Total Posts:42|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Worst args. you heard for/against evolution?

1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 8:25:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here are some terrible arguments I have heard:

"If evolution exists why aren't we changing right now?"
"Monkeys have tails, we do not have tails, evolution is stupid"
"I have lived on earth for all this time and I have not evolved. Evolution does not exist"

What are some you guys have heard? Both for or against args are accepted.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 8:34:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've heard that "if evolution exists, why is Earth still a big rock?"
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 9:27:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"If we are evolving, why are there still monkeys, fish, amphibians, etc. that we came from supposedly?"
" The Sun is exploding outwards, people are dying everyday, and people's health declines over time. The height of your "evolution" will be a grave. They are going to make fertilizer out of you and everyone else. What about entropy laws and the Laws of Thermodynamics. Energy decreases over time and things naturally decay. How could we possibly be evolving with half life affecting you and other materials? Not to mention that man is still killing himself with war and famine and plague. You say, "Look at the technology." Why? We use it to have even more devastating wars by pushing buttons, and hacking codes and such like? Man is not evolving biologically or morally"

In this fail debate: http://www.debate.org...
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 9:31:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/7/2012 8:46:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:
If we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

And from a member, "Things don't just come about magically so that they can evolve. Evolution as an encompassing explanation for life is just too full of holes."
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 4:32:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
These are some of the worst arguments against evolution taken verbatim from fundamentalist websites.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 5:11:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"I can sum it up in 3 words: Evolution is a lie"
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 7:56:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/7/2012 8:25:14 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Here are some terrible arguments I have heard:

"If evolution exists why aren't we changing right now?"
"Monkeys have tails, we do not have tails, evolution is stupid"
"I have lived on earth for all this time and I have not evolved. Evolution does not exist"

What are some you guys have heard? Both for or against args are accepted.

I once saw a guy argue against evolution by stating that if evolution was true, then a jar of peanut butter would spontaneously produce living creatures and since he had never opened a jar of peanut butter and found a peanut butter creature rather than peanut butter, evolution could not be true.

I'm not making this up, the guy was serious and he continued to argue this line of reasoning for days.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 8:35:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 7:56:10 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 7/7/2012 8:25:14 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Here are some terrible arguments I have heard:

"If evolution exists why aren't we changing right now?"
"Monkeys have tails, we do not have tails, evolution is stupid"
"I have lived on earth for all this time and I have not evolved. Evolution does not exist"

What are some you guys have heard? Both for or against args are accepted.

I once saw a guy argue against evolution by stating that if evolution was true, then a jar of peanut butter would spontaneously produce living creatures and since he had never opened a jar of peanut butter and found a peanut butter creature rather than peanut butter, evolution could not be true.

I'm not making this up, the guy was serious and he continued to argue this line of reasoning for days.

I know you aren't joking. Here's the video:
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 9:04:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 8:35:00 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/8/2012 7:56:10 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 7/7/2012 8:25:14 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Here are some terrible arguments I have heard:

"If evolution exists why aren't we changing right now?"
"Monkeys have tails, we do not have tails, evolution is stupid"
"I have lived on earth for all this time and I have not evolved. Evolution does not exist"

What are some you guys have heard? Both for or against args are accepted.

I once saw a guy argue against evolution by stating that if evolution was true, then a jar of peanut butter would spontaneously produce living creatures and since he had never opened a jar of peanut butter and found a peanut butter creature rather than peanut butter, evolution could not be true.

I'm not making this up, the guy was serious and he continued to argue this line of reasoning for days.

I know you aren't joking. Here's the video:

How the hell is that even Evolution????
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 9:24:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/7/2012 8:25:14 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Here are some terrible arguments I have heard:

"If evolution exists why aren't we changing right now?"
"Monkeys have tails, we do not have tails, evolution is stupid"
"I have lived on earth for all this time and I have not evolved. Evolution does not exist"

What are some you guys have heard? Both for or against args are accepted.

"Evolution is only a theory" (GenesisCreation)
"There are no transitional fossils" (Matthew Slick, CARM; Henry Morris, ICR)
"If evolution exists what are we evolving into?" (Missing Universe Museum)
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 9:26:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
From the wise words of kohai-vs.-inferno:

"Your disbelief in God has already made you a candidate for anything that man can create. You are a sell out and idol worshipper. If I refuted your arguments it would not matter. Most of those who vote here are not
believers anyway. So your facts are irrelevent. Your logic is irrelevent. Your concepts and theories are all irrelevent and mean nothing to me. "
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 1:26:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 8:35:00 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/8/2012 7:56:10 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 7/7/2012 8:25:14 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Here are some terrible arguments I have heard:

"If evolution exists why aren't we changing right now?"
"Monkeys have tails, we do not have tails, evolution is stupid"
"I have lived on earth for all this time and I have not evolved. Evolution does not exist"

What are some you guys have heard? Both for or against args are accepted.

