Jump to topic:

Motivation to claim Global Warming

GCT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 1:50:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So in Europe the idea of humans causing Global Warming is pretty well accepted. Since joining this site however I've seen alot of debates about whether this is really the case.
My question to those who don't believe it is caused by Humans is this. What does the Government/scientific community(or certainly a large part of it) gain from supporting the idea that it is man made?
I can't see any incentive for them to spread this information with the exception of maybe research funds for the scientists. In fact the measures taken to reduce CO2 emissions costs billions every year.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 2:22:17 PM
At 8/1/2012 1:50:27 PM, GCT wrote:
So in Europe the idea of humans causing Global Warming is pretty well accepted. Since joining this site however I've seen alot of debates about whether this is really the case.
My question to those who don't believe it is caused by Humans is this. What does the Government/scientific community(or certainly a large part of it) gain from supporting the idea that it is man made?
I can't see any incentive for them to spread this information with the exception of maybe research funds for the scientists. In fact the measures taken to reduce CO2 emissions costs billions every year.:

This assumes that if antropogenic Global Warming does not exist, that the "government" is intentionally hoaxing people for specific gain, but is likewise within the realm of plausibility that they are simply misinformed and have no nefarious plot in mind.

Companies in the "Green" industry have a lot of incentive to push it though. Like the whole "Carbon Credit" scam, which is essentially tithing or your eco-sins in order to "offset emission."
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 9:44:37 AM
I don't think there is any conspiracy to fool people about global warming. Alarmists are completely sincere and want to save the world.

Nonetheless, there is enormous confirmation bias. Someone phrased it along the lines of "If you want to get a grant to study ground squirrels in Sussex, you probably won't get it. But if you apply to study the effects of global warming on ground squirrels in Sussex, your odds go way up." Success is predicated upon supporting the theory.

A large industry has been built up based upon global warming. It includes windmills, solar panels, ethanol production, and trading carbon credits. Al Gore has made a personal fortune from global warming. It's rue that fortunes also depend upon oil production, but in government and academia there is ten times as much to be gained from global warming.

People also become intellectually invested in theories. For example, the theory of plate tectonics -- that the continents move -- was resisted for much longer than a dispassionate look at the evidence would allow. The earth warmed very rapidly from about 1975 to 1995, so theories were made about a looming crisis. With very little warming from 2000-2009, it's too embarrassing to wind back predictions that the death of the world is at hand.

The psychology is similar to religion. Great institution have been built on diverse religious theories, and when an institution is built it sustains itself both financially and intellectually. All the believers are sincre.

It's worth repeating the skeptical position. Nearly every scientist agrees that global warming exists and that CO2 contributes to it. The issue is how much is natural and how much is CO2 induced and how reliable predictions of uture climate can be made now. Skeptics say the science is not fully cooked, as witnessed by the decade without warming, contrary to the theory. Recently a paper was publishing showing that the earth is absorbing considerably more excess CO2 than thought, and the absorption rate is increasing as CO2 increases. The science is incomplete.
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 1:54:32 PM
At 8/8/2012 9:44:37 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Recently a paper was publishing showing that the earth is absorbing considerably more excess CO2 than thought, and the absorption rate is increasing as CO2 increases. The science is incomplete.

I also think a study using Google Earth demonstrated the Sahara Desert has shrank a significant amount over the past decade or so. It said rising CO2 levels allowed the plants to move further and further into the desert. If anyone would like to see it, I'm sure I could find it.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin