09 PM, Ren wrote:

Lol, nice! Glad to hear it -- that guy is way too awesome to be sued. Jealous biitches. He also made a comic about SOPA that made it onto CNN recently. ^_^

...well, not that he's not (he clearly is), but given he seems to make his living from developing and designing, but he's practically becoming famous from being a cartoonist.

Talk about an overachiever. :3
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 12:47:20 PM
At 7/5/2012 12:07:23 PM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
At 7/5/2012 10:46:41 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:

Who knows? maybe that pigeon was actually his friend!

Lol, that's sooo weeirrd.

He was probably cynical about the emotional connection some people entertain (especially given that most people seem to ignore this, anyway). Thus, he equivocated his connection with the pigeon, who he longed for, who he considered the most beautiful of an entity he already appreciates (he said that he habitually fed pigeons for years), who he missed, and who brightened his day, with that sort of emotional connection that some men claim they develop with women, quantifying those feelings similarly.

So, perhaps he was just trying to be poetic, and it just came off as really strange, because he's celibate. So, to people who are like, "why in the hell would you ever forego sex," they automatically begin to question, "not... not bestiality..?"

Or, maybe he was just that strange.

Kind of makes you wonder why that strange would intermingle with an intellect that can solve entire physics equations using given, actual quantities, in his head.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 1:33:28 PM
At 7/5/2012 12:40:09 PM, Ren wrote:

It's been covered by a number of web pages, I think popehat as the most comprehensive coverage, found in reverse chronological order here:

http://www.popehat.com...
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 3:22:41 PM

Doubtful. Regardless, he was an extremely brilliant man. It's too bad that many of his ideas were never implemented. Much of it had to do with impracticality though. What is upsetting about Tesla is that he's been "hijacked" by many a conspiracy theorist and pseudo-scientist.
WOS
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 4:19:04 PM
At 7/5/2012 3:22:41 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

Doubtful. Regardless, he was an extremely brilliant man. It's too bad that many of his ideas were never implemented. Much of it had to do with impracticality though. What is upsetting about Tesla is that he's been "hijacked" by many a conspiracy theorist and pseudo-scientist.

Impracticality?

I don't see why everything needs a price tag on it. He was intent on giving the world a way to live without requiring tender and exploitation. People rejected the idea of such a world.

Shame. Disgusting shame.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 9:20:20 AM
At 7/5/2012 4:19:04 PM, Ren wrote:
At 7/5/2012 3:22:41 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

Impracticality?

I don't see why everything needs a price tag on it.
It's called reality. Everything DOES have a price tag. It is inherent in nature.

He was intent on giving the world a way to live without requiring tender and exploitation.
And paid the consequences for it too. He did exploit...he exploited himself! And treated himself quite poorly, I might add.

People rejected the idea of such a world.
Not all do, but many do. It's probably due to the fact that it is unnatural.

Shame. Disgusting shame.
For some, but not for others. Utopias are nice and beautiful, and just like perpetual motion, they don't exist.
WOS