Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Bill Nye that on Science Guy

Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 2:07:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.denverpost.com...

So it would seem Bill Nye the Science Guy(love that show), wants to ban the teaching of creationism in schools. I would like to know you whether or not you agree and why.

My opinion: I do not agree. I do not agree with creationism, but I also respect the beliefs of others regardless of my own.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:42:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Creationism has no place in a science class for obvious reasons.

If you want to include it in a mythology class, go ahead.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:45:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Creationism has no place in a science class. Public schools are not about religion, they should not teach any religious views.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:52:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 4:45:55 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Creationism has no place in a science class. Public schools are not about religion, they should not teach any religious views.

Inb4 atheism and non-sequitur evolution is a religion.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:12:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with Bill, it shouldn't be taught as science, and Bill Nye is the science guy.

Perhaps it should be reviewed in order for students to be well informed, so I suppose it's an issue that should be discussed, maybe it has a place in a current events, modern civilization, or political education class, something like that, not sure what they call it today.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 5:52:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 5:47:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
derp

derpity derp derp
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:29:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If creationism is taught in schools, I want lessons on the tooth fairy too.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 6:43:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Which schools teach creationism?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 9:50:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM, Df0512 wrote:
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.


What does this have to do with schools?

I don't care what they view as a fairy tale. Scientific evidence is against it. That's it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 9:50:43 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM, Df0512 wrote:
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.


What does this have to do with schools?

I don't care what they view as a fairy tale. Scientific evidence is against it. That's it.

The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 11:02:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:50:43 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM, Df0512 wrote:
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.


What does this have to do with schools?

I don't care what they view as a fairy tale. Scientific evidence is against it. That's it.

The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Why should I respect somebody's opinion that is factually incorrect?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:51:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM, Df0512 wrote:
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.

That's not true, the official Catholic position is one of theistic evolution and the theory of evolution is part of the biology curriculum taught in Catholic Schools. They teach that the evolutionary process is directed by God and that the human soul is a creation of God, but evolution is taught, not creationism.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:15:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 12:51:17 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM, Df0512 wrote:
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.

That's not true, the official Catholic position is one of theistic evolution and the theory of evolution is part of the biology curriculum taught in Catholic Schools. They teach that the evolutionary process is directed by God and that the human soul is a creation of God, but evolution is taught, not creationism.

The point is that public schools do not teach creationism. I do not know what schools are teaching it. So why should we tell those schools not to.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:20:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 11:02:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:50:43 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM, Df0512 wrote:
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.


What does this have to do with schools?

I don't care what they view as a fairy tale. Scientific evidence is against it. That's it.

The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Why should I respect somebody's opinion that is factually incorrect?

You should respect it because it is the moral thing to do. Just because you respect doesn't mean you have to agree with it. This is a country of tolerance. The reason why we are the greatest country ever is because we respect everyone opinions.

Voltaire ones said "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

If we lose that prospective we lose a lot.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:23:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 2:07:23 PM, Df0512 wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com...

So it would seem Bill Nye the Science Guy(love that show), wants to ban the teaching of creationism in schools. I would like to know you whether or not you agree and why.

My opinion: I do not agree. I do not agree with creationism, but I also respect the beliefs of others regardless of my own.

He is an indoctrinationist.
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:42:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 10:20:27 AM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 11:02:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:50:43 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM, Df0512 wrote:
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.


What does this have to do with schools?

I don't care what they view as a fairy tale. Scientific evidence is against it. That's it.

The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Why should I respect somebody's opinion that is factually incorrect?

You should respect it because it is the moral thing to do. Just because you respect doesn't mean you have to agree with it. This is a country of tolerance. The reason why we are the greatest country ever is because we respect everyone opinions.

Voltaire ones said "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

If we lose that prospective we lose a lot.

Theres a difference between saying ones own opinion and teaching bullsh*t to kids whose parents cant understand evolution and thus want to protect their kids from understanding it.

If your going to let creationism be taught because you respect it then I assume you would also allow for the stork theory to be taught about where babies come from
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Thaumaturgy
Posts: 166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:50:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Hmmmm, I'd be surprised if many Catholic schools teach creationism. My wife is the product of full Catholic education and they were taught evolution. If I recall the Catholic church really doesn't have a beef with evolution per se.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:02:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 11:50:33 AM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Hmmmm, I'd be surprised if many Catholic schools teach creationism. My wife is the product of full Catholic education and they were taught evolution. If I recall the Catholic church really doesn't have a beef with evolution per se.

You are probably right. I don't know if catholic schools are teaching creationism. I only said catholic schools because I don't know what schools are teaching it. I assume some still are if Bill Nye is making a fuss about it.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:15:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 11:42:56 AM, imabench wrote:
At 9/27/2012 10:20:27 AM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 11:02:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:50:43 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/26/2012 9:27:11 PM, Df0512 wrote:
Wow. Well I dnt know of any public schools teaching creationism. I believe they only teach that in catholic schools. And catholic dont see it as a fairy tale. They see is as truth. And although we may not agree we cant control what parents decide to teach their children.


What does this have to do with schools?

I don't care what they view as a fairy tale. Scientific evidence is against it. That's it.

The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Why should I respect somebody's opinion that is factually incorrect?

You should respect it because it is the moral thing to do. Just because you respect doesn't mean you have to agree with it. This is a country of tolerance. The reason why we are the greatest country ever is because we respect everyone opinions.

Voltaire ones said "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

If we lose that prospective we lose a lot.

Theres a difference between saying ones own opinion and teaching bullsh*t to kids whose parents cant understand evolution and thus want to protect their kids from understanding it.

If your going to let creationism be taught because you respect it then I assume you would also allow for the stork theory to be taught about where babies come from

People have not created entire religious beliefs based on the stork. People haven't lived or died in the name of the stork. People don't dedicate their lives to serving the stork. So yes peoples opinions do matter and no the stork shouldn't be taught in schools. Why you would even put them in the same category is beyond me. I know your thinking they are the same because they are essentially "made up", but that doesn't matter. And we definitely can't tell other people how to raise their children.

Once again, I am not a religious person. I grew up in church. Them good ol southern baptist churches too lol. My father is a pastor, so I know I thing or two about dedication and those people are dedicated. And as ridiculous as I think it is, I respect them because living according to the bible is HARD.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:19:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 12:02:37 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 11:50:33 AM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Hmmmm, I'd be surprised if many Catholic schools teach creationism. My wife is the product of full Catholic education and they were taught evolution. If I recall the Catholic church really doesn't have a beef with evolution per se.

You are probably right. I don't know if catholic schools are teaching creationism. I only said catholic schools because I don't know what schools are teaching it. I assume some still are if Bill Nye is making a fuss about it.

I doubt many are, if so they are obscure private schools, several states have attempted to impose the teaching of creationism as an alternative understanding in the public school system but it's been struck down by the courts every time. I think if that's what you want your kids to learn at school you pretty much have to home school them.

Bill Nye is probably referring to the politics around the situation, a lot of folks want it taught but the courts aren't going to allow it.

Regarding the people who want to abolish the separation of church and state to introduce it into the school curriculum, I wonder if they realize that can go both ways and how they'd feel if their own argument were turned around and on that basis we insisted that their children be exposed to alternative understandings such as Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism in Sunday school, you know, so they could make their own decisions. Bet that would shut the whole debate down in about a minute.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:27:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 12:19:31 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 9/27/2012 12:02:37 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 11:50:33 AM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Hmmmm, I'd be surprised if many Catholic schools teach creationism. My wife is the product of full Catholic education and they were taught evolution. If I recall the Catholic church really doesn't have a beef with evolution per se.

You are probably right. I don't know if catholic schools are teaching creationism. I only said catholic schools because I don't know what schools are teaching it. I assume some still are if Bill Nye is making a fuss about it.

I doubt many are, if so they are obscure private schools, several states have attempted to impose the teaching of creationism as an alternative understanding in the public school system but it's been struck down by the courts every time. I think if that's what you want your kids to learn at school you pretty much have to home school them.

Bill Nye is probably referring to the politics around the situation, a lot of folks want it taught but the courts aren't going to allow it.

Regarding the people who want to abolish the separation of church and state to introduce it into the school curriculum, I wonder if they realize that can go both ways and how they'd feel if their own argument were turned around and on that basis we insisted that their children be exposed to alternative understandings such as Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism in Sunday school, you know, so they could make their own decisions. Bet that would shut the whole debate down in about a minute.

Well I dont expect them to teach basis toward any religion. I only believe in the most basic teaching of creationism. Im talking god created this and this, and this is how. And maybe they should include the beliefs of other religions as well. I mean the majority of the humans living on this earth believe in some type of deity. If anything we should teach it just to inform. And Im not talking bout a entire class revolving around the subject but maybe a chapter or something i dnt know lol.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:48:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 1:27:08 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 12:19:31 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 9/27/2012 12:02:37 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 11:50:33 AM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Hmmmm, I'd be surprised if many Catholic schools teach creationism. My wife is the product of full Catholic education and they were taught evolution. If I recall the Catholic church really doesn't have a beef with evolution per se.

You are probably right. I don't know if catholic schools are teaching creationism. I only said catholic schools because I don't know what schools are teaching it. I assume some still are if Bill Nye is making a fuss about it.

I doubt many are, if so they are obscure private schools, several states have attempted to impose the teaching of creationism as an alternative understanding in the public school system but it's been struck down by the courts every time. I think if that's what you want your kids to learn at school you pretty much have to home school them.

Bill Nye is probably referring to the politics around the situation, a lot of folks want it taught but the courts aren't going to allow it.

Regarding the people who want to abolish the separation of church and state to introduce it into the school curriculum, I wonder if they realize that can go both ways and how they'd feel if their own argument were turned around and on that basis we insisted that their children be exposed to alternative understandings such as Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism in Sunday school, you know, so they could make their own decisions. Bet that would shut the whole debate down in about a minute.

Well I dont expect them to teach basis toward any religion. I only believe in the most basic teaching of creationism. Im talking god created this and this, and this is how. And maybe they should include the beliefs of other religions as well. I mean the majority of the humans living on this earth believe in some type of deity. If anything we should teach it just to inform. And Im not talking bout a entire class revolving around the subject but maybe a chapter or something i dnt know lol.

Like I said in my first post in the thread, I think there's a place for such discussion in school, kids need an education about what they will encounter in the real world, but it shouldn't be in science class, perhaps current events, cultural studies, some kind of class like that. When they get out of school they are entering a diverse society and a multicultural workplace, I'd hope the school is doing something to prepare them for it.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 6:49:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 1:48:48 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 9/27/2012 1:27:08 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 12:19:31 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 9/27/2012 12:02:37 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 11:50:33 AM, Thaumaturgy wrote:
At 9/26/2012 10:43:53 PM, Df0512 wrote:
The question in the post is about creationism being banned in schools. It has everything to do with schools. Its more about respecting other peoples opinions I think. But like I said essentially we are talking about catholic schools.

Hmmmm, I'd be surprised if many Catholic schools teach creationism. My wife is the product of full Catholic education and they were taught evolution. If I recall the Catholic church really doesn't have a beef with evolution per se.

You are probably right. I don't know if catholic schools are teaching creationism. I only said catholic schools because I don't know what schools are teaching it. I assume some still are if Bill Nye is making a fuss about it.

I doubt many are, if so they are obscure private schools, several states have attempted to impose the teaching of creationism as an alternative understanding in the public school system but it's been struck down by the courts every time. I think if that's what you want your kids to learn at school you pretty much have to home school them.

Bill Nye is probably referring to the politics around the situation, a lot of folks want it taught but the courts aren't going to allow it.

Regarding the people who want to abolish the separation of church and state to introduce it into the school curriculum, I wonder if they realize that can go both ways and how they'd feel if their own argument were turned around and on that basis we insisted that their children be exposed to alternative understandings such as Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism in Sunday school, you know, so they could make their own decisions. Bet that would shut the whole debate down in about a minute.

Well I dont expect them to teach basis toward any religion. I only believe in the most basic teaching of creationism. Im talking god created this and this, and this is how. And maybe they should include the beliefs of other religions as well. I mean the majority of the humans living on this earth believe in some type of deity. If anything we should teach it just to inform. And Im not talking bout a entire class revolving around the subject but maybe a chapter or something i dnt know lol.

Like I said in my first post in the thread, I think there's a place for such discussion in school, kids need an education about what they will encounter in the real world, but it shouldn't be in science class, perhaps current events, cultural studies, some kind of class like that. When they get out of school they are entering a diverse society and a multicultural workplace, I'd hope the school is doing something to prepare them for it.

I dont disagree with that. I'm not even necessarily saying it should be in math class. I just dont think its fair to remove it all completely.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:12:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I wonder what "teaching creationism" entails, because I rarely ever come across anyone who's interpretation of "creationism" coincides with what I've read in the Bible.

If it entails teaching from the Bible, then it's unconstitutional. Either way, I've never once heard a thing about God in any school I've ever attended.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:21:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 9:12:23 PM, Ren wrote:
I wonder what "teaching creationism" entails, because I rarely ever come across anyone who's interpretation of "creationism" coincides with what I've read in the Bible.

If it entails teaching from the Bible, then it's unconstitutional. Either way, I've never once heard a thing about God in any school I've ever attended.

Keeping it out of public schools wouldn't be unconstitutional. That's why I would have to assume that only religious schools are teaching creationism. Because the point is to not make people do anything and provide an option.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:24:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 9:21:19 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:12:23 PM, Ren wrote:
I wonder what "teaching creationism" entails, because I rarely ever come across anyone who's interpretation of "creationism" coincides with what I've read in the Bible.

If it entails teaching from the Bible, then it's unconstitutional. Either way, I've never once heard a thing about God in any school I've ever attended.

Keeping it out of public schools wouldn't be unconstitutional. That's why I would have to assume that only religious schools are teaching creationism. Because the point is to not make people do anything and provide an option.

Teaching out of the Bible is unconstitutional. This is a disestablishmentarian state.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:01:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 9:24:29 PM, Ren wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:21:19 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:12:23 PM, Ren wrote:
I wonder what "teaching creationism" entails, because I rarely ever come across anyone who's interpretation of "creationism" coincides with what I've read in the Bible.

If it entails teaching from the Bible, then it's unconstitutional. Either way, I've never once heard a thing about God in any school I've ever attended.

Keeping it out of public schools wouldn't be unconstitutional. That's why I would have to assume that only religious schools are teaching creationism. Because the point is to not make people do anything and provide an option.

Teaching out of the Bible is unconstitutional. This is a disestablishmentarian state.

Well the constitution can be used to fit any prospective. And no one is asking for The church if America. Just for people to be able to teach their children what they want.