Jump to topic:

Recycling Bullsh!t

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 5:13:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:04:15 AM
I've seen it
I've loved it
I'm now going to +1 it
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:48:11 AM
I've seen this before. I even wrote a paper on it for extra credit. But people get offended like you say you wanna stab their child or something.
kfc
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:24:52 PM
I know aluminum is good to recycle but what about glass? Some states pay you for glass bottles but is that a subsidy or are they really worth recycling?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 9:49:58 AM
If people just realized they are hurting future generations who will be able to mine today's garbage dumps for tomorrows resources, we would all go out and buy another garbage can.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:14:03 PM
At 9/25/2012 8:48:11 AM, Koopin wrote:
I've seen this before. I even wrote a paper on it for extra credit. But people get offended like you say you wanna stab their child or something.

Lololol
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:41:38 PM
I actually disagree with this. The idea, which seems reasonable, is that If recycling is really profitable, than private companies will pay for it rather than it be subsidized by the government. Except the process of dumping garbage is also an expensive process subsidized by the government. The reason the government subsidizes this instead of charging citizens to dump their trash, is that people would just deposit their trash in unsanitary manners: burning or just dumping it in the woods. This experiment has been done before. It was in freakonomics.

It might be cheaper for companies to just mine the product than use recycled material. But is it cheaper to mine the product and than dump the product vs. recycling the material.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:27:49 PM
At 9/26/2012 5:41:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I actually disagree with this. The idea, which seems reasonable, is that If recycling is really profitable, than private companies will pay for it rather than it be subsidized by the government. Except the process of dumping garbage is also an expensive process subsidized by the government. The reason the government subsidizes this instead of charging citizens to dump their trash, is that people would just deposit their trash in unsanitary manners: burning or just dumping it in the woods. This experiment has been done before. It was in freakonomics.

Where does government subsidize trash? Everywhere I've ever lived you have to pay for trash pick up and people who live in the country do burn their trash.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:45:54 PM
At 9/26/2012 6:27:49 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Where does government subsidize trash? Everywhere I've ever lived you have to pay for trash pick up and people who live in the country do burn their trash.

Does it really cost money for trash pick up? I always thought that it was provided for free. Perhaps its per unit trash collection that causes this incentive problems of burning trash. Anyways, I don't know If the price of trash collection reflects the cost of trash collection. Most public transportation services lose money even though you still have to pay for them.
Open borders debate:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 7:38:43 PM
At 9/26/2012 6:45:54 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Does it really cost money for trash pick up? I always thought that it was provided for free. Perhaps its per unit trash collection that causes this incentive problems of burning trash. Anyways, I don't know If the price of trash collection reflects the cost of trash collection. Most public transportation services lose money even though you still have to pay for them.

Yeah, I pay.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 8:14:05 PM
At 9/25/2012 8:24:52 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I know aluminum is good to recycle but what about glass? Some states pay you for glass bottles but is that a subsidy or are they really worth recycling?

When I was a kid we did this thing called a "deposit" on glass bottles. You brought them back to the store and they were used over and over again. They were not smashed and melted down. They were washed and reused. The generations from the 80's and after are ten times more wasteful and bad for the environment than previous generations were in terms of reuse and recycling. I acknowledge the air and water thing but you have to know about it to do something about it. We have done enough, we don't need anymore air and water regulations, that job is done and has been successful. Just enforce the laws already on the books and maybe get rid of a few that have no cost benefit.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 9:00:28 PM
At 9/26/2012 6:45:54 PM, darkkermit wrote:

We have to pay for trash pickup here. I have relatives that always drive to a local dumpster under the veil of darkness to dump their trash. Getting caught would incur a fine.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 3:52:56 PM
We recycle, we have five small bins in a room off the kitchen that I throw in the car and dump at a recycling center every weekend (it's on the way almost anywhere from where I live). It's interesting that they addressed how ingrained it is in our minds, we've recycled for years and although I believe everything they said in this video, I don't know that I will be able to stop, it's just something I do now.

Wierd huh?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:24:42 PM
I love how it's put on a moral level, and people that don't recycle are essentially sinning against the earth.

