Generalizations necessary for COMM

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 12:24:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
COMM: Communication.

Claim: Generalizations are necessary for communication.

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu...

I'm not certain as to whether or not it is reasonable to adhere to such a claim. By all means, please object or defend it.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 12:28:23 PM
PRO.

Every word instantly becomes a concept precisely insofar as it is not supposed to serve as a reminder of the unique and entirely individual original experience to which it owes its origin; but rather, a word becomes a concept insofar as it simultaneously has to fit countless more or less similar cases — which means, purely and simply, cases which are never equal and thus altogether unequal. Every concept arises from the equation of unequal things. Just as it is certain that one leaf is never totally the same as another, so it is certain that the concept "leaf" is formed by arbitrarily discarding these individual differences and by forgetting the distinguishing aspects. - Nietzsche
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 1:16:08 PM
All communication is a generalization. Nouns, verbs, etc.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 9:55:33 PM
Agreed. In order to communication to be short enough to be useful, it must exist as a generalization. Words themselves, as Rez explained with the Nietzche quote, exist as a verbal shortcut for larger concepts. Names are the best example of this. Someones name is used as a shorter alternative to describing every aspect of that person, and all a name is is simply the generalization of that persons characteristics. It is obviously not a direct generalization, but is nevertheless a generalization.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 7:55:10 AM
This is one of the things I love about DDO. I have these half-formed answers to complicated philosophical questions and while I know that I have my stance, my lack of experience prohibits me from justifying it. I've learned a lot just from the handful of posts in this very thread.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 11:27:28 AM
Agree.
These generalizations are just simply accepted without further scrutiny or proof. I guess it's a kind of faith...good faith. :o)

You have to start somewhere.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 3:57:50 AM
No, not all communication is generalizations. But all human language is, and all labels and categorizations is.

Without generalization you can not say "I'm feel like eating an apple", as "I", "feel", "eat" "apple" are all generalizations.
So prove me wrong, then.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 4:01:46 AM
At 8/29/2009 1:16:08 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I think you are generalising there.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 5:09:17 AM
At 9/11/2009 4:01:46 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Always.
So prove me wrong, then.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 12:21:46 PM
At 9/11/2009 5:09:17 AM, regebro wrote:
At 9/11/2009 4:01:46 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Always.

Always: A generalisation to explain the concept of doing something constant;y when a certain action performed.

Now explain the concepts behind each word I have posted :)
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.