Scientists to Add Spider Genes to Human Genom

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:00:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Uhm...

...I'm actually stunned beyond words for the moment.

This is... Astounding. I'm reading more about this, then I shall return.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:36:27 AM
Holy crap. My dreams of building a genetically engineered army shall come true!!

MWAHAHA!
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:21:37 PM
Interesting, but it disappoints me whenever scientific understanding is utilized for political domination (i.e. war) instead of humanitarian advancement. Unfortunately, we'll see a lot more of this in the near future, both in terms of biogenetic enhancement of soldiers, and technological enhancement of military weaponry, especially once we start vying for military dominance in space.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:22:17 PM
And we jump into the Great Unknown with this discovery. Humanity, not any god or the universe, but humanity, will be in control of its own genetic destiny. But the question of the day is.... will we use it, or abuse it?

Perhaps one day we will be able to create superintelligence and remove negative personality traits, and make "perfect humans". IDK, but the prospect is a little scary.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:23:13 PM
They're playing a very dangerous game here.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:24:37 PM
I CAN MAKE A SUPERNINJACAT WITH THIS!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MUA.. MUA... MUA... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE WORLD SHALL BE MINE!!!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAAA- ack, ack *cough*. ugh, furball.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:40:39 PM
At 8/16/2012 10:36:12 AM, yoda878 wrote:
http://naturalsociety.com...

What now you can say shoot and mean it tough guy lol :)

YES! We're finally getting some muthafuckin' spidermen! Well.. spider-goat-men, but I'll take it.
My legend begins in the 12th century
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:55:55 PM
Spider goat, spider goat, can do whatever a spider goat does. Can he swing from a web? No he can't. He's a goat. Watch out! Here comes the spider goat!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:58:01 AM
At 8/16/2012 1:55:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Spider goat man, spider goatman, can do whatever a spider goat man does. Can he swing from a web? No he can't. He's a goat man</em. Watch out! Here comes the spider goat man</em!

Fix'd
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

-Wallstreetatheist

-royalpaladin
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:34:30 PM
That has so many problems...

What of the skin can't sweat?
Death.

What if you literally start making silk?
Lolz

What if other mutations occur?
Dangerous game

I say let evolution take its course, and let's not screw it up.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:23:38 PM
At 8/16/2012 1:23:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
They're playing a very dangerous game here.

And you suggest what exactly?
turn down for h'what
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 12:39:40 AM
At 8/17/2012 10:34:30 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Death.

Lolz

Dangerous game

Would you support guided evolution, i.e. Neoevolution? http://www.ted.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 1:20:03 AM
At 8/18/2012 12:40:23 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Neoevolution

This is interesting as all hell. My only concern is the safety of the entire procedure. If it's safe and there aren't any really horrible side-effects, then I'd say we should go for it.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 11:09:54 AM

Death.

This new "skin" does not at all replace the functions of the existing skin, in the sense that keratin production would still continue and the new skin would be able to sweat.

Lolz

What if you literally become retarded?

Dangerous game

Err.... Unless this mutation increases possible mutations, which has never been witnessed before, there is no reason to believe that it would in the future.

Of course you would; you think that eventually the gays and the liberals will be weeded out.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 11:10:40 AM
At 8/18/2012 12:40:23 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Neoevolution

That has got to be the most useless and uninformative talk on TED ever. Lol.

Basically:

We can control our evolution.

I'm pretty sure everybody in that crowd already knew it.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 5:47:49 PM
The reason is that it's going to be used to create "designer humans" that have specific function. This collapses moral agency and autonomy. That just makes our lives meaningless.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 5:54:58 PM
At 8/18/2012 11:09:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Death.

This new "skin" does not at all replace the functions of the existing skin, in the sense that keratin production would still continue and the new skin would be able to sweat.

Lolz

What if you literally become retarded?

I was kinda joking you assh0le. Go fvck yourself.

Dangerous game

Err.... Unless this mutation increases possible mutations, which has never been witnessed before, there is no reason to believe that it would in the future.

Of course you would; you think that eventually the gays and the liberals will be weeded out.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 5:56:37 PM
At 8/19/2012 5:47:49 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
The reason is that it's going to be used to create "designer humans" that have specific function. This collapses moral agency and autonomy. That just makes our lives meaningless.

Lol, I'm actually looking forward to that point. How would it collapse moral agency and autonomy?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 9:29:31 PM
Genetic engineering and computer science are the two fields I expect to have the most potential and most rapid growth.

People are going to start using this to enhance their bodies. While it will unnerve many, you should take comfort in the fact that there is ALWAYS a give and a take. The universe works in balances. Bullet-proof skin, enhanced strength, etc. will come at costs for the user. The human body is a finely-tuned machine and by tweaking it in such ways it will be difficult to predict the dangers. I have no doubt that those who experiment with these procedures will, at the very least, be sacrificing other parts of their humanity to do it. Super-strong skin will no doubt have a host of sacrifices we can't even predict yet.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 4:33:35 PM

It's a brave new world, ain't it?
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 4:39:24 PM
A thousand pounds says this shall be delayed on moral grounds, most likely on something regarding that God made us the way we should be.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 5:26:21 PM
At 8/19/2012 5:56:37 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Lol, I'm actually looking forward to that point. How would it collapse moral agency and autonomy?

It develops individuals for specific purposes instead of letting them make the choices for themselves. For example, people with the bulletproof skin will be cultivated for armies.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 6:17:35 PM
At 8/20/2012 5:26:21 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

It develops individuals for specific purposes instead of letting them make the choices for themselves. For example, people with the bulletproof skin will be cultivated for armies.

They won't be "cultivated." If someone has bulletproof skin, it does not eliminate the basic rights that are bestowed onto members of a modern society, within which comes individual autonomy. Although these genetically-engineered humans might be attempted to be persuaded to go into the armies, there is no way that they can be forced to go into the armies, short of conscription.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 6:32:12 PM
At 8/20/2012 6:17:35 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/20/2012 5:26:21 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

They won't be "cultivated." If someone has bulletproof skin, it does not eliminate the basic rights that are bestowed onto members of a modern society, within which comes individual autonomy. Although these genetically-engineered humans might be attempted to be persuaded to go into the armies, there is no way that they can be forced to go into the armies, short of conscription.

Tell me, what is the function of granting some individuals bulletproof skin through genetic alterations, and why would we engage in such a costly procedure if we did not wish to obtain some benefit?

My point is that this technology can be abused (and almost certainly will) to create humans that fulfill specific functins.