I've known for a long while that paper recycling was just a feel good scam, and people pay extra for recycled copy paper, just so they can feel good.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:31:24 PM

It might be cheaper for companies to just mine the product than use recycled material. But is it cheaper to mine the product and than dump the product vs. recycling the material.:

The point they're making is that it's not as cost effective as it seems, makes people in the recycling industry rich, uses more energy to reconstitute products versus making them from scratch. So where's the benefit, other than creating the illusion that you're "making a difference?"

Burning trash or dumping them in the woods is a non-sequitur. No one is arguing that.

Whether it is wholly accurate I do not know for certain.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:35:44 PM
At 9/28/2012 1:24:42 PM, innomen wrote:
I love how it's put on a moral level, and people that don't recycle are essentially sinning against the earth.

I've known for a long while that paper recycling was just a feel good scam, and people pay extra for recycled copy paper, just so they can feel good.:

Because it's been inextricably linked to the whole Earth Movement. But you can tithe for your sins by off-setting your gas emissions via carbon credits.

It's not a ponzi scheme if it's in the name of Global Warming!

Bless you, my child. Recycle thine cardboard, and go forth producing low emissions.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 2:05:00 PM
My problem with programs like this is that they have a very clear agenda. We are basical seeing a one round debate. The BoP is put on Pro, but we only see the argumenta that Con can defend against and Pro is never allowed to defend against Cons accusations. Also there are some pretty big leaps in logic here and there.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 7:37:46 PM
At 9/28/2012 2:05:00 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
My problem with programs like this is that they have a very clear agenda. We are basical seeing a one round debate. The BoP is put on Pro, but we only see the argumenta that Con can defend against and Pro is never allowed to defend against Cons accusations. Also there are some pretty big leaps in logic here and there.

Penn and Teller are libertarian. I don't see how that is inherently biased in favour/opposed to recycling.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 10:02:20 PM
At 9/27/2012 3:52:56 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
We recycle, we have five small bins in a room off the kitchen that I throw in the car and dump at a recycling center every weekend (it's on the way almost anywhere from where I live). It's interesting that they addressed how ingrained it is in our minds, we've recycled for years and although I believe everything they said in this video, I don't know that I will be able to stop, it's just something I do now.

Wierd huh?

They have addiction centers for that sort of thing.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 12:34:17 AM
At 9/28/2012 1:31:24 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

It might be cheaper for companies to just mine the product than use recycled material. But is it cheaper to mine the product and than dump the product vs. recycling the material.:

The point they're making is that it's not as cost effective as it seems, makes people in the recycling industry rich,

who gets wealthy off of the recycling industry? I want to know so I can start my own company :p.

uses more energy to reconstitute products versus making them from scratch.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Wrong. There are definitely energy savings. Although I don't particularly care about energy savings in the first place.

So where's the benefit, other than creating the illusion that you're "making a difference?"

There are energy and air pollution savings for most of them. Well, mainly energy savings. Its not super efficient since there are energy costs and pollution costs associated with recycling. But its not greater than the energy and pollution costs of making a new on, which Penn and Teller asserted. Penn & Teller is a lot of bullsh1t.

There could be cost savings. I don't know about the cost savings since both of them are government run industries that its hard to compare prices. I don't know how much more is recyled. But you have to run the analysis not based on how much it costs to produce, but how much it costs to produce AND dispose.

Burning trash or dumping them in the woods is a non-sequitur. No one is arguing that.

Whether it is wholly accurate I do not know for certain.

Yes, but if left to the free market, its a very real possibility.
Open borders debate:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 12:42:43 AM
At 9/26/2012 8:14:05 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/25/2012 8:24:52 PM, lewis20 wrote:

When I was a kid we did this thing called a "deposit" on glass bottles. You brought them back to the store and they were used over and over again. They were not smashed and melted down. They were washed and reused. The generations from the 80's and after are ten times more wasteful and bad for the environment than previous generations were in terms of reuse and recycling. I acknowledge the air and water thing but you have to know about it to do something about it. We have done enough, we don't need anymore air and water regulations, that job is done and has been successful. Just enforce the laws already on the books and maybe get rid of a few that have no cost benefit.

Everything was just perfect back then wasn't it? Gosh, how is it that everyone else seems to forget that utopia?!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-