Jump to topic:

Reddish Green & Bluish Yellow

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:06:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The truth is that color doesn't exist in the real world. It only exists in our minds. And there's essentially infinite possibilities that could be perceived if we had mental faculties to do it. Bees, for instance, can perceive ultra-violet light and to them this would appear as a different color than humans can see.

But even with the limited mental faculties we have, there have been many reports of people perceiving colors that aren't normally perceived. Such as by people who were under the influence of psychedelic drugs.

However, there is one way which science has found which will give SOME people a glimpse of these impossible colors. Only two of them though. They are referred to as "reddish green" and "bluish yellow". Keep in mind that these colors are not related to the colors that come out of them when you normally mix them together, but entirely new colors.
This is how it's done. You will look at these images and then cross your eyes so that the cross in the middle of each color overlaps into one image. Make sure the two crosses are directly on each other. Then observe the colors with your peripheral version. Some, though not all, of subjects in studies have reported seeing a new color. And even some of those who saw the color reported being able to picture it in their mind afterwards.
Reddish green: http://www.indigoimage.com...
Bluish yellow: http://www.indigoimage.com...

How did it work for me? At first, I tried the bluish yellow. It has been unsuccessful for me so far. But then I tried the reddish green. It took me a few tries but then I was pleasantly surprised when it suddenly mixed together right. I'm fairly sure that I perceived the reddish green and that it was a distinct color in of itself.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:46:03 AM
This is so cool. I've perfected seeing the reddish green. Still nothing with the bluish yellow.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 3:46:32 AM
At 8/24/2012 2:06:09 AM, FREEDO wrote:
The truth is that color doesn't exist in the real world.

The Fool: Real word is a stupid conception. We all in the Absolute Universe: all think that exist. There is no FAKE world. You Mind is as REAL. Ask somebody to refer to the UNCONSCIOUS obseration that this is based this claim on.

It only exists in our minds.

The Fool: In other words. We are ONLY conscious of these things. Unfortunaty empircal experience does not enough to meet the quota of real. Its the Unconscious Experiences which are real.

And there's essentially infinite possibilities that could be perceived if we had mental faculties to do it.

The Fool: Do you cannot percieve infinite anything. You could never reach it. And that which could never be true is by necessity False. It is literally impossible in the most stongest sense that things are impossible.

Bees, for instance, can perceive ultra-violet light and to them this would appear as a different color than humans can see.

The Fool: That is we observate that bees respond to higher frequencies of elecromagnitism.

But even with the limited mental faculties we have, there have been many reports of people perceiving colors that aren't normally perceived. Such as by people who were under the influence of psychedelic drugs.

The Fool: You could never explain what they we

However, there is one way which science has found which will give SOME people a glimpse of these impossible colors. Only two of them though. They are referred to as "reddish green" and "bluish yellow".

The Fool: If we can glimpse them they are by necessary colours.

Keep in mind that these colors are not related to the colors that come out of them when you normally mix them together, but entirely new colors.

The Fool: Then saying reddish Green and it not being the mixture is like explaining colours to a blind person. There is zero information to be had from those words because know one could possibly know what you talking about.

This is how it's done. You will look at these images and then cross your eyes so that the cross in the middle of each color overlaps into one image. Make sure the two crosses are directly on each other. Then observe the colors with your peripheral version.

The Fool: you peripheral vision is of Black and white light recepters onlly. Rods.

;Some, though not all, of subjects in studies have reported seeing a new color.

The Fool: Like the idea of maximatly great being, there is just not information in new color that anybody could possibly communitate information from on person two the next.

And even some of those who saw the color reported being able to picture it in their mind afterwards.

The Fool: You can increase or decrease and mix all possible colours you can experience. The Colours then self are built in, because like you said, we can hallucinate colours or increase or decrease intensity in our imagination.

How did it work for me? At first, I tried the bluish yellow. It has been unsuccessful for me so far. But then I tried the reddish green. It took me a few tries but then I was pleasantly surprised when it suddenly mixed together right. I'm fairly sure that I perceived the reddish green and that it was a distinct color in of itself.

The Fool: Its makes no sense to anybody untill they seen it. Because you using the name "reddish green" to refer to something which is NOT "reddish green". Even if we both see something we havent seen before there is know way to know what you see.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 4:51:02 PM
At 8/24/2012 3:46:32 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: Its makes no sense to anybody untill they seen it. Because you using the name "reddish green" to refer to something which is NOT "reddish green". Even if we both see something we havent seen before there is know way to know what you see.

It's called reddish green because it has qualities that appear both red and green at the same time. And you use red and green to produce it. I don't see the problem.

And this thread isn't in the philosophy section.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 8:19:15 PM
What the Fool said. This is pure bs.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:36:55 AM
At 8/24/2012 8:19:15 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Why, again?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:47:45 AM
At 8/25/2012 3:36:55 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Why, again?

Because colours are different from person to person, therefore you cannot have a standard to compare these to.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:52:25 AM
At 8/25/2012 3:47:45 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Why, again?

Because colours are different from person to person, therefore you cannot have a standard to compare these to.

Besides that being a baseless assertion, it has nothing to do with the point of the thread.

