Jump to topic:

What's your view on the Flynn effect?

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 8:21:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I just want to know peoples opinions. It seems to be a viable theory to me personally.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 8:27:51 PM
At 8/30/2012 8:21:18 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I just want to know peoples opinions. It seems to be a viable theory to me personally.

It's not really a "theory" it is simply an observation.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 9:20:36 PM
At 8/30/2012 8:27:51 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

A theory is an explanation for facts.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 10:09:46 PM

Interesting, I didn't realize this was happening all around the world, I thought it was just me.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:50:33 PM
At 8/30/2012 9:20:36 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 8:27:51 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

A theory is an explanation for facts.

Right, the Flynn effect is not an explanation, merely pointing out the facts. Maybe you're thinking of "why" the flynn effect exists, that might be a theory.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 4:30:56 PM
My observations suggest more of a "Bell Curve" but not among races. But more tied to political ideology. The more extreme the dumber they are especially on the left. But the extreme right has it's prize winners to.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 8:24:11 PM

The Fool: There are not that accruate. They are not inline with what we would mean as intellegence in a general sense. I.Q. is score on a test of a set of question that correlates to people with educational success in the past. Its not even a high correlation, and its based on particular types of education. or post education. Success.
That correlation is THe Intellegence. People over estimated. Some people are educated and Dumb. They may be more motivated. Its Not INTELLEGENT they way common people think about it.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 8:25:44 PM
At 9/6/2012 4:35:06 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
The Flynn Effect is real and verified.

The Fool: Real And verified? Why do you need both? how did you verify it?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 10:27:58 PM
At 9/6/2012 8:24:11 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: There are not that accruate. They are not inline with what we would mean as intellegence in a general sense. I.Q. is score on a test of a set of question that correlates to people with educational success in the past. Its not even a high correlation, and its based on particular types of education. or post education. Success.
That correlation is THe Intellegence. People over estimated. Some people are educated and Dumb. They may be more motivated. Its Not INTELLEGENT they way common people think about it.

So its not we're getting smarter, its we're getting educated?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2012 5:45:38 PM
At 9/6/2012 10:27:58 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Speak for yourself bub, I'm getting smarter.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 12:06:54 PM
At 9/7/2012 5:45:38 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Speak for yourself bub, I'm

we're talking averages not single people.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 4:38:07 PM
At 9/8/2012 12:06:54 PM, 16kadams wrote:

That's OK, I'm not single.

"Wife, children, house, everything, the full catastrophe."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:19:08 PM
At 9/9/2012 4:38:07 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

...You said you got smarter?!

Stop trolling--you know what I meant--you must be more intelligent then that.
TombLikeBomb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:41:01 PM
At 9/6/2012 4:30:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
My observations suggest more of a "Bell Curve" but not among races. But more tied to political ideology. The more extreme the dumber they are especially on the left. But the extreme right has it's prize winners to.

That makes no sense. In the bell curve only one extreme is dumb. The other is smart, by definition, inasmuch as it's extreme. You, my friend, seem to suffer from what Curtis White calls the Middle Mind. You seek safety in numbers.
From the time of the progressive era with the rise of public schooling through the post-WWII period, capital invaded the time workers had liberated from waged work and shaped it for purposes of social control. Perhaps the most obvious moment of this colonization was the re-incarceration in schools of the young (who were expelled from the factories by child labor laws) such that what might have been free time was structured to convert their life energies into labor power.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:21:31 AM
At 9/9/2012 5:19:08 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were levity challenged.

Please llow me to rectify the situation, send me your tough sh!t ticket and I'll punch it for you.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2012 11:59:17 PM
I.Q. is a measure of the ability to score well on I.Q. tests. It is useful predictor because it correlates with various measures of success.

The Flynn effect is the observation that IQ scores have been rising over the past hundred years. One theory is that it is due to rising standards of nutrition and health worldwide.

There is an related theory that humans have evolved significantly in the past 10,000 years. Civilization began about 10,000 years ago upon the invention of agriculture. That allowed people to live in permanent cities and towns, rather than as nomadic hunters.

So it seems possible to me that higher intelligence is a result of evolutionary changes caused by the rise of industrial society.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 8:17:09 AM
At 9/11/2012 11:21:31 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 9/9/2012 5:19:08 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were levity challenged.

Please llow me to rectify the situation, send me your tough sh!t ticket and I'll punch it for you.

On the Internet when you can't gear tones humor doesn't cross. Either way, it's not very funny.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 8:41:39 AM
At 9/13/2012 11:59:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I.Q. is a measure of the ability to score well on I.Q. tests. It is useful predictor because it correlates with various measures of success.

The Flynn effect is the observation that IQ scores have been rising over the past hundred years. One theory is that it is due to rising standards of nutrition and health worldwide.

There is an related theory that humans have evolved significantly in the past 10,000 years. Civilization began about 10,000 years ago upon the invention of agriculture. That allowed people to live in permanent cities and towns, rather than as nomadic hunters.

So it seems possible to me that higher intelligence is a result of evolutionary changes caused by the rise of industrial society.

So tribes and primitive societies that have remained the same until the modern age are biologically inferior to us "civilized" humans?

I don't view IQ as a meaningful statistic at all. I certainly don't understand what it has to do with success. People who do better on IQ tests are more likely to have gotten it from school, meaning that they have better chances of graduating and getting higher degrees. Another reason why our current education system needs to be scrapped.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)