Jump to topic:

Aliens

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:08:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Surprisingly, I haven't seen much talk of aliens on this site.

Do you believe in aliens? Why or why not?

Have you had any UFO sightings or strange experiences?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:30:02 PM
At 7/10/2012 10:08:04 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

No, because I think the beginning of life on Earth was an infinitesmally improbable event.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:31:16 PM
If I thought life could spontaneously emerge, then I think I would have to say, at the very least, that Aliens have existed.

Given the sheer scale of the universe, I don't think it really statistically probable that something could happen by chance once, and only once, in the course of billions of years.

That being said, the likelihood of two advanced civilizations existing at the same time would be greatly reduced. As technology grows, so does a civilization's ability to completely annihilate itself.

And, if two advanced civilizations did exist at the same time, our current scientific understanding would make it practically impossible for them to every cross paths.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:32:53 PM
I believe in aliens. It seems preposterous to say that in all the galaxies all the complex organisms exist all on one planet.

But who's to say their more advanced than us? Or they aren't here now? Have you seen the stuff that lives in the abysmal zone? Freaky. And I read that only 10% of the ocean floor has been explored. That leaves plenty of space for subterranean aliens to take refuge.
#BlackLivesMatter
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:33:24 PM
At 7/10/2012 10:30:02 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

No, because I think the beginning of life on Earth was an infinitesmally improbable event.

You don't think it likely that something that could happen around one star could possibly happen around any of the other 300 sextillion stars during the last 5 billion years?
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:36:09 PM
The weird question would be, what would aliens do(aliens capable of inter-galactic travel) if they found us?

They could be bloodthirsty and kill us.

They could be researchers and probe us.

They could be environmentalists and declare us endangered.

They could be practical jokesters which would explain why they only abduct hillbillies.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:39:52 PM
At 7/10/2012 10:36:09 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
The weird question would be, what would aliens do(aliens capable of inter-galactic travel) if they found us?

They could be bloodthirsty and kill us.

They could be researchers and probe us.

They could be environmentalists and declare us endangered.

They could be practical jokesters which would explain why they only abduct hillbillies.

I think that one. You don't get the technology to visit other solar systems by trying to murder everything you see.
#BlackLivesMatter
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:46:41 PM
At 7/10/2012 10:33:24 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

You don't think it likely that something that could happen around one star could possibly happen around any of the other 300 sextillion stars during the last 5 billion years?

I don't think it likely that this particular thing happened twice, no. That being said, neither of us have any way of measuring the actual probability because Earth supports the only known life anyway.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:51:49 PM
Given the size of the known universe, the odds point towards SOME aliens having existed at SOME time SOMEWHERE. MAYBE.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 10:54:43 PM
At 7/10/2012 10:51:49 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Given the size of the known universe, the odds point towards SOME aliens having existed at SOME time SOMEWHERE. MAYBE.

I'm sorry but what are you basing these odds on? You have nothing to calculate. The only life we know exists is on Earth. All we're doing is guessing.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:23:18 PM

Oh my gwd... a creationist!
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2012 11:38:09 PM
At 7/10/2012 10:54:43 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

I'm sorry but what are you basing these odds on? You have nothing to calculate. The only life we know exists is on Earth. All we're doing is guessing.

I am basing my assertion on the fact that the universe is massive beyond our comprehension, and it seems unlikely that life has only ever existed in one place. And by life, I don't mean things like us. It could be tiny, single cell organisms, but it would still be "life". And yeah, we are just guessing. How can I give a concrete answer if there is no concrete data?
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 2:10:54 AM

With any probability, as you increase the permutations toward infinity, you increase the likelihood toward 100%.

The bigger we find the universe to be, the greater the odds become.

Of course, I'm not so sure it's possible to have life spontaneously appear from inorganic material anyway.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 3:25:50 AM
No. I do not believe in aliens.

