Jump to topic:

When is the Universe Deterministic?

clonez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 1:59:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well based on Quantum mechanics, there can be multiple possibilities of every decision or event. However, I think that people over-apply this to everything. For example, when you flip a coin. Some may think that the outcome of the coin flip is decided only when it lands on one side or the other. However, based on the laws of physics, the outcome is predetermined the moment you release the coin from your hand, by its velocity, spin, and launch position. Therefore a coin flip is deterministic, it only appears probabilistic because the initial conditions to produce either a heads or tails is equally likely. The only common variable in these matters is the mind. What determines how our hand launches the coin? Do we have any free-will? Or is it merely the work of chemicals in your brain activating in the right order? What I am asking is, are our decisions and thoughts predetermined by biology and the laws of physics, or do we actually have the ability to shape our decisions? Are choices merely an illusion? I know that quantum effects exist on a very very tiny quantum level, but are they applicable to any other aspects of reality? I know that the schrodinger's cat experiment relies on particles at the quantum level, which is why it works. However, realistically, we will never encounter these phenomena in real life, and rarely will quantum particles make any significant difference in large scale occurences (of course a notable exception would be the big bang). Yes, we are made up of these particles, but at a larger scale will the fluctuations even out and become less significant, like tiny bumps on a large road? Is the mind a quantum computer that encompasses all possibilities? (not widely accepted by the scientific community), or is the mind purely deterministic? My main question then is, what events in the universe are deterministic and which ones are probabilistic?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 5:13:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't believe it is technically correct to assume a coin flip falls under the realm of deterministic Newtonian physics. Even though it is a larger collection of matter it is still under the realm of quantum physics.

Here is an article of the experimental demonstration of the wave-particle duality of an object 100 atoms large. This was march of this year, maybe even larger by now.

http://arstechnica.com...

Regardless of experimental results, as the article says the larger mass of an object the smaller its wave thus harder to see quantum craziness. That does not mean it does not exist. It is just crazy small.

It would be cool one day to entangle a coin pair so when one is heads the the other would always be tails or vice versa.