Jump to topic:

Problem of Genetic Erosion

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 3:34:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Genetic erosion is a loss of overall genetic diversity in a species, most commonly identified in domesticated plants and animals due to intensive breeding efforts; (Fairbanks, 2012)

As such, it is a process whereby an already limited gene pool of an endangered species or plant or animal diminishes even more when individuals from the surviving population die off.

An example of how this can be so deadly is in the Irish potato famine. Lack of genetic variation in the Irish potatoes contributed to the severity of the famine, which left thousands of people starving and dead. Today, evolutionary theory tells us that relying on crops with low genetic variation can lead to disaster. (Berkeley college)

The problem with the Irish potato was the variety that it used called the "Lumper potatoes" which is susceptible to a rot caused by <i>Phytophthora infestans</i>, which turns non-resistant potatoes to inedible slime. At that time, Ireland was dependent upon that potato and, consequently, one in eight Irish died of starvation.

Despite the warnings of evolution and history, much agriculture continues to depend on genetically uniform crops. The widespread planting of a single corn variety contributed to the loss of over a billion dollars worth of corn in 1970, when the U.S. crop was overwhelmed by a fungus. And in the 1980s, dependence upon a single type of grapevine root forced California grape growers to replant approximately two million acres of vines when a new race of the pest insect, grape phylloxera (Daktulosphaira vitifoliae, shown at right) attacked in the 1980s. (Bekely college)

This is just one more example of the importance of the evolutionary theory. Racists, neo-nazis, and other people want to do similar disasters to humans by preventing interracial marriage. I contend that genetic diversity amongst humans are vastly important. If we do not learn our lessons from history and from the evolutionary theory, a disaster similar to the Irish potato famine is inevitable.

Fairbanks, D. J. "Evolving", 2012. Print.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 5:24:56 PM
At 7/20/2012 3:34:34 PM, Microsuck wrote:
Genetic erosion is a loss of overall genetic diversity in a species, most commonly identified in domesticated plants and animals due to intensive breeding efforts; (Fairbanks, 2012)

As such, it is a process whereby an already limited gene pool of an endangered species or plant or animal diminishes even more when individuals from the surviving population die off.

An example of how this can be so deadly is in the Irish potato famine. Lack of genetic variation in the Irish potatoes contributed to the severity of the famine, which left thousands of people starving and dead. Today, evolutionary theory tells us that relying on crops with low genetic variation can lead to disaster. (Berkeley college)

The problem with the Irish potato was the variety that it used called the "Lumper potatoes" which is susceptible to a rot caused by <i>Phytophthora infestans</i>, which turns non-resistant potatoes to inedible slime. At that time, Ireland was dependent upon that potato and, consequently, one in eight Irish died of starvation.

Despite the warnings of evolution and history, much agriculture continues to depend on genetically uniform crops. The widespread planting of a single corn variety contributed to the loss of over a billion dollars worth of corn in 1970, when the U.S. crop was overwhelmed by a fungus. And in the 1980s, dependence upon a single type of grapevine root forced California grape growers to replant approximately two million acres of vines when a new race of the pest insect, grape phylloxera (Daktulosphaira vitifoliae, shown at right) attacked in the 1980s. (Bekely college)

This is just one more example of the importance of the evolutionary theory. Racists, neo-nazis, and other people want to do similar disasters to humans by preventing interracial marriage.

The Fool: I don't quite think that is what they wanted to do.

I contend that genetic diversity amongst humans are vastly important. If we do not learn our lessons from history and from the evolutionary theory, a disaster similar to the Irish potato famine is inevitable.

The Fool: evolution is not that perfect a theory, it has holes. Random Mutation is a hole. It lets like saying sh!t happends. So is natural selection. Why is the sky grey; because it was selected for. why am I dancing; it was selected for.

ITs sound alot like the old concept of "substantial form" in scholasitism which was a disaster. Every question would be answered, its because of its substantial form..
why does the arrow go down. its because of its substantial form. You see the problem here. why are you doing that. its because it a habit that been selected for. .
BIG PROBLEM HERE. It good. But far from perfect. Don't hold on to it so tight, like physicist with quantum theory. Its good but its STILL A THEORY. It is definitly explains the history of life. But its gets sketchy in why or how it because that way.

Just answer it was selected for, for everyt single answer sound sketchy.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 7:18:46 PM

This is just one more example of the importance of the evolutionary theory. Racists, neo-nazis, and other people want to do similar disasters to humans by preventing interracial marriage. I contend that genetic diversity amongst humans are vastly important. If we do not learn our lessons from history and from the evolutionary theory, a disaster similar to the Irish potato famine is inevitable.

I disagree completely with the last paragraph. We should marry whom we want to - from our own race or otherwise. There is no sense in marrying someone to improve human genetic diversity. Applying ToE to human beings is extremely dubious project, no matter what your conclusions are.

The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 7:21:53 PM

How about we let the neo-nazis have their own little land in Idaho where they can do that there. And eventually, they'll die out.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:58:42 AM
At 7/20/2012 7:21:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

How about we let the neo-nazis have their own little land in Idaho where they can do that there. And eventually, they'll die out.

"Nazism" is an ideology, not a phenotype.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:59:54 AM

Here's the thing about interracial marriage. It produces the hottest chicks.

Clearly, there's some genetic proclivity there. xD