Jump to topic:

Aspergers and asexuality.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 4:18:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have aspergers and also don't experience sexual attraction. I was talking to somebody today who said he knows somebody else who is the same(having aspergers and having no sexual attraction). It makes me think there may be a connection between the two. Does anybody know anything about this?
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 4:22:05 PM
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 4:50:00 PM
IDK, but just being woman there are times where I think I could do without sex. Then I realize that's no fun, and that I change my mind.... I don't think you will find a male aspergers that feels that way I might be wrong though. lol
Me
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:01:14 PM
At 9/17/2012 4:50:00 PM, yoda878 wrote:
IDK, but just being woman there are times where I think I could do without sex. Then I realize that's no fun, and that I change my mind.... I don't think you will find a male aspergers that feels that way I might be wrong though. lol

I think this other person was male though so I feel there could be a connection. I'm 21 and still have never experienced sexual attraction. Romantic attraction perhaps, but that's a separate thing altogether.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:03:04 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:01:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/17/2012 4:50:00 PM, yoda878 wrote:

I think this other person was male though so I feel there could be a connection. I'm 21 and still have never experienced sexual attraction. Romantic attraction perhaps, but that's a separate thing altogether.

You might be right, and if he is male then very likely.
Me
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:32:51 PM
At 9/17/2012 4:18:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have aspergers and also don't experience sexual attraction. I was talking to somebody today who said he knows somebody else who is the same(having aspergers and having no sexual attraction). It makes me think there may be a connection between the two. Does anybody know anything about this?

By sexual attraction do you mean attraction to a particular individual or general arousal with regards to sexual conduct?

That is, someone can be aroused by the thought of sex without actually being attracted to other individuals.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 10:21:46 PM

There is definitely a statistical connection, especially at your age. Asexuality is more common in adults with Asperger"s than the general population, and it"s also pretty common that sexual impulses can be delayed until you are older. Several of the medications commonly administered to people with Aspergers reduce sexual desire too.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 1:51:45 AM
At 9/17/2012 10:21:46 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

There is definitely a statistical connection, especially at your age. Asexuality is more common in adults with Asperger"s than the general population, and it"s also pretty common that sexual impulses can be delayed until you are older. Several of the medications commonly administered to people with Aspergers reduce sexual desire too.

I'm not on medication though. I have just naturally never felt sexual attraction.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:51:32 AM
At 9/18/2012 1:51:45 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/17/2012 10:21:46 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

I'm not on medication though. I have just naturally never felt sexual attraction.

If there is anxiety about sexuality or the associated relationship issues, that can be inhibiting. How about sensitivity to touch or tactile defensiveness, they can become cognitively associated and inhibit sexuality also.

In any event, it may just be who you are. Aspergers is a way of being in the world, there is nothing typical about neurotypicals, that's just a word. Neurodiversity is what is most healthy, and it's what society desperately needs at the moment.

The great British historian, Arthur Toynbee studied all of the great civilizations in history and examined what happened as they arose, flourished, and then fell. He showed us that all civilizations reach a peak of vitality and then decline. Growing civilizations are characterized by the fact that they are full of life; they are overflowing with endless variety and versatility. He said that it is uniformity and a lack of inventiveness that characterize a civilization in decline. Their social structures and behavior patterns become rigid and they can no longer adapt to changing situations. They break down and then "disintegrate"; the essential element in cultural breakdown is a loss of flexibility accompanied by loss of harmony, social discord and disruption.

It's discomforting that this decline process sounds so familiar isn't it?

The point is that at this moment in time, the task at hand for all of us is to be real and genuine and value our differences, you only need to be true to yourself.

Being who you are might just save our civilization :)
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 7:57:28 AM

I also have aspergers and am gay. There does; however, seem to be a connection between asperger's syndrome and asexuality/homosexuality.

"[T]here is a growing body of subjective evidence that Aspergers adults are more likely than those without Aspergers to self-identify with sexualities other than heterosexuality (e.g., asexuality, pansexuality, polysexuality, bisexuality)." http://www.myaspergerschild.com...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:21:33 AM
You know, this just makes my case even more confusing.

I was "cleared" of Asperges a few years ago, but several people, including my Mother, said I have it in at least a moderate form.

However, this doesn't apply to me.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 7:13:56 PM
At 9/18/2012 9:21:33 AM, Ron-Paul wrote:

I was "cleared" of Asperges a few years ago,

Cleared? Do you mean they decided you had been misdiagnosed?

but several people, including my Mother, said I have it in at least a moderate form.

The diagnostic criteria is mostly based on qualitative factors, as such, it's very open to interpretation and judgement, but it's a spectrum with a wide range of behavioral interpretations, bias is common, as well as projecting society's prejudices onto those who are different. Everybody falls somewhere on the AS line at times, as I mentioned, there's nothing typical about neurotypicals.

Asperger's is very widely overdiagnosed today, it's a somewhat trendy thing in the medical community, as well as there is a tendency to try to "label" different personalities and simple idiosyncracies so they can be put into the DSM IV, I believe they've gone a little overboard with it in the last couple decades. Anymore, they seem to be looking to diagnose simple personality differences and uniques talents, as if being an individual is something that needs to be treated.

Asperger's exhibits higher percentages of alternative sexualities than in the general population, but still relatively low percentages within the Aspergers population.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 7:15:38 PM
I have Aspergers, and can safely say...I don't have this issue. :P
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:22:29 PM
A high number of people that are asexual have Aspergers, but most people with Aspergers are not asexual. http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:30:43 PM
At 9/18/2012 7:13:56 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 9/18/2012 9:21:33 AM, Ron-Paul wrote:

I was "cleared" of Asperges a few years ago,

Cleared? Do you mean they decided you had been misdiagnosed?

No. Some doctors had suggested it, but upon further examination by a psychiatrist, I was said to not have it.
but several people, including my Mother, said I have it in at least a moderate form.

The diagnostic criteria is mostly based on qualitative factors, as such, it's very open to interpretation and judgement, but it's a spectrum with a wide range of behavioral interpretations, bias is common, as well as projecting society's prejudices onto those who are different. Everybody falls somewhere on the AS line at times, as I mentioned, there's nothing typical about neurotypicals.

Asperger's is very widely overdiagnosed today, it's a somewhat trendy thing in the medical community, as well as there is a tendency to try to "label" different personalities and simple idiosyncracies so they can be put into the DSM IV, I believe they've gone a little overboard with it in the last couple decades. Anymore, they seem to be looking to diagnose simple personality differences and uniques talents, as if being an individual is something that needs to be treated.

I know all this.

Asperger's exhibits higher percentages of alternative sexualities than in the general population, but still relatively low percentages within the Aspergers population.

Makes sense.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 9:31:57 PM
At 9/18/2012 9:22:29 PM, 16kadams wrote:
A high number of people that are asexual have Aspergers, but most people with Aspergers are not asexual. http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.com...

Ah, this makes sense. Damn.
toxicmaniac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 7:35:52 AM
Hello my name is Mark and just like you i am officially diagnosed with Asperger syndrome but i am Bisexual.

I doubt that Aspergers and asexuality are exclusive to eachother but i do think it has things in common.

A very other common disorder that does along Aspergers is Alexithymia, People with alexithymia often include lacking imagination, intuition, empathy, and drive-fulfillment fantasy.

So basicly Alexithymia means that you avoid emotionally close relationships and are indifferent to it similiar to asexuality.
"Teach a man to reason, and he'll think for a lifetime."
- Phil Plait
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 1:00:20 PM
At 9/18/2012 7:57:28 AM, Microsuck wrote:

I also have aspergers and am gay. There does; however, seem to be a connection between asperger's syndrome and asexuality/homosexuality.

"[T]here is a growing body of subjective evidence that Aspergers adults are more likely than those without Aspergers to self-identify with sexualities other than heterosexuality (e.g., asexuality, pansexuality, polysexuality, bisexuality)." http://www.myaspergerschild.com...

Recognize that my input to just be who you are was directed at everyone else. In your case, it might be best to try to be somebody else :)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2012 6:21:52 PM
At 9/19/2012 7:35:52 AM, toxicmaniac wrote:
Hello my name is Mark and just like you i am officially diagnosed with Asperger syndrome but i am Bisexual.

I doubt that Aspergers and asexuality are exclusive to eachother but i do think it has things in common.

A very other common disorder that does along Aspergers is Alexithymia, People with alexithymia often include lacking imagination, intuition, empathy, and drive-fulfillment fantasy.

So basicly Alexithymia means that you avoid emotionally close relationships and are indifferent to it similiar to asexuality.

Well I'm certainly capable of friendships and even romantic relationships. It's sexual relationships that are questionable though. I have never felt any desire for such a thing.