They are a conspiracy created by our government to take our precious tax dollars and spend them on "boarder fences".
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:04:36 AM

By Aliens I'll presume you mean intelligent beings, and my answer is yes.

My reasoning is along the lines of what others have already said, given the spatial and temporal vastness of the universe, I can't imagine it could have only happened once. The principles of physics and what we know about our own history tells me that the steady process of increasing complexity on billions and billions of other planets with similar conditions make it astoundingly unlikely that life only came about once. What we've observed about life once started is a steady progression towards greater complexity and more sentience that leads to conscious intelligent beings. I think we are special, but I can't imagine we are alone, it's way too unlikely.

No, but my conviction on this matter is reinforced by a neighbor of mine, he is completely inexplicable unless you consider that he is probably from another planet.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:17:04 AM
At 7/11/2012 7:04:36 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
No, but my conviction on this matter is reinforced by a neighbor of mine, he is completely inexplicable unless you consider that he is probably from another planet.

I get this feeling with my little sister every now and then.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:18:18 AM

No, although it depends on what you mean by aliens. I could believe that there is life outside of Earth, but I don't think that there is intelligent life outside of Earth.

No.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:24:58 AM
I think it is quite likely that there is other intelligent life in the universe based upon the probabilities. I doubt that aliens are visiting earth, because of the speed of light limitation on travel, but I won't say it's impossible.

I really doubt that Vegans have traveled 80,000 light years across the galaxy in order to stomp patterns in our corn fields.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:34:06 AM

This

And if the universe was infinite, though I doubt it, it would be almost inevitable.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:56:54 AM
Life is just a combination of elements put together in an order that allows for control over our body and consciousness. I don't see the challenge of organic life (elemtns and compounds) evolving from various combinations of non-living elements and compounds.

Furthermore, according to string theory, there are about 500 billion other UNIVERSES out there. The probability of at least one more advanced civilization is pretty high, if not 1.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:33:54 PM
At 7/10/2012 11:23:18 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Oh my gwd... a creationist!

I'm not a creationist. How did you even gather that from my opinion that life is improbable?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:34:51 PM
At 7/11/2012 2:10:54 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

With any probability, as you increase the permutations toward infinity, you increase the likelihood toward 100%.

The bigger we find the universe to be, the greater the odds become.

Of course, I'm not so sure it's possible to have life spontaneously appear from inorganic material anyway.

That's exactly how I feel about it, and that's exactly why I think it was extremely improbable.
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:31:04 PM

I cannot say for sure that I believe in aliens because we have still not found any. However, I believe its more probable than not that aliens exist because of the amazing vastness of the universe. That only we humans exist in this infinitely big universe is in my opinion very unlikely and illogical.

No.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 1:33:52 PM
Anyone read Sphere by Michael Crichton? In it, I vaguely remember it saying something like astrophysicists tend to believe in extraterrestrial life whereas biologists tend not to. Or something like that. Anyway, it's a good book irregardlessly.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 2:07:17 PM
Probably they exist, but it is irreverent since the possibility of the "alien" and the human race meeting each other is so insignificant.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 3:14:12 PM
At 7/11/2012 1:33:52 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Anyone read Sphere by Michael Crichton? In it, I vaguely remember it saying something like astrophysicists tend to believe in extraterrestrial life whereas biologists tend not to. Or something like that. Anyway, it's a good book irregardlessly.

<<CRINGE>>
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 3:16:39 PM
Geo!

and, yes... I believe Aliens probably exist somewhere...

I very much doubt Intelligent intelligent alien life has ever visited earth.. and very much doubt we'll ever encounter them either (or even get any signals as i'm pretty sure signals through electromagnetic waves deteriorate over vast distances)

the Universe is VAST.. and we travel slowly... The speed of light is a relatively slow speed limit which I doubt we (or other intelligent life) will ever come anywhere close to reaching.
And Black Holes (wormholes), from what I know, mean Death..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."