Jump to topic:

The Most Addicting Drugs

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 11:57:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
#1 Nicotine. Although studies vary, it is generally believed that over 30% of those individuals who use nicotine for a period of time become addicted. That is a high number considering the availability of the product, the manner in which it is marketed towards young people, and the deadly consequences of a lifetime of use.

#2 Caffeine. Perhaps another shocker for some, Caffeine ranks high on the list, with almost 30% of casual users becoming addicted. This stimulant is found is so many things we consume every day that you have to look hard to find a product without it.

#3 Heroin. Now, an illegal drug makes its first appearance on the list. Although one-hundred years ago Heroin was used for a variety of medicinal purposes, the medical community soon realized that people were becoming addicted in record numbers. The drug was taken off of the market, but illicit use remains rampant to this day " destroying lives of those from all walks of life, all over the world. 25% of those who use Heroin for a period of time become addicted to the drug.

#4 Cocaine. Another drug that costs families, and our society as a whole, cocaine is a heavily habit forming drug. While it does enter the list as slightly less addictive that Nicotine and Caffeine, the effects of Cocaine"s (and heroin"s) use are far more serious. Drug rehab programs list cocaine as one of the top addictions they face daily.

#5 Alcohol. The legalized drug with potentially devastating consequences, alcohol reduces the ability of your brain to function properly. Addictive for 15% of those who use it regularly, alcohol is especially problematic for young people, where binge drinking and dangerous alcohol-related activities are prevalent.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 12:00:34 AM
I'm calling BS on this list. No way cocaine or heroin is less addictive then caffeine. I'm also going to put crystal meth on highly addictive list.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 12:15:03 AM
Dependence

Physical dependence to a drug can be identified by withdrawal symptoms if the drug is abruptly stopped or decreased. While physical dependence may be a component of addiction, it is not, in and of itself, addiction. In fact, physical dependence is a consequence of many medications. For example, certain blood pressure medications can cause physical dependence. Yet, these medications do not lead to addiction.

Physical dependence may be an expected outcome of long-term therapeutic use of benzodiazepines. Such dependence may cause withdrawal symptoms if the medication is stopped abruptly or decreased too fast.

Addiction

Drug addiction is a brain disease identified by components of physical and psychological dependence. Detoxification can result in the end of physical dependence, but the psychological component maintains a steadfast hold on the addict. It is this component that makes maintaining sobriety so difficult for sufferers. There is no cure for addiction and maintaining sobriety is usually an ongoing quest for those afflicted.

Drug addiction results in drug-seeking behaviors and continued use despite negative consequences.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 1:12:02 AM
I was looking at these numbers again, and it hits me.

They're not talking about which drug is most addicting in terms of physical dependence.

They're talking about which drug is addicting in terms of "what percentage of users of this drug can be considered 'addicted.""
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 1:14:18 AM
At 10/6/2012 1:12:02 AM, Wnope wrote:

They're not talking about which drug is most addicting in terms of physical dependence.

They're talking about which drug is addicting in terms of "what percentage of users of this drug can be considered 'addicted.""

As WS points out, physical dependence is the wrong term.

However listing the "Most Addictive drugs" by what percentage of users get addicted isn't exactly what most people are thinking when they talk about "addictive."
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 4:28:45 AM
At 10/6/2012 1:14:18 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 10/6/2012 1:12:02 AM, Wnope wrote:

As WS points out, physical dependence is the wrong term.

However listing the "Most Addictive drugs" by what percentage of users get addicted isn't exactly what most people are thinking when they talk about "addictive."

Yeah, I concede that point. The degree to which one can be addicted to heroin is much greater than the degree to which one can be addicted to caffeine. When was the last time you've heard, "I'll suck your dick for a coffee," in a truck stop?
Double_Helix46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 4:36:25 AM
At 10/6/2012 4:28:45 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
"I'll suck your dick for a coffee," in a truck stop?

ROFL. Then I looked again and again I, ROFL!
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 4:51:09 PM
Based on current research...

32% of tobacco users get addicted
10-30% of marijuana users get addicted, 9% will get horribly addicted
23% of heroin users get addicted
17% of cocaine users get addicted
15% of alcohol users get addicted

It's easier to quit pot then tobacco. Only 10% of pot users get a bad addiction. I would never do it, though.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 4:44:08 AM
At 10/6/2012 4:36:25 AM, Double_Helix46 wrote:
At 10/6/2012 4:28:45 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
"I'll suck your dick for a coffee," in a truck stop?

ROFL. Then I looked again and again I, ROFL!

haha, then put it in your signature. When you click this for a reply, while you're on the screen for typing, look below for a button that says, "Edit My Signature," and put it in quotes on your sig. You can do this with whatever you want up to 500 characters.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 6:46:16 PM
At 10/5/2012 11:57:02 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
#1 Nicotine. Although studies vary, it is generally believed that over 30% of those individuals who use nicotine for a period of time become addicted. That is a high number considering the availability of the product, the manner in which it is marketed towards young people, and the deadly consequences of a lifetime of use.

Nicotine is fvcking evil stuff. I'm once again (albeit much more successfully so far) trying to keep off the coffin nails.

#2 Caffeine. Perhaps another shocker for some, Caffeine ranks high on the list, with almost 30% of casual users becoming addicted. This stimulant is found is so many things we consume every day that you have to look hard to find a product without it.

I get a headache if I don't have a tea or coffee in the morning.

#3 Heroin. Now, an illegal drug makes its first appearance on the list. Although one-hundred years ago Heroin was used for a variety of medicinal purposes, the medical community soon realized that people were becoming addicted in record numbers. The drug was taken off of the market, but illicit use remains rampant to this day " destroying lives of those from all walks of life, all over the world. 25% of those who use Heroin for a period of time become addicted to the drug.

Heroin turns people into liars and thieves. I know.

#4 Cocaine. Another drug that costs families, and our society as a whole, cocaine is a heavily habit forming drug. While it does enter the list as slightly less addictive that Nicotine and Caffeine, the effects of Cocaine"s (and heroin"s) use are far more serious. Drug rehab programs list cocaine as one of the top addictions they face daily.

Always want to try coke. Way to expensive and hard to get quality stuff in Australia for a poor bloke like me.

#5 Alcohol. The legalized drug with potentially devastating consequences, alcohol reduces the ability of your brain to function properly. Addictive for 15% of those who use it regularly, alcohol is especially problematic for young people, where binge drinking and dangerous alcohol-related activities are prevalent.

Never been addicted to alcohol; don't like being drunk enough.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 8:32:21 PM
I have tried Nicotine, Caffeine and Alcohol. The addiction thing kinda makes sense, I have felt the most "addiction" with nicotine, followed by caffeine, then alcohol. Yet I enjoy alcohol the most, coffee/tea/energy drinks second and smoking the least.