I once saw a guy argue against evolution by stating that if evolution was true, then a jar of peanut butter would spontaneously produce living creatures and since he had never opened a jar of peanut butter and found a peanut butter creature rather than peanut butter, evolution could not be true.

I'm not making this up, the guy was serious and he continued to argue this line of reasoning for days.

I know you aren't joking. Here's the video:

OMG, so this guy wasn't just making it up on his own, there are others that think this way...and they even made a video?

Wow.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 8:51:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Outlining the bad arguments vis a vis being bad isn't really a good way to resolve the issue. Perhaps spending effort refuting the ones that look respectable to people would prove a better use of time.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 10:54:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"The THEORY of evolution, hah! Evolution is only a theory!"
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:10:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"I want to see a dog turn into a bird like evolution claims happens. Whales are related to elephants and so forth. I want the elephant to grow gills not smaller tusks."
- ConservativePolitico
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:37:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I get the "only a theory" argument the most by far... Another argument is to attack the process of carbon dating as inaccurate.

At any rate, science has a pretty good idea of how evolution is currently working, it just has no idea how it started (;
Rob
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:04:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 11:37:07 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I get the "only a theory" argument the most by far... Another argument is to attack the process of carbon dating as inaccurate.

At any rate, science has a pretty good idea of how evolution is currently working, it just has no idea how it started (;

We're about half-way there in the study of early-Earth abiogenesis.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 9:05:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 2:04:18 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/8/2012 11:37:07 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I get the "only a theory" argument the most by far... Another argument is to attack the process of carbon dating as inaccurate.

At any rate, science has a pretty good idea of how evolution is currently working, it just has no idea how it started (;

We're about half-way there in the study of early-Earth abiogenesis.

We might be piecing together what the general events were but we have as of yet not the slightest clue what gives consciousness or even simple life its spark.
Rob
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 9:17:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/9/2012 9:05:03 AM, Lasagna wrote:
At 7/9/2012 2:04:18 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/8/2012 11:37:07 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I get the "only a theory" argument the most by far... Another argument is to attack the process of carbon dating as inaccurate.

At any rate, science has a pretty good idea of how evolution is currently working, it just has no idea how it started (;

We're about half-way there in the study of early-Earth abiogenesis.

We might be piecing together what the general events were but we have as of yet not the slightest clue what gives consciousness or even simple life its spark.

I think the biggest hurdle is disabusing ourselves of the notion that life has a "spark." The very language is prejudicial in terms of coloring the types of observations we are looking for.

A spark implies some singular, discrete "thing" that, with it, makes something "alive" and, without it, makes something not "alive."

If anything, the problems of even classifiying extant living organisms and cateogorizing them into species shows us that life does not abide by, or fit into, these discrete categories we arbitrarily invented. Life is a spectrum. The illusion of discrete categories is created by the absence of a great deal of that spectrum by way of extinct species. Today, we can point to a dog and a human and say they are different and draw a line. If all of the ancestors to modern dogs and modern humans were still alive, all the way back to whatever our common ancestor was, where would we draw the line?

Nature itself does not present any line, so we'd just have to draw one whereever we wanted based on issues of practicality. This applies to drawing the line between life and non-life. We're never going to find a "spark." None exists. All individual instances of life exist on a broad spectrum of living things with no concrete lines. Likewise, live and non-life exist in a broad spectrum of chemical interactions with no concrete lines.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 2:07:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think the stupidest argument is "atheists take evolution on faith, so it can't be trusted". This argument is really stupid for obvious reasons. However, even if this argument is proven correct, it just shows that the theist also should hold views on faith. it is a lose-lose argument for theists.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:09:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"The earth is 10000 years old GOT PUT the dinosaur bones to make it look older"
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:14:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The four worst that I have heard are:

"How did abiogenisis happen with evolution?"

"There isn't enough evidence for evolution."

"Why is a monkey not giving birth to a child?"

"Evolution is based on faith."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 8:13:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/14/2012 8:08:29 PM, unitedandy wrote:


The Fool: That is the most Funniest one!! lol
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 8:14:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: Its just Soooo Stupid!!.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
TheBossToss
Posts: 154
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 8:51:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Worst argument I've heard against evolution? Irreducible complexity. Don't even get me started on that one.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin