Jump to topic:

The Diet of our Ancestors

yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2012 8:42:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
We are finding that low carb diets are curing or managing Alzheimer, epilepsy, Migraine headaches, depression, bipolar and schizophrenia etc.. This is truly interesting to me, have any of you looked in to this and what are your thoughts. I would love to have a conversation about this with anyone.
Me
Noradrenergic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 6:10:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/25/2012 8:42:45 AM, yoda878 wrote:
We are finding that low carb diets are curing or managing Alzheimer, epilepsy, Migraine headaches, depression, bipolar and schizophrenia etc.. This is truly interesting to me, have any of you looked in to this and what are your thoughts. I would love to have a conversation about this with anyone.

I don't think this diet is very scientifically based. I think that the assumption that some previous ancestor of ours x number of years ago ate y means it is good for us in the present time to eat the same thing is flawed logic.

Low carbs generally means high protein, which seems to insinuate high meat consumption. While this may have been advantageous thousands of years ago when food was scarce and individuals only wanted to live long enough to pass on their genes, in modern society we seem to be aiming for extended life expectancy, and high meat diets appear to be linked with premature death from various diseases like cardiovascular diseases and cancer.

This sort of diet reminds me of the Atkins. Think of it as you will, my two cents.