The point is that you are seeing a color you haven't seen before.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:57:02 AM
At 8/25/2012 3:52:25 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Why, again?

Besides that being a baseless assertion, it has nothing to do with the point of the thread.

It looked orange to me. Also, both links go to the red/green boxes.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:59:37 AM
At 8/25/2012 3:57:02 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 8/25/2012 3:52:25 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Why, again?

It looked orange to me. Also, both links go to the red/green boxes.

Oops, sorry.
http://www.indigoimage.com...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:03:01 PM
At 8/25/2012 2:32:46 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I can't get the crosses to overlap, only touch :/

Get a stereoscopic 3D iPhone viewer. That's how I did it.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 4:01:13 PM
At 8/25/2012 2:32:46 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I can't get the crosses to overlap, only touch :/

Crossing my eyes somehow came naturally to me xD It's weird to me when other's can't do it. Apparently, putting a finger in front of you and then looking at it with both eyes help. You could try tht.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
TheJackel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 3:06:41 AM
At 8/24/2012 2:06:09 AM, FREEDO wrote:
The truth is that color doesn't exist in the real world. It only exists in our minds. And there's essentially infinite possibilities that could be perceived if we had mental faculties to do it. Bees, for instance, can perceive ultra-violet light and to them this would appear as a different color than humans can see.

However, there is one way which science has found which will give SOME people a glimpse of these impossible colors. Only two of them though. They are referred to as "reddish green" and "bluish yellow". Keep in mind that these colors are not related to the colors that come out of them when you normally mix them together, but entirely new colors.
This is how it's done. You will look at these images and then cross your eyes so that the cross in the middle of each color overlaps into one image. Make sure the two crosses are directly on each other. Then observe the colors with your peripheral version. Some, though not all, of subjects in studies have reported seeing a new color. And even some of those who saw the color reported being able to picture it in their mind afterwards.

This is a false argument..

1. Your ability to correctly perceive the illusion will largely rest on the calibration and refresh rate of your monitor.. Most people do not have a properly calibrated monitor, and most people do not have quality monitors that would be usable for professional purposes.

2. All colors are associated with specific wavelengths and frequencies, and those who know this will be better at calibrating their monitors..

3. All those colors you mention, exist on the spectrum

4. If you wanted to argue a nonexistent color, using pink would have been a far better example to use since it doesn't exist in the spectrum.

5. yes you can say color blindness is evidence, but we understand color blindness. And even then those colors exist on the spectrum

6. Fool's argument has somewhat of a point, but fails to realize everything is real to which includes illusions.. It's relevancy however is the key to this however. The dragon in my video game is real, so is the image in my head of an apple.. However, the dragon and the apples relevancy doesn't go beyond that.

7. Even if this world is a computer simulation on some other entities laptop, it would still be really happening even if it's just a simulation.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 10:41:30 AM
Still nothing...oh wait...naw nothing.

But I am getting nauseous though.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 9:05:10 AM
Colors do exist in the real world. Instruments (spectrophotometers) measure colors by integrating the received spectrum through three filters that mimic the human response. The spectrum completely defines the energy distribution, but the integrating filters could be defined for non-human species or for some arbitrary conception of color vision.

There are some physiological effects that are difficult to reproduce. The mind tries to compensate for some natural variations. If a computer graphics image is made with a pure blue sky, white clouds appear yellow to everyone. Adding white to the blue destroys effect.

There is an experiment with a spinning black-and-white disk in which colors appear by tricking the brain processing.

The red + green image fuses to a yellow-orange for me. I can see a little variation that seems to be due to trying to fuse the image and not entirely succeeding. The blue + yellow link goes to the red + green image again.

Back to the science, because the mind adds up the components of the spectrum to produce the sensation of color, two different spectra can be perceived as the same color, called a metameric match. If the color of the light source used to view the objects changes, the match disappears. Colors that match under daylight may not match under fluorescent light, for example. Green foliage is especially subject to the effect.

There is rare brain disorder in which individuals perceive sounds and tastes as colors. The effect is said to be spectacular. Maybe some drugs screw up the brain processing to produce odd effects. I remember 1960s druggies saying that the drug PCP makes objects appear to be made of plastic. Something looks plastic if bright highlights are white rather than being the color of the object.
Thaumaturgy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 8:16:24 PM

True to an extent, but th R-G and B-Y axes are the standard axes on the L*a*b* "opponent" colorspace. Colorimetry is developed off by the CIE (French for "International Commission on Illumination) in the early 1930's who used studies in the early 1920's. It ultimately utilized a concept of the "standard observer". If I recall correctly the studies used numerous people to run some experiments in mixing colored lights to achieve a given color which was characterized by "Tristimulus values", X,Y, and Z. These Tristimulus values were later transformed onto the L*a*b* color space

While it is true that true understanding of color is related to both the spectral power distribution of the reflected light AND the human perceiving it, it is not perfectly without some generally agreed foundation.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 1:45:32 PM
The Bluish Yellow didn't work for me. But if you stare at the cross in the middle of the yellow box, then look onto something white, the image of the cross will flash as yellow onto the white background, essentially flipping the colors.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.