Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

It's hapning right before our eyes!

SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 7:38:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Evolution that is, it's nothing new.
http://www.cracked.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 10:58:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
These are simple adaptations and cannot be counted as "evolution".

No one is disputing the fact that animals can adapt - that's one of the pillars of life.

What we're looking for is evolution from one species into another. I want to see a dog turn into a bird like evolution claims happens. Whales are related to elephants and so forth. I want the elephant to grow gills not smaller tusks.

Some people don't understand which parts of evolution are highly contested and which aren't.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:04:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 10:58:07 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
These are simple adaptations and cannot be counted as "evolution".

No one is disputing the fact that animals can adapt - that's one of the pillars of life.

What we're looking for is evolution from one species into another. I want to see a dog turn into a bird like evolution claims happens. Whales are related to elephants and so forth. I want the elephant to grow gills not smaller tusks.

Some people don't understand which parts of evolution are highly contested and which aren't.

Dude, what do you think we'll look like 1 million years from now?? The only way to deny evolution is to deny the frame of time life on earth has existed.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 11:08:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 10:58:07 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
These are simple adaptations and cannot be counted as "evolution".

No one is disputing the fact that animals can adapt - that's one of the pillars of life.

What we're looking for is evolution from one species into another. I want to see a dog turn into a bird like evolution claims happens. Whales are related to elephants and so forth. I want the elephant to grow gills not smaller tusks.

Some people don't understand which parts of evolution are highly contested and which aren't.

http://media.tumblr.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 7:58:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 10:58:07 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
These are simple adaptations and cannot be counted as "evolution".

No one is disputing the fact that animals can adapt - that's one of the pillars of life.

What we're looking for is evolution from one species into another. I want to see a dog turn into a bird like evolution claims happens. Whales are related to elephants and so forth. I want the elephant to grow gills not smaller tusks.

Evolution does not claim that a dog turned into a bird, that is preposterous.

Some people don't understand which parts of evolution are highly contested and which aren't.

Yeah, especially if it's the part where a dog turns into a bird.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 8:25:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 10:58:07 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
These are simple adaptations and cannot be counted as "evolution".

No one is disputing the fact that animals can adapt - that's one of the pillars of life.

What we're looking for is evolution from one species into another. I want to see a dog turn into a bird like evolution claims happens. Whales are related to elephants and so forth. I want the elephant to grow gills not smaller tusks.

As sidewalker pointed out, this is not what evolution claims, so this is just a really sad strawman.

Evolution claims that a species will evolve into new species. The elephants 100,000 years from now will have adapted so much, that they are genetically different enough to be biologically a different species.

You may have 1 species that lives in 2 different environments. Over time, as each adapts to their respective environment, their genetic code will slowly get different and eventually, they will be far enough apart to where they are not the same species any more (ergo, 2 unique species that share a common ancestor). We haven't seen it because we've only been observing for a hundred years or so.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 8:48:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 10:58:07 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
These are simple adaptations and cannot be counted as "evolution".

Yes it can. Every time an organism reproduces, that is evolution.

"Biological evolution, simply put, is descent with modification."
http://evolution.berkeley.edu...

Just because it's not evolution in the capacity you demand to see it doesn't mean it isn't evolution.


No one is disputing the fact that animals can adapt - that's one of the pillars of life.

If, by "pillars of life," you mean what biologists commonly define as life, then no, it isn't. Life pertains to individual organisms, which do not evolve. We are required to "adapt" yes, but not in the sense of evolution. Rather, adaptaion in terms of what constitutes a living organism is merely a response to stimuli.


What we're looking for is evolution from one species into another.

Who cares what you are looking for? First, species have evolved from one to another.

http://www.talkorigins.org...

Second, even if this isn't what you're looking for, that doesn't make it not evolution. Evolution is more than just speciation.

I want to see a dog turn into a bird like evolution claims happens.

Evolution doesn't claim that.

Whales are related to elephants and so forth.

All organisms are related.

I want the elephant to grow gills not smaller tusks.

So what? Again, who cares what you want? Evolution does not confirm to your demands. It is interesting to note that, despite the vast convergant evolution of cetaceans when compared to aquatic non-mammals, they never did develop gills.


Some people don't understand which parts of evolution are highly contested and which aren't.

And some people don't understand what the fu ck they are talking about when it comes to evolution. Aside from "evolution from one species into another" nothing you said had anything to do with evolution.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 11:51:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/8/2012 10:58:07 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
What we're looking for is evolution from one species into another. I want to see a dog turn into a bird like evolution claims happens. Whales are related to elephants and so forth. I want the elephant to grow gills not smaller tusks.

Mutations occur randomly in different parts of the genetic code. If the mutations happens to occur in the part of the code affecting reproduction, then sometimes they will not be able to interbreed. The notion of the Creationists is that particular type of mutation cannot happen, whereas all other types of mutation can happen. That's a strange idea.

No theory of evolution ever claimed that dogs turn into birds or anything like that. Making that claim betrays ignorance of the subject. Don't ever make that claim if you want any credibility.

Two populations of the same species become separated, and their different environments produce different evolutionary paths. They will start out identical and diverge. Eventually, reproduction genetics will make them incompatible for breeding. Mutations are random, so how the two populations diverge is unpredictable.

One interesting example are "ring species" of plants. A population of plants starts at some point on a mountain slope. The species spreads around the mountain with different mutations in one direction than the other. By the time they get to the other side, they have evolved into different species.