Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Light traveling faster at the beginning???

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 10:52:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I heard a young earth creationist say that scientists are discovering evidence that light traveled faster at the beginning of the universe which is why it appears star-light suggests an old universe. This individual I know to be very intelligible and I respect him allot so I looked it up to see for myself. Anyways, I couldn't find any credible sources(only sites like yahooanswers), so I was wandering if there was any slightly compelling evidence out there to suggest this that anyone knows of? I doubt it, but I was just wandering.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 1:47:08 PM
At 7/7/2012 10:52:22 AM, phantom wrote:
I heard a young earth creationist say that scientists are discovering evidence that light traveled faster at the beginning of the universe which is why it appears star-light suggests an old universe. This individual I know to be very intelligible and I respect him allot so I looked it up to see for myself. Anyways, I couldn't find any credible sources(only sites like yahooanswers), so I was wandering if there was any slightly compelling evidence out there to suggest this that anyone knows of? I doubt it, but I was just wandering.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

It may not be the actual numbers that are constant, but instead, proportions:

"[An] important lesson we learn from the way that pure numbers like α define the world is what it really means for worlds to be different. The pure number we call the fine structure constant and denote by α is a combination of the electron charge, e, the speed of light, c, and Planck's constant, h. At first we might be tempted to think that a world in which the speed of light was slower would be a different world. But this would be a mistake. If c, h, and e were all changed so that the values they have in metric (or any other) units were different when we looked them up in our tables of physical constants, but the value of α remained the same, this new world would be observationally indistinguishable from our world. The only thing that counts in the definition of worlds are the values of the dimensionless constants of Nature. If all masses were doubled in value [including the Planck mass mP] you cannot tell because all the pure numbers defined by the ratios of any pair of masses are unchanged."[6]
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 3:16:50 PM

Perhaps he's referring to the inflationary epoch of the early universe and misinterpreting it, these young earth creationists tend to do that with the science they read. You could certainly make the case that during the inflationary epoch there was a lot of faster than light speed travel going on, and I suppose it wouldn't take too much creativity to fit inflationary theory into a young earth framework of thought. If you think it through, it actually fits the YEC model quite well.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 3:58:56 PM

It is a theory that is a replacement for Inflation. It states that in the start, light was faster than now, so the information between all mass could be spread out evenly (at least that's what I've heard). It's just a theory, though, and I don't see how it proves YEC-view.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 8:50:39 PM
At 7/7/2012 3:58:56 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

It is a theory that is a replacement for Inflation. It states that in the start, light was faster than now, so the information between all mass could be spread out evenly (at least that's what I've heard). It's just a theory, though, and I don't see how it proves YEC-view.

It's not supposed to prove YEC rather disprove and argument against YEC.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)