Jump to topic:

What is Evolution?

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:23:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey all, this is part of the book that I'm writing. Give me your thoughts.

----------

Chapter 1: What is Evolution?

As a child, I lived in paradise. I had an immense love for life, learning, and a great love for God. I grew up in Aberdeen, Maryland and near my home; I went to parks, beaches, and boardwalks and loved every minute of being out in nature. Once, my dad and I went down to the local hydroelectric plant where there are tons of birds of all sorts—eagles, hawks, vultures, and more. By the time I was in middle school, my fate was set—I will become a biologist.
I did not always take the theory of evolution seriously. Because of my fundamentalist upbringing, I was taught that life was created in its present form less than 10,000 years ago. I went to Harford Christian School for several years and each year they brought in a representative from the Institute for Creation Research and the Answers in Genesis program. They taught that the earth was young (less than 10,000 years), life did not evolve, and that there was a great flood that occurred 4,000 years ago. When examining the evidence through my research and public education, I found that what they taught me did not compute. I found that the evidence for evolution was overwhelming—and even the term overwhelming is undoubtedly an understatement for the evidence that we have.
Understanding evolution is very important. In this book, I will outline why evolution matters for our health, our agriculture, our environment, and life on earth. This book is going to explain why "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution." (Dobzhansky, 1973) Nearly all biologists concur—evolution is the central theme of biology and explains the whole of life. Without evolution, we can still know much about biology—but we can never truly understand it. This book explains why.
So, what is evolution? Like many broad terms evolution is defined at several levels. There are two categories of evolution: microevolution; and macroevolution. At the most basic level, evolution is defined as "the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next." (Moran, 1993) Consequently, "genetic changes over many generations ultimately result in the emergence of new and different species from a single ancestral species". (Fairbanks, 2012) As a result, "all known living, terrestrial organisms are genealogically related. All existing species originated gradually by biological, reproductive processes on a geological timescale". (Douglas Theobald, 2012) Consequently, all modern organisms are the genetic descendants of one original species. All life on earth shares a common ancestor from the Phylogenetic Tree of Life.

Bibliography
Dobzhansky, T. (1973). Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution. American Biology Teacher 35, 125-129. Retrieved July 17, 2012
Douglas Theobald, P. (2012, April 16). 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution, 2.89. Retrieved July 18, 2012, from Talk.Origin Archive: http://www.talkorigins.org...
Fairbanks, D. J. (2012). What is Evolution? In D. J. Fairbanks, Evolving: The Human Effect and Why it Matters (p. 16). New York, New York, United States of America: Prometheus Books. Retrieved July 17, 2012
Futuyma, D. J. (1998). Evolutionary Biology (Vol. 3). Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States of America: Sinauer Associates. Retrieved July 18, 2012
Moran, L. (1993, January 22). What is Evolution? . Retrieved July 17, 2012, from Talk.Origin Archive: http://www.talkorigins.org...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:26:08 PM
That's great! :) I might even buy that book.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:27:40 PM
At 7/19/2012 4:26:08 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Really?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:30:55 PM
At 7/19/2012 4:27:40 PM, Microsuck wrote:

Really?

Yes. I have been reading about evolution a lot recently.
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:33:03 PM
At 7/19/2012 4:30:55 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Really?

I highly recommend this book on evolution http://www.amazon.com... it is the BEST I have ever read on evolution. Not only does Professor Fairbanks present evidence for evolution, but he then takes that evidence and applies it to the real world and explains why it matters.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:38:58 PM
At 7/19/2012 4:33:03 PM, Microsuck wrote:

Really?

I highly recommend this book on evolution http://www.amazon.com... it is the BEST I have ever read on evolution. Not only does Professor Fairbanks present evidence for evolution, but he then takes that evidence and applies it to the real world and explains why it matters.

Ok thanks, I will go look it up in the library.
Wall of LOL
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:46:32 PM
At 7/19/2012 4:38:58 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
At 7/19/2012 4:33:03 PM, Microsuck wrote:

Really?

Ok thanks, I will go look it up in the library.

They may not have it because it just came out in May.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 5:07:15 PM
Is the book solely on evolution?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 6:33:30 PM
At 7/19/2012 5:07:15 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Is the book solely on evolution?

Yes.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:23:02 AM
At 8/7/2012 6:04:08 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
"What is Evolution"?

A fairy tale for grown ups.

BWHAHAHAAH!

fucktard
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 5:08:45 PM
Sounds great!

The only actual book I have read on Evolution was The Blind Watchmaker.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:55:40 PM
At 8/7/2012 6:04:08 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
"What is Evolution"?

A fairy tale for grown ups.

That is a very ballsy statement to make, considering that speciation has been physically observed and now secured as a factual and fundamental key principle in the study of Biology.

But your profile says that you are a Christian; that's reaffirming, for now I can just discard your ill-gotten remark as ironic conjecture.
turn down for h'what
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 11:32:37 PM
I might buy the book if it's within my price range when it comes out.

Have you been in contact with publishers yet?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 7:38:45 AM
At 7/19/2012 4:23:58 PM, Microsuck wrote:
Hey all, this is part of the book that I'm writing. Give me your thoughts.

----------

Chapter 1: What is Evolution?

As a child, I lived in paradise. I had an immense love for life, learning, and a great love for God. I grew up in Aberdeen, Maryland and near my home; I went to parks, beaches, and boardwalks and loved every minute of being out in nature. Once, my dad and I went down to the local hydroelectric plant where there are tons of birds of all sorts—eagles, hawks, vultures, and more. By the time I was in middle school, my fate was set—I will become a biologist.
I did not always take the theory of evolution seriously. Because of my fundamentalist upbringing, I was taught that life was created in its present form less than 10,000 years ago. I went to Harford Christian School for several years and each year they brought in a representative from the Institute for Creation Research and the Answers in Genesis program. They taught that the earth was young (less than 10,000 years), life did not evolve, and that there was a great flood that occurred 4,000 years ago. When examining the evidence through my research and public education, I found that what they taught me did not compute. I found that the evidence for evolution was overwhelming—and even the term overwhelming is undoubtedly an understatement for the evidence that we have.
Understanding evolution is very important. In this book, I will outline why evolution matters for our health, our agriculture, our environment, and life on earth. This book is going to explain why "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution." (Dobzhansky, 1973) Nearly all biologists concur—evolution is the central theme of biology and explains the whole of life. Without evolution, we can still know much about biology—but we can never truly understand it. This book explains why.
So, what is evolution? Like many broad terms evolution is defined at several levels. There are two categories of evolution: microevolution; and macroevolution. At the most basic level, evolution is defined as "the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next." (Moran, 1993) Consequently, "genetic changes over many generations ultimately result in the emergence of new and different species from a single ancestral species". (Fairbanks, 2012) As a result, "all known living, terrestrial organisms are genealogically related. All existing species originated gradually by biological, reproductive processes on a geological timescale". (Douglas Theobald, 2012) Consequently, all modern organisms are the genetic descendants of one original species. All life on earth shares a common ancestor from the Phylogenetic Tree of Life.

Bibliography
Dobzhansky, T. (1973). Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution. American Biology Teacher 35, 125-129. Retrieved July 17, 2012
Douglas Theobald, P. (2012, April 16). 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution, 2.89. Retrieved July 18, 2012, from Talk.Origin Archive: http://www.talkorigins.org...
Fairbanks, D. J. (2012). What is Evolution? In D. J. Fairbanks, Evolving: The Human Effect and Why it Matters (p. 16). New York, New York, United States of America: Prometheus Books. Retrieved July 17, 2012
Futuyma, D. J. (1998). Evolutionary Biology (Vol. 3). Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States of America: Sinauer Associates. Retrieved July 18, 2012
Moran, L. (1993, January 22). What is Evolution? . Retrieved July 17, 2012, from Talk.Origin Archive: http://www.talkorigins.org...

Advice do not post things youn intend to publish on the internet, IT could stolen. But I myself am writing a book on just the opposite. Interesting.
TheAsylum
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 6:37:20 PM
At 8/10/2012 6:09:18 PM, badbob wrote:
I think you should do more research before writing on a subject you don't seem to know a lot about.

And yet you are the retard that doesn't understand how mutation and positive/negative selection works.

What now?
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 8:54:27 AM
At 8/10/2012 6:37:20 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/10/2012 6:09:18 PM, badbob wrote:
I think you should do more research before writing on a subject you don't seem to know a lot about.

And yet you are the retard that doesn't understand how mutation and positive/negative selection works.

What now?

Ha, I just debated him on that. "Evidence for mutation as the cause of evolution has not been proven".
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 8:54:56 AM
I will definitely buy your book, Micro.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin