Jump to topic:

Critical Thinking about science P1

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 12:29:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
There are a few general types of scientific methods used in social and natural sciences. These are the jest of them.

What makes the most sense?
But even more important I want to know Y?

A. Typical and original method/positivist.
1. Observation and experiment.
2 inductive generalization.
3. hypothesis;
4. attempted verification of hypothesis:
5, proof of disproof:
6, knowledge.

B.2. Popperian scientific method
1, problem (usually rebuff to exiting theory);
2, proposed solution, in other words as new theory;
3, deduction of testable temp propositions from the new theory;
4, Test, i.e. attemping refutation (falsifying)
5, choose the the better theory amoung competing theories.

C. Social Sciences/Psychometrics method.

1, assume a best case explanation.
2. assume it has a (true score+error), that is it corresponds with something besided the 'Idea:
3. create operationaly definitions, which can be or just sound like they related to the "metaphysical idea".
4. assume a null hypothesis. (assume there will show no difference)
5. create an experiment which can affirm/support the theory.
6. if results cohere with it assumed metaphical ideology publish it, If not don't publish and tweak the definition, and operational definitions until we can't tell if its true or false.
7. knowledge..

The Fool: Please stop trying to attack me, that is not Y? Come on my brothers and sisters of DDO. Theist and non-theist a like.. LETS CALCULATE together. Thinking of a better one is best answer.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 12:30:07 AM
The Fool: B Rebuff the existing theory.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 6:56:06 PM
The Fool: Keys to understanding science
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 8:28:58 PM
At 7/27/2012 12:29:20 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
There are a few general types of scientific methods used in social and natural sciences. These are the jest of them.

3. hypothesis;
5, proof of disproof:
6, knowledge.

2. assume it has a (true score+error), that is it corresponds with something besided the 'Idea:
3. create operationaly definitions, which can be or just sound like they related to the "metaphysical idea".
6. if results cohere with it assumed metaphical ideology publish it, If not don't publish and tweak the definition, and operational definitions until we can't tell if its true or false.
7. knowledge..

The Fool: Please stop trying to attack me, that is not Y? Come on my brothers and sisters of DDO. Theist and non-theist a like.. LETS CALCULATE together. Thinking of a better one is best answer.

Science has been poluted with political agenda's. You can't trust what you read anymore. You either have to do the science yourself . Or be there while it is being conducted so as to verifiy no false or eronous inputs to get a desired result. The only science that you can trust is the science you will buy. IE technology, It either works or it doesn't.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 1:49:56 PM
At 8/3/2012 8:28:58 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 7/27/2012 12:29:20 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

3. hypothesis;
5, proof of disproof:
6, knowledge.

7. knowledge..

Science has been poluted with political agenda's.

The Fool: That I what I am pointing out. The third method, could never really prove things false. That the method they use for political science and social sciences.

You can't trust what you read anymore.

The Fool: That is why Critical Thinking skill need to be a necessary requirement in education at a much more elementary lever.

You either have to do the science yourself .

The Fool: FIrst you have to know a scientific method that is not going to bias information.

Or be there while it is being conducted so as to verifiy no false or eronous inputs to get a desired result.

The Fool: You need to know what they are doing. I could be at a quantum mechanics experiment and still have no idea what going on. If I am not educated on the subject.

The only science that you can trust is the science you will buy. IE technology, It either works or it doesn't.

The Fool:That is made by the same scientific methods use for all the other things. Computer could not be possible without logic. Programming is of logical and mathmatical coding, which we get from philosophy. These things don't exist in nature we get this in formation by writing a symbolic system of logical/mathmetical Intuition in our MINDs.
Whichout all these disciplines all these technology would be impossible. Plus what about medical science.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:39:05 AM
Technology is built on science. People don't try things randomly then choose what works, they design based upon known science. Something may be overlooked, but a good design reflects previous science.

A scientific theory is a reliable generality. it's reliable because its